Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Victor Ortiz was very comepetetive vs Mayweather
geovan10
post Jan 15 2014, 02:02 AM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,105

While Mayweather was winning the fight, mostly due to his scary accurate lead right hands, Ortiz managed to get on the inside whenever he wanted to and was actually hitting(landing left hand leads) and roughing Mayweather on the ropes. Ortiz never felt Mayweathers power. Round 4 was turning into Ortiz's favor until the whole headbutt KO situation. Should the fight live on I believe Ortiz wouldve made Mayweather actually have to dig in and work for the win. If Ortiz beats Collazo, gets Danny Garcia next and beats him in march/april. Would you be fond of Mayweather/Ortiz 2? Very sell-able fight(who else is there left with mayweather?) and could be labeled "Unfinished Business".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 15 2014, 04:49 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Welcome to the forums.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Jan 15 2014, 04:56 AM
Post #3

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

I can't even express how much this business IS finished.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 15 2014, 06:40 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

rewatching the fight, Ortiz had some success in the first two rounds, but thats about it, not enough to award him the rounds, but like it could be slightly competitive, rather than the one sided beatings we've seen. He had some success with some left hands, but after the first two rounds he didn't do much. Although I can see the argument that Mayweather has issues with southpaws.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jan 15 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

Nah, Ortiz was eating straight rights all night long and his face was already starting to swell in that 4th round. He was having "some success" but that was because he was like 164 on fight night. He was going to get badly cut or stopped eventually.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Jan 15 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

The Ghost gave Mayweather more problems in the first few rounds than Ortiz did. Robert was countering Mayweather with body shots everytime he threw a punch in those early rounds and they were landing. I was assuming Canelo would take that strategy into the fight against Mayweather as well. With Ortiz I just shake my head, I truly believe he could have got up from the KDbut chose not to. Mentally he quit and took the easy way out.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 15 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #7

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (geovan10 @ Jan 15 2014, 01:02 AM) *
While Mayweather was winning the fight, mostly due to his scary accurate lead right hands, Ortiz managed to get on the inside whenever he wanted to and was actually hitting(landing left hand leads) and roughing Mayweather on the ropes. Ortiz never felt Mayweathers power. Round 4 was turning into Ortiz's favor until the whole headbutt KO situation. Should the fight live on I believe Ortiz wouldve made Mayweather actually have to dig in and work for the win. If Ortiz beats Collazo, gets Danny Garcia next and beats him in march/april. Would you be fond of Mayweather/Ortiz 2? Very sell-able fight(who else is there left with mayweather?) and could be labeled "Unfinished Business".

He was competitive but he didn't really start landing until the 4th...and while he was competitive he was still losing rounds. That 4th was going to be the 1sr round he won in the fight and I believe that fight would've been stopped in the 6th or th round. No way he was getting back into the fight with the way that eye was looking. Mayweather didn't have to world star his ass he just chose to retaliate m. The knockout would've came either way. It would've been stopped due to the eye or it would've been a sharp right to put Ortiz down. Ortiz was having success but yet it was clear to me he could've got up and he chose to pack it in. That shows that he knew what he was in for and decided to retire for the night

If Mayweather fights Khan and then Ortiz that's 2ko's more then likely. I'm sure he'd like the sound of that but ain't nobody on the edge of their seat to see a rematch with him and Ortiz. Ortiz got unfinished business more with Josesio then Mayweather. And Collazo is going to be a problem for him too. He needs to build himself back up, ain't nobody checking for Victor. That's not an easy sell

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 15 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I'm gonna be real here...I'd rather see an Ortiz rematch, than a Khan fight at this point. I wouldn't be such a scrub about it, had Khan fought Devon last month.

As for the fight, Victor didn't look terrible, but he was a bit out of his league at some points of the fight. He was having success in the 4th, but he...well...we're all still wondering why the hell he wont truly admit why he did that shit.

I had a pretty good idea of how the Mayweather fight was gonna go, especially after Lamont outwitted and outworked Ortiz just 9 short months before that. Lamont was smaller and didn't have much pop...but he still able to play the cat and mouse game with Victor. Being the bigger guy isn't enough...only when there's a dumb small in front of you, or another big dumb guy standing across the ring from you.

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Jan 15 2014, 10:42 AM
Post #9

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 14,090

QUOTE (geovan10 @ Jan 15 2014, 02:02 AM) *

saw a lot of activity and output from ortiz, but not a lot of success. agree with the others. as floyd warms up throughout a fight and gets accustomed to his opponents, he tends to progress from solo pot shot counters to more 2-3 punch combos. he would've broken ortiz down physically and mentally. also need to ask yourself how long ortiz could have kept up the pace he had in the first part of the fight especially while eating some solid right hands and stiff jabs.

that's a big IF saying ortiz gets a fight with garcia and beats him. floyd is over the rematch days...

+Quote Post
sduck
post Jan 15 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Ortiz had already become mentally broken down, which why he kept headbutting, and didn't get up after the sucker punch. It was a done fight. My brother still thinks it was a fixed fight lol

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:34 PM