IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor revisited.
checkleft
post Jan 18 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

Meldricks trainer was an idiot. Nonetheless that was the greatest robbery I have ever seen. Terrible call by steele.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 18 2013, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Southeastpaw @ Jan 18 2013, 03:53 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) it is.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
Post #13

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 18 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Meldricks trainer was an idiot. Nonetheless that was the greatest robbery I have ever seen. Terrible call by steele.

georgie benton?

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
Post #14

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

Thanks for putting the thread into the right section!

I think that the fact there are two clear possible options to choose from - a robbery/good call makes this fight so great!
I mean, you can see people in between, people on JCC's side and people on Taylor's side.

Jack - Maybe I should put it into other words - during rounds 9 to 12th I could see Chavez really connecting and Meldrick visibly breaking down and tiring. Not that he was out on his feet probably, but JCC was getting to him, which kind of made me anticipate that something is coming.
I seriously blame Taylor's coaches for coming up with a bad strategy...Meldrick spent too much energy in the early rounds.

There are so many variables in judging this fight. Duva's interference, referee, behind the scenes politics, the actual fight.

I know that my heart is on Meldrick's side for sure. He deserved the victory and put literally everything on the line to get it. He probably lost everything in doing so too. On the other hand....I have to take my hat off to Chavez for going for it in the 12th. I am still amazed how his face looked after the fight...nothing!

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Jan 18 2013, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 18 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

This fight pisses me off until this day! No way should that fight should had been stopped with only seconds left. The ref was a idiot and he should had let the bell ring but I guess that would of pissed off the Mexican Mafia. Taylor beat Chavez Sr. ass the entire fight and the called it off at the last second what a robbery.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 18 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 18 2013, 07:29 PM) *
This fight pisses me off until this day! No way should that fight should had been stopped with only seconds left. The ref was a idiot and he should had let the bell ring but I guess that would of pissed off the Mexican Mafia. Taylor beat Chavez Sr. ass the entire fight and the called it off at the last second what a robbery.

i was more upset with what they did to whitaker. straight bullshit.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 19 2013, 02:11 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 18 2013, 04:59 PM) *
georgie benton?

Didn't he say to go out and fight in the 12th even tho that shit was in the bag? And if he wasn't screaming his Fucking brains out after the kd meldrick wouldn't have been so distracted.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 18 2013, 07:59 PM) *

Preach brother.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 19 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #18

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Steele said in an interview (or so he claims) that years later, he spoke to Meldrick and said Meldrick thought he "did the right thing." I don't know if I believe that. Politics comes into question, would Steele had done the same thing if Chavez (A favorite son of the WBC and more of a money maker for Taylor) had dominated Taylor for eight rounds and Taylor had floored Chavez with seconds remaining?

Jack

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Jan 19 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #19

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

I thought the stoppage was suspect - Taylor stood up and to my judgement should have seen seen the scorecards. But I also think it is possible the ref saw a different fight from his closer vantage than everyone else.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 19 2013, 08:56 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 18 2013, 05:59 PM) *

Professor I watched that fight with Sweet Pea a million times and I am trying to figure out what round did Chavez dominate Sweet pea? That defense and those shots he was throwing at Chavez he had no answer! How the hell was that fight a draw? Chavez was a great fighter but he has gotten a bunch of gifts and the Sweet Pea one was the largest! You see there was no rematch! Bullshit!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:27 PM