> Mike Tyson vs. Wlad Klitschko
salvador
post Jul 14 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 14 2011, 04:44 PM) *
when was Wlad undefeated in his prime? Wlad was shitty before his first loss up to the point Steward made a difference with him. either way Tyson kills him, Wlad just doesn't have the confidence to deal with him. and we're talking about a prime Tyson of the 1980s, not the freak show Don King peddled.

Tyson would stop this one early. personally i'm someone that doesn't buy into all the Tyson hype and doesn't think this guy did anything to make everyone except Ali irrelevant. but to think Wlad wins this easy is just blasphemy. the one thing that will stop Wlad is someone taking the fight to him and getting off punches, Tyson did that shit in his sleep in the 1980s.

Klit was good enough to completely abuse Byrd for 12 rounds before Steward - and I don't think anyone at HBO or anywhere else would have ever described Wlad as anything other than the next big thing even before Steward. Steward's biggest addition to Klit was that he taught Klit to hold anytime a fighter got inside and he taught Klit to use his weight to weigh smaller guys down on the inside - just like he taught Lewis.

I don't think Wlad beats Tyson easily, just that he beats him most of the time. And it's easy to get off punches like Tyson did in the 1980s when you're fighting B level fighters. He wasn't getting off so many punches against Holyfield or Lewis because there was a price to pay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Jul 14 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 14 2011, 05:54 PM) *
Klit was good enough to completely abuse Byrd for 12 rounds before Steward - and I don't think anyone at HBO or anywhere else would have ever described Wlad as anything other than the next big thing even before Steward. Steward's biggest addition to Klit was that he taught Klit to hold anytime a fighter got inside and he taught Klit to use his weight to weigh smaller guys down on the inside - just like he taught Lewis.

I don't think Wlad beats Tyson easily, just that he beats him most of the time. And it's easy to get off punches like Tyson did in the 1980s when you're fighting B level fighters. He wasn't getting off so many punches against Holyfield or Lewis because there was a price to pay.

I would actually pick Tony Tucker to give Wlad a hell of a scrap.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jul 14 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 14 2011, 04:53 PM) *
After watching Wlad against haye I'm pretty sure that a prime Tyson takes him easily. At times Wlad looked very leery of David Haye. People have to stop using the Lewis fight as an indicator of a big man against Tyson. Mike was at least a decade removed from his prime and had zero interest in being in the ring. He just turned up for a cheque.

I think he beats Vitali too, but on points only.

It's too bad that Tyson never fought Bowe or Lewis or any other top hw in his prime because we'd have a much better measuring stick for him.

+Quote Post
zucrates
post Jul 14 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #24

Junior Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 12,693

QUOTE (wolterb @ Jul 14 2011, 02:41 PM) *
I'd go with Wlad...
I don't think Tyson could land any clean power punches; he is so much shorter than Klitschko. Plus, I could see Wlad's jab frustrating Tyson and throwin' him off his game.

Idk in that fight Haye did catch Wald's Chin a couple times with him having that jab and it did look glass if that would have been a Tyson punch Wald would have been ZZZZZZZZ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aggressive.gif)

+Quote Post
zucrates
post Jul 14 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #25

Junior Flyweight

QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 14 2011, 03:08 PM) *
Did you see Tyson-Lewis?

Same fight, but maybe Tyson wins 10-20% of the time on one punch.

I love Tyson, but he was too small.

Tyson-Ali would have been great.

Lewis moves way better than the stiff Wald but his brother is another story he's rawer!

+Quote Post
zucrates
post Jul 14 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #26

Junior Flyweight

QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 14 2011, 03:24 PM) *
prime undefeated Tyson vs. prime undefeated Wlad

Wlad all day.

People who think Wlad would be scared should just look at Tyson's behavior before the Lewis fight - Tyson was terrified because he knew he couldn't get past that long heavy jab and because he'd never been in with anyone who could punch like Lewis.

Tyson was on that peace my brother medication in that Lewis fight too consider that!

+Quote Post
blackbelt2003
post Jul 14 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #27

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 84

I feel like we're over-analysing Tyson's losses and under-analysing Wlad's losses.

Remember that the Tyson who was walloped by Lewis et al was waaaaaay past his prime.

Yet the Wlad who was spanked by Brewster and Sanders was much closer to his prime. If Sanders was quick enough to dispatch Wlad, don't you think Tyson would have been? Even the more cautious, careful Wlad that emerged following those losses?

And, no, Tyson didn't really beat any ATG's in their primes who outweighed him by 30lbs...but you could say the same for most champions. Lewis didn't. Wlad certainly hasn't.

Whilst Tyson's least favourite opponents were definitely tall, strong jabbers, there is something of a myth being perpetuated that all you needed to beat Tyson was a reach advantage and a jab. Tyson at his best was a hard man to beat. I personally don't think Wlad had the mental fortitude, resilience or physical strength to do it. David Haye gave him a competitive fight, and Tyson would have eaten David Haye alive.

Stylistically, Wlad matches up well. But styles don't ALWAYS make fights!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Black

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 14 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #28

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 14 2011, 05:53 PM) *
After watching Wlad against haye I'm pretty sure that a prime Tyson takes him easily. At times Wlad looked very leery of David Haye. People have to stop using the Lewis fight as an indicator of a big man against Tyson. Mike was at least a decade removed from his prime and had zero interest in being in the ring. He just turned up for a cheque.

I think he beats Vitali too, but on points only.

i used to just think Tyson was really overrated before i learned more about him. i don't think he's the greatest ever based on what he did in his mental prime or whatever you want to call it but leading up to Douglas and after Douglas he's kind of like a out of prime Mayorga. they talk a lot of shit and make it a spectacle outside the ring but in reality they're dicking around in training camp and looking to collect a check and win by landing a big shot.

QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 14 2011, 05:54 PM) *

Tyson was sloppy and lazy by the time he got to them. the training that made him a phenom got put on the back burner and he just looked for a big shot. it would be like trying to use Wlad back when Purrity whooped his ass as an example of what Tyson would be facing. and come on, man. Chris Byrd? Tyson had Berbick, Holmes, Spinks and Thomas kill that.

how was it David Haye made Wlad look foolish at times with head movement but Tyson couldn't use the same head movement to come inside and land punches? Wlad gets put down by lesser fights but Tyson wouldn't be able to handle him. the Tyson you're using is like using the current Holyfield as an example of what he's capable of as a HW.

+Quote Post
Hops
post Jul 14 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #29

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 10,849

Put more mobility in Haye. Convert his chin to granite. Add a devastating left hand. And you have what amounts to a crude Mike Tyson.

Tyson will beat Wlad because Wlad has to watch out for the left hand and not just the right.

IMHO, if rules of boxing were 100% enforced, Holyfield won't even beat a washed out Tyson. Holy will get disqualified first from hugging even before Mike would have the chance to bite his ear off.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 14 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

prime vs prime....tyson would chew wlads ass up. he'd make him miss, slide on the inside...kill the body and chop the tree down. klitschko would be exhausted by the 4th or 5th round. tyson by ko.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 07:59 PM