IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FLOYD and PAC, Is there a double standard??
mgrover
post May 7 2013, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ May 7 2013, 06:22 PM) *
People pick and choose their heroes..... Don't they?

I personally don't see the point of them but each to there own
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 02:21 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

there is a double standard because most hold floyd to a higher standard than pac. also...floyd talks a much bigger game with his claim that he's the best ever. pac on the other hand never really said much and it was his bandwagon riders that placed him on the pedestal.

i said it in another post...and i'll say it here. he beats everyone from 140-154. if he wants to be considered the greatest of all time...he'll have to top the guys who have come before him who raised the bar. his 44 victories are impressive...but there are plenty who have done more than that in history. the opposition at his weight is not there for him to stake his claim. i always knew he would beat pac...so i don't believe that was ever the answer. he's got 5 fights left on his contract. i get the feeling legacy is not his concern. robbing the bank is...so don't expect any real challenges.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 7 2013, 03:45 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

I don't get why we still have posts about this,we get it Pac gets away with murder

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 7 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 7 2013, 03:45 PM) *
I don't get why we still have posts about this,we get it Pac gets away with murder

Wow apparently reading comprehension is questionable here if all the focus turned to just a Floyd vs Pac debate when the point of this was the situation concerning Canelo and whether or not Floyd should fight him at a CW making him drop to 147? The comparison was to what/how Pac made DLH drain to 147 and how nobody made a big stink about it but I can guarantee if Money asks Alvarez to drop to 147 to fight him and he does accept and Mayweather wins then he (Floyd) will be ridiculed and accused of draining Saul to no end but when Pac did it to Oscar they paraded him as though he slayed one of the Klitschkos.

The comparison would be about this and not about Floyd vs Pac or how they are looked at in totality as fighters which is why the first part of my original post stated this:

Ok, I've been scanning this situation with Money vs Canelo over and over in my brain and I realized that now it seems Floyd will be staying at 147 since they stripped him of his belt at 154 and everyone seems to want him to go back up and face a bigger Alvarez (who walks around at 170/re-hydrates to the same weight on fight night) and there are those (Haters, mostly) who expects him to make the move back up and not do it at a CW but then those same (Haters, mostly) gave Manny Pac a pass when he took on an Old/way past it/Over-the-hill Oscar at 147 (a weight he hadn't been at in 9 years) for Manny's CW fight with him at WW

To which someone corrected me using the WBA's garbage SuperChamp BS rules which leaves Floyd with his title but exalted as "Super" champ.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 7 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2013, 03:21 PM) *
there is a double standard because most hold floyd to a higher standard than pac. also...floyd talks a much bigger game with his claim that he's the best ever. pac on the other hand never really said much and it was his bandwagon riders that placed him on the pedestal.

i said it in another post...and i'll say it here. he beats everyone from 140-154. if he wants to be considered the greatest of all time...he'll have to top the guys who have come before him who raised the bar. his 44 victories are impressive...but there are plenty who have done more than that in history. the opposition at his weight is not there for him to stake his claim. i always knew he would beat pac...so i don't believe that was ever the answer. he's got 5 fights left on his contract. i get the feeling legacy is not his concern. robbing the bank is...so don't expect any real challenges.

Oooohhh, ya cant say that here. Anything contradictory to Floyd's Michael Jackson-like fan base, will get you branded as a hater,mostly. You cannot ask Mayweather to step up his comp and earn your place in history. You cant ask him to fight a guy who has a shot to KO him with one shot. You cant ask him to go up in weight. That would not be fair. He has to fight guys we know he will likely beat. Let him stay at 147 and fight Garcia and Alexander. I'll hold my PPV change in pocket, just like I did for Guerrero. Alvarez, Martinez and GGG, I'd gladly pay for. Hearns, Duran and Leonard dared to be great and challenged some people at higher weights.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 7 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I think the funny part is that people always demand mayweather to take on the challenges (some just physically not realistic) yet they don't ask the same out of the guys they want him to fight

Ggg- how many top middleweights has he fought?

Guerrero- I said this before and ill say it again aydin and berto are not tune ups for mayweather. They guy got that shot with his wifes backstory and his mouth.

Canelo- suppose to be a unified champ at 154, yet he's fought only 1 154 pounder.

Martinez is the only guy who constantly fights tough opponents and comes out on top. I think Bradley is also really overlooked for a mayweather fight but promotional ties will not let it happen.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 08:29 PM) *
Oooohhh, ya cant say that here. Anything contradictory to Floyd's Michael Jackson-like fan base, will get you branded as a hater,mostly. You cannot ask Mayweather to step up his comp and earn your place in history. You cant ask him to fight a guy who has a shot to KO him with one shot. You cant ask him to go up in weight. That would not be fair. He has to fight guys we know he will likely beat. Let him stay at 147 and fight Garcia and Alexander. I'll hold my PPV change in pocket, just like I did for Guerrero. Alvarez, Martinez and GGG, I'd gladly pay for. Hearns, Duran and Leonard dared to be great and challenged some people at higher weights.

those are all time greats that i'd rate over floyd.

modern guys like chavez, rjj and bhop can all make the case of more accomplishment.

chavez had 100 consecutive wins.

rjj went from middleweight all the way to heavy and won titles.

bhop unified and defended his middleweight crown more than 20 times...and went on to win world titles against heavier opposition all past the age of 40.

floyd has had a great run. he has looked good against the competition he was favored to beat. when was the last time he wasn't favored? that's what defines greatness imo, when you achieve the impossible. he's doing what he's supposed to against the opposition available....and i'll be the first to say...i didn't expect him to beat guerrero so easily, so i am very impressed with his victory over a guy i knew he would beat.

with only 5 fights left in his career....what statement does he make to stake his claim at best ever?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ May 7 2013, 08:43 PM) *
I think the funny part is that people always demand mayweather to take on the challenges (some just physically not realistic) yet they don't ask the same out of the guys they want him to fight

Ggg- how many top middleweights has he fought?

Guerrero- I said this before and ill say it again aydin and berto are not tune ups for mayweather. They guy got that shot with his wifes backstory and his mouth.

Canelo- suppose to be a unified champ at 154, yet he's fought only 1 154 pounder.

Martinez is the only guy who constantly fights tough opponents and comes out on top. I think Bradley is also really overlooked for a mayweather fight but promotional ties will not let it happen.

ggg just got to the u.s. so i think he'll make his run at greatness. he doesn't seem like the type to make excuses or avoid competition so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

guerrero just jumped 2 weight classes from 135 to 147. only other guys to do that and be victorious....henry armstrong, roberto duran, shane mosley. that's great company to be in.

canelo loss to trout so u won't get any arguments from me on this.

martinez is legit.

of the four guys u named....none of them are making the claim of being the best EVER. floyd is. u make a claim like that...it has to be backed up.

ali made that claim...and he proved it more than once. he was the underdog against liston....and he was the underdog against foreman. i cannot remember floyd ever being an underdog.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 7 2013, 08:52 PM
Post #19

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 07:29 PM) *

Ooooooh, yeah you can't ask a guy who has already moved up to a weight class 24lbs above his starting weight to continue going up and fighting guys who are bigger/heavier than him. Ooooh yeah, you can't ask a little guy who has the best defense the sport has ever seen and has earned his place in history to do what you are not asking any other boxer to do.

I guess there is no double standard here, huh??

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 7 2013, 10:46 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 7 2013, 09:52 PM) *
Ooooooh, yeah you can't ask a guy who has already moved up to a weight class 24lbs above his starting weight to continue going up and fighting guys who are bigger/heavier than him. Ooooh yeah, you can't ask a little guy who has the best defense the sport has ever seen and has earned his place in history to do what you are not asking any other boxer to do.

I guess there is no double standard here, huh??

You can ask anything. there will always be a price tag to getting what you want, along with all the conditions in between. Also as previously stated, a guy who claims to be the greatest is always held to a different standard. Ali and Frazier come to mind. Without getting into the reasons the May/Pac fight didnt happen, if Mayweather fought and beat Pacquiao, then there'd be less to bitch about on both sides and people wouldnt be so grouchy when it comes to Floyd and his choice of opponents as compared to Pacquiao. Both of them got some diva in them. And to answer your last quest, no I dont see a double standard. One is allegedly the greates fighter of his generation according to many people here. The other is fighter of the decade because he's fought a lot, been very entertaining and won most.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 09:07 AM