IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adonis Signs with Al Haymon, (Topics Merged)
mgrover
post Feb 19 2014, 05:12 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

So yeah, no more Sergey fight, hello Hopkins, if he does continue to fight on HBO, then maybe theres hope for other fighters etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Feb 19 2014, 05:20 AM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16184.html

First the Guerrero snatch didn't work and now this. Stevenson is peaking right now with success so far and he seems to be ready for Kovolev giving his continued W's, with B-Hop also legitimately thrown into the discussion. Something's gotta give in this "Cold War" and it seems to me HBO/TR have a lot more to worry about than the other side. Am I wrong?

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Feb 19 2014, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 19 2014, 05:36 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Feb 19 2014, 10:20 AM) *
http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16184.html

First the Guerrero snatch didn't work and now this. Stevenson is peaking right now with success so far and he seems to be ready for Kovolev giving his continued W's, with B-Hop also legitimately thrown into the discussion. Something's gotta give in this "Cold War" and it seems to me HBO/TR have a lot more to worry about than the other side. Am I wrong?

Just made a post about it earlier if somebody could merge the two, I've heard a few things:

1. Stevenson has a 3 fight deal with HBO
2. HBO may not show his next fight because of this
3. Yeah Hopkins
4. No Sergey, DUCKER, call it a smart business decision but all he's being doing he avoiding Sergey when asked, and this puts a whole network between them
5. Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for the cold war, and Stevenson is with Al Haymon but keeps fighting on HBO.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 19 2014, 06:25 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

Just another mouth to feed if you are Stevenson. The big fights now and in the future for Adonis are at HBO. Ward, Kov, Froch, Pascal, JCCJR at aome point, etc.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 19 2014, 06:29 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

If I e doesn't fight Kov then it is 100% a duck. Not sure why Haymon would be against that fight. It is the biggeat fight and biggeat payday. There will be no Hopkins fight as Adonis has a deal with HBO.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Feb 19 2014, 06:42 AM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 19 2014, 05:36 AM) *
Just made a post about it earlier if somebody could merge the two, I've heard a few things:

1. Stevenson has a 3 fight deal with HBO
2. HBO may not show his next fight because of this
3. Yeah Hopkins
4. No Sergey, DUCKER, call it a smart business decision but all he's being doing he avoiding Sergey when asked, and this puts a whole network between them
5. Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for the cold war, and Stevenson is with Al Haymon but keeps fighting on HBO.

I thought HBO was anti-GBP/Haymon? If this 3 fight deal is the case then something's gotta give between the two rivals, right?

I wouldn't call him a ducker. I thinkg like any fighter in his position, he's just going after what makes the most dollars. He's not exactly in his prime ya know, so if Kovolev keeps winning and building up his name then I believe it'll happen. Shit, if B-Hop is still the same B-Hop, then I'd say he's the most dangerous out of the 3, but we shall see.

P.S. I'm sure they'll merge the topics once they see it.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Feb 19 2014, 06:46 AM

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Feb 19 2014, 07:03 AM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (KOpower @ Feb 19 2014, 06:29 AM) *
If I e doesn't fight Kov then it is 100% a duck. Not sure why Haymon would be against that fight. It is the biggeat fight and biggeat payday. There will be no Hopkins fight as Adonis has a deal with HBO.

Come on now, Adonis Stevenson's been knocking dudes down and out just like Kovalev, what does he have to be scared of? This dude is in his mid 30's and has a legit fan base, so why not go for where the money's at? Kovolev don't have that same kind of fan base (yet) besides us boxing fans, so if they fought next, it wouldn't do the kind of numbers it has the potential of doing a couple more fights deep.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 19 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

I think Adonis beats Kovalev. I think he's trying to juice the pot right now. That could work against him, if someone gets to Kovalev before he does...

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 19 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Good move for Stevenson. Haymon takes care of his fighters, one of the few that does that. I'm more interested to see how HBO handles the situation now that Haymon is back in the fold, presuming they continue to work with Adonis after this move. I'm hoping that this starts a thaw in the cold war

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 19 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 19 2014, 03:10 PM) *
Good move for Stevenson. Haymon takes care of his fighters, one of the few that does that. I'm more interested to see how HBO handles the situation now that Haymon is back in the fold, presuming they continue to work with Adonis after this move. I'm hoping that this starts a thaw in the cold war

How is he going to take care of Stevenson right now though? To me it just seems like Stevenson is paying Haymon for...what, exactly? Just to have one of those twins walk him to the ring? Haymon has no pull when it comes to HBO and that is who Stevenson is signed to. There is no threat of taking Adonis to Showtime anytime soon, so where does Haymon's value come into play? Haymon does a good job when it comes to getting his fighters soft touches, but he can't do that to HBO because HBO will tell him to piss off. HBO won't scratch Al's back because he doesn't have many HBO fighters to use as leverage. At Showtime, he has that leverage. Paulie signing with Al was a good move. Lucas signing with Al was a good move. Adonis? Not so much.

Stevenson should have hired Al a few months before the last fight of his HBO deal. That would give him good leverage.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:18 AM