IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> J'Leon Love, Floyd's MW Prospect (What did you think of him)??
BrutUalBK
post Feb 24 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

From what I saw tonight of Love, it appears he does have the wrinkles but not all of them. Love IMO did not box very well and he made many mistakes that I see needed some immediate correction and for all the boxing experience that Floyd Jr has it appears he was not telling him the necessary corrections he needed in that fight to be more highly effective.

J'Leon went willing to the ropes from the mere pressure/presence of Findley coming forward without even throwing punches, he never used the uppercut enough as the shorter man (Findley) rushed in with his head down, he didn't double his jab nor did he use it enough throughout the fight and often he fought down to the height of his opponent.

Still and all I think he did gain a valuable source of experience from this fight and will be better for it but he will definitely have to step it up on the learning curve if he's gonna wanna compete at the highest levels and face the likes of the Martinez's and maybe even move up to face the Ward's of the divisions.

Your thoughts??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 24 2013, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

He's only had 15 pro fights. It's supposed to be that way, now if he had a belt or he was 26, 27 etc fights deep then that's an issue. I think he's doing fine and IMO he's the best fighter not named Mayweather in that stable

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Feb 24 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 24 2013, 02:10 AM) *
He's only had 15 pro fights. It's supposed to be that way, now if he had a belt or he was 26, 27 etc fights deep then that's an issue. I think he's doing fine and IMO he's the best fighter not named Mayweather in that stable

THIS.

Also, Floyd is not a trainer yet and I am sure for him too it was a learning experience. From what I know it was his first time in the corner and I think he did ok.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Feb 24 2013, 08:34 AM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

And you have to take into consideration Findley. He deserves credit as well. He was a tough competitor and he's been in there with the best. He's solid opposition. He fought a little dirty but hes not a walk in the park. Yes J'Live could've done better but at the same token I don't think that would've made the fight anyless difficult than it was. Understand Love was training for a southpaw that pulled out and took Findley on about a weeks notice. Findley is a world class fighter. This step up was a good experience for Floyd as a Trainer and Love as a fighter.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 24 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Marcus @ Feb 24 2013, 08:34 AM) *
And you have to take into consideration Findley. He deserves credit as well. He was a tough competitor and he's been in there with the best. He's solid opposition. He fought a little dirty but hes not a walk in the park. Yes J'Live could've done better but at the same token I don't think that would've made the fight anyless difficult than it was. Understand Love was training for a southpaw that pulled out and took Findley on about a weeks notice. Findley is a world class fighter. This step up was a good experience for Floyd as a Trainer and Love as a fighter.

Maybe I was a little hard about the way I said what I did concerning this kid but what I stated is true, Findley was tough but that was about the sum of it/he showed very little skill other than cutting off the ring (he was great at that). He basically hasn't improved since the Lamar Harris fight but i guess it won't matter much until we get to see him getting exposed by other fighters and fighting in the same manner enough to realize that he isn't improving.

Hopefully he will improve but time will tell.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Feb 25 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

J'leon needs to sit down and punch thru his opponents and be a bit more active. other than that he is fine, great poise.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 25 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

findley is a rough dude and that cannot be discounted. to date...i am not impressed with j'leon...but he does have some skill. only time will tell how good he will be. he's being televised because of association....or maybe he's looking special in the gym? he's winning and that's what counts.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Feb 25 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 25 2013, 04:47 PM) *
findley is a rough dude and that cannot be discounted. to date...i am not impressed with j'leon...but he does have some skill. only time will tell how good he will be. he's being televised because of association....or maybe he's looking special in the gym? he's winning and that's what counts.

Margarito and Floyd used him to prepare for Cotto. That has to say something. Findley was excellent at cutting off the ring as stated before and he's never been knocked down. J'Leon was boxing backwards all night. I thought that was pretty impressive. But he does have a little bit more polishing up to do. I say top of next year if he keep gettting W's over opponenets that are solid, i could see him having a title shot.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Feb 25 2013, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 26 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I keep forgetting that he hasn't had but a few fights. Maybe it's because he's getting all of this air time, that makes me think that he's supposed to be better than he appears.

I saw a few errors here and there, and kept getting backed into the ropes and pounded on in a few rounds. With all of that said, his performance can be admired (for taking on a tougher Findley), and excused (due to his lack of pro fights thus far).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 03:14 AM