Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Floyd the first boxing savant?
Aware
post Mar 9 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,624

The more I think about it, I'd have to say yeah. It's the clench after that first right hand Mosley landed in the second round that made me realize it and I've been seeing little things like that ever since. The "tester" jab against Canelo in the first round, for example, fucking brilliant! Now in that interview on the front he says, "I can feel a fighter - it's like a sixth sense. I can make a certain move to make a fighter shoot a shot to burn himself". He's on that next level shit bros.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 9 2014, 03:13 AM
Post #2

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

Mayweather is certainly one of a kind. He has a unique ability to make his opponents not look themselves on even some of his worst nights.

His reflexes and anticipation of punches is on another level. Still its a shame his ATG skill level won't be appreciated until he's gone for good.

+Quote Post
Aware
post Mar 9 2014, 03:29 AM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 9 2014, 03:13 AM) *
Mayweather is certainly one of a kind. He has a unique ability to make his opponents not look themselves on even some of his worst nights.

His reflexes and anticipation of punches is on another level. Still its a shame his ATG skill level won't be appreciated until he's gone for good.

Do you have any specific examples I can go look at?

+Quote Post
Aware
post Mar 9 2014, 03:39 AM
Post #4

Super Flyweight

Obviously Mayweather has left his physical prime, but now I believe he is in his mental prime. His physical prime masterpieces would include Corrales and Gatti. I think his first mental prime masterpiece was the Canelo fight. I actually think he's a better fighter now.

This post has been edited by Aware: Mar 9 2014, 03:44 AM

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Mar 9 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

He said these things years ago. I beleive in de la hoy 24/7 he said he can feel when a guy is going to punch. Hes always had that 6th sense IMO, you can see it back in 1999 and still see it now. Im surprised he talks about it now bevause its taken years for him to open up about his skills.

+Quote Post
Aware
post Mar 9 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Mar 9 2014, 05:50 PM) *
He said these things years ago. I beleive in de la hoy 24/7 he said he can feel when a guy is going to punch. Hes always had that 6th sense IMO, you can see it back in 1999 and still see it now. Im surprised he talks about it now bevause its taken years for him to open up about his skills.

I was not trying to imply that he recently gained these abilities and that's why he's in his mental prime now. The reason I think he's in his mental prime is because the depth of his strategy has increased. He is much more efficient in his punch output. He probes his opponents early for weaknesses and sets up tactics that are sometimes used several rounds later. That takes an incredible memory, talent, and creativity. Furthermore, he captures his opponents rhythm within two rounds. These are things that he has always done, but now he's just better.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 9 2014, 11:41 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

Mentally he's the most intellectual fighter we have in the game, he is on another level in his ability to anticipate and remain one step ahead of his opponents but then again, it isn't all mental because he still has to be able to apply what he can master mentally in a physical form. He may not be as physically gifted as far as speed like when he was at 130 but he has parlayed his ability in economical leaps in bounds to the point where he doesn't have to rely on physicality alone to get the job done.

I think he is the first boxing Savant.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 10 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #8

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (Aware @ Mar 9 2014, 04:29 AM) *
Do you have any specific examples I can go look at?

Check

Mayweather vs Chavez - He literally broke his hand on a decent fighters head and his other hand was already hurt from a past fight yet he still makes Chavez look less than trash.

Mayweather vs Judah- Judah was the faster or about same speed as Mayweather which caused Floyd problems. Watch closely as Floyd studies Judah's routine and slips/counters punches that look like it landed on Floyd.

Even now in his past prime physical form he did it against Guerrero and Canelo both respective champs in their weight class IMO.

+Quote Post
readydog72
post Mar 10 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #9

Amateur

Member No.: 14,138

What Floyd is, is a fighter with tremendous reflexes and a high level of experience. Savant is a little too much.

Mayweather outclasses most boxers out here today 140-154 probably 160 too. Chavez and Guerrero shouldn't have been in the ring with him.
Zab Judah lacked the mental capacity and fundamentals to have beat Floyd. IMO i think the 2 fighters that he has faced that had a chance to beat him are Zab and Mosley. Zab's quickness and speed matched Floyd's but he has a horrble corner and no focus; Mosley's conditioning fell off bad later in his career.

Canelo lacked experience and probably speed as well.

This fight with Maidana is gonna be horrible; his style is what Floyd feeds on; Telegraphed wild swings.
Before i could even go as far as calling him a Savant we would have to see him in the ring where he is faced with a true challenge from Boxers he "sorta" avoids. I think we will miss the chance to see him in another good showdown because the Belts have no control over marquee fighters. So many fans are blind to what makes a good match-up.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 10 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (readydog72 @ Mar 10 2014, 03:55 PM) *
What Floyd is, is a fighter with tremendous reflexes and a high level of experience. Savant is a little too much.

Mayweather outclasses most boxers out here today 140-154 probably 160 too. Chavez and Guerrero shouldn't have been in the ring with him.
Zab Judah lacked the mental capacity and fundamentals to have beat Floyd. IMO i think the 2 fighters that he has faced that had a chance to beat him are Zab and Mosley. Zab's quickness and speed matched Floyd's but he has a horrble corner and no focus; Mosley's conditioning fell off bad later in his career.

Canelo lacked experience and probably speed as well.

This fight with Maidana is gonna be horrible; his style is what Floyd feeds on; Telegraphed wild swings.
Before i could even go as far as calling him a Savant we would have to see him in the ring where he is faced with a true challenge from Boxers he "sorta" avoids. I think we will miss the chance to see him in another good showdown because the Belts have no control over marquee fighters. So many fans are blind to what makes a good match-up.

Let's start backwards on your post:

What fighters Floyd "SORTA" avoids???

I disagree that Canelo lacked experience, dude has as many fights as Mayweather, he was made to look that way, look how he outclassed Mosley and Angulo and on top of that gave Trout a run for his money. You stating that Saul lacked experience sounds like an excuse not to give Mayweather his credit.

Young Mosley, old Mosley-either of them would've been beaten by Floyd because Shane did the same thing he has always done in the sport of boxing-his style never changed.

Zab-didn't do as well as people were making it seem as he did, go and re-watch that fight and see how Floyd made him expend his energy uselessly as Floyd Sr had already told his son that Judah was a Frontrunner (meaning he uses up his gas early and slows down quickly enough to be taken apart), we saw what happened by the end of the fight and he had about as much a chance of winning vs Floyd as Shane did and you see how he lost; Zab fouled out-hit the ballsack to avoid getting KO'd so I'm not sure why you thought this fight was even close.

For everyone you mentioned Saul, Zab and Shane you provided an excuse or some lame reasoning as to why you "thought" they had the better chance or didn't measure up, why not just add that up to Floyd's ability to take away their normal dominance over their previous opponents and give him the credit he deserves for being the one to exploit them??

Floyd has faced every style you can find in the sport of boxing and he has solved them all with relative ease for the most part, give us a description of a style he hasn't faced or mastered, if you cannot provide one then therein lies the proof that he is a boxing Savant.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:36 AM