Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whos in the right?, Canelo not budging from 154 Floyd not budging from 147
logicalThinker
post May 16 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,356

Richard came out and said there is no weight issue but clearly he said it so negotiations wont be n the media. However i jus wanna know if you were the promoter who would you be pushing to budge from their position of weight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 16 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (logicalThinker @ May 16 2013, 06:14 PM) *
Richard came out and said there is no weight issue but clearly he said it so negotiations wont be n the media. However i jus wanna know if you were the promoter who would you be pushing to budge from their position of weight.

floyd made it a big deal that pac was having catchweight fights and made it a point to fight cotto at 154.

canelo is killing himself to make 154 and should really be at 160.

floyd is in the drivers seat and can fight who he chooses. he doesn't need canelo.

canelo has really done nothing...outside of fighting trout (which i thought he wouldn't and i thought he loss) to earn a shot at floyd.

i'd say floyd is in the right....and canelo should just go ahead and fight cotto....and press for the floyd fight after that. that will slowly build his case....because we know he ain't dropping to 147.

with all that being said...i don't see floyds next fight as a ppv event with the available opponents out there.

+Quote Post
hitman
post May 16 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 1,342

canelo is a 154 champion looking to fight another 154 champion, who happens to be the biggest draw in the sport, at 154. how can he be in the wrong? he wants what any fighter would want.

floyd is wrong for asking for 147. he knows canelo can't make that. if he don't want to fight him, just say so and drop the 154 belt.

+Quote Post
logicalThinker
post May 16 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Amateur

Member No.: 13,356

Floyd isnt a 154lber tho hes barely a 147 canelo fight night weight is roughly 170 idk how everyone is ok with that but no one is pressing him tp fightartinez Ward GGG or anyone else. Floyd isnt comin off his budge but if he does dont be surprised if he puts a max weight clause in the contract

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 16 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (hitman @ May 16 2013, 05:43 PM) *
canelo is a 154 champion looking to fight another 154 champion, who happens to be the biggest draw in the sport, at 154. how can he be in the wrong? he wants what any fighter would want.

floyd is wrong for asking for 147. he knows canelo can't make that. if he don't want to fight him, just say so and drop the 154 belt.

Floyd is a 17 year veteran with world titles in 5 different weight classes. He has fought big names in the five respected divisions and he is the highest paid athlete without any endorsements. Who the fuck does Canelo think he is or is talking to. Just like how Floyd had to move up in weight to get the big money fight with oscar, Saul better be willing to do the same. if he can drain light weights and jr. welter weighs to fight him how come he can't sacrifice the same thing? He hasn't done shit to be demanding anything. He should be fighting other 154 fighters!

+Quote Post
hitman
post May 16 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 1,342

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 16 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Floyd is a 17 year veteran with world titles in 5 different weight classes. He has fought big names in the five respected divisions and he is the highest paid athlete without any endorsements. Who the fuck does Canelo think he is or is talking to. Just like how Floyd had to move up in weight to get the big money fight with oscar, Saul better be willing to do the same. if he can drain light weights and jr. welter weighs to fight him how come he can't sacrifice the same thing? He hasn't done shit to be demanding anything. He should be fighting other 154 fighters!

what is even the point of this fight if canelo has to make 147? he'd have no chance and floyd would get no credit.

so he wants a fight at 154, a weight that both guys are champions in, what is out of line about that? his manager said they offered a CW and were rejected.

of course floyd doesn't have to fight him. just say you don't want to fight him. drop the belt. and never again talk about size don't win fights and how you'd never make a guy weaken himself for a fight.

This post has been edited by hitman: May 16 2013, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
KOpower
post May 16 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

Meh, Floyd is just doing what Pac did. I don't think either guy would be in the wrong. The people that are in the wrong are those that slammed Pac for doing it but are now saying how smart Floyd is for doing it. I don't think Pac forced anyone to drop a full weight class either. Margarito and Cotto both fought at a CW. Oscar dropped down to 147 (I think?) but it was Oscar making the demand for Pac to move up...Oscar called the shots in that one.

There is no chance that Canelo drops to 147 though. If that is the real offer, this fight will NEVER take place. I think a CW could happen. The problem with a CW is that Floyd loses a bit of credibility after bragging about how much of a man he was for fighting Cotto at 154.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post May 16 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

I am just about done with the Canelo-Floyd fight as well. I don't want to hope for it the way I hoped to see Mayweather vs Pac. I am ready for Canelo-Cotto. THAT would be a really fun fight. Floyd will fight Khan/Garcia and collect his millions after another "easy money" fight. The cycle will repeat itself again and again. There are many fun/big fights out there for Cotto at 154 and then 160.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 16 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 16 2013, 07:06 PM) *
with all that being said...i don't see floyds next fight as a ppv event with the available opponents out there.

Well thank the 1M+ buyers of the Mayweather/Guerrero fight. If THAT fight did decent numbers, then nearly everything else available for him will do similar numbers.

While we're on that point, let's just say that Floyd is on salary for the remainder of his career. If he cracked $32M for the Guerrero fight, then I think it's safe to say that he doesn't have to fight the upper echelon of opponents for the remainder of his career...if there are any left.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 17 2013, 01:10 AM
Post #10

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (hitman @ May 16 2013, 09:19 PM) *
what is even the point of this fight if canelo has to make 147? he'd have no chance and floyd would get no credit.

so he wants a fight at 154, a weight that both guys are champions in, what is out of line about that? his manager said they offered a CW and were rejected.

of course floyd doesn't have to fight him. just say you don't want to fight him. drop the belt. and never again talk about size don't win fights and how you'd never make a guy weaken himself for a fight.

If your going to critique then you should critique both sides. Canelo hasn't done anything of note to warrant such demands. You sound like the people around him. I truly believe that the idiots he calls managers and trainers are filling his head with delusions that he's bigger then what he really is. Not many casual fans know who he is and tell me who he's beaten..I don't count Trout because I felt he lost that fight. He's made a career off of beating up smaller fighters. Cintron and Lopez had no business being in the ring with Canelo. And they had moments against him

Mayweather is at the top of the sport of boxing whether some like it or not. He's the boss, so in my mind he's in the right. Canelo needs to keep putting in the work and I believe the fight will come and I think it does take place at 154 eventually but not this year. Like I said Mayweather's the boss and in this situation Canelo is like the employee. How the fuck an employee gon dictate to the CEO. Where they do that at? If your going to make a point against Mayweather you should look at the case against Canelo too

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 05:19 AM