IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What If? Monday Series Match Up Middleweight Mash, Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler
BoxingEinstein
post Nov 25 2013, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Hello boxing fans past, present and to the future. I'm back with another update to my weekly Monday series but this time it's an even juicier match up.

We have the legendary Marvin "Marvelous" Hagler who had a southpaw stance but can throw with the right just as good as any unorthodox fighter. He was ambidextrous to say the least, which made him a madman when he switched styles while firing off combinations. Hagler had the chin of an ox and power of a bull. Great inside fighter, undeniable will, and has the ability to block or slip with punches when he choosed. One of my personal favorite fighters ever.

We have the legendary Bernard Hopkins who has one of the best jabs in boxing; IMO, ability to neutralize an opponents movements and hand speed. His superb condition and IQ plus legendary discipline is what keeps him fighting for more than two decades. He is one of the most dominant middleweights in boxing history and even past prime he beats the prime out of younger fighters. Hopkins knows all the tricks and trades of boxing and is a textbook Philly fighter. His experience knows no bounds and has improvised his style as father time took his youth.
Who wins in this mouth watering match up?

This post has been edited by BoxingEinstein: Nov 25 2013, 09:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Nov 25 2013, 11:46 PM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

Hopkins by razor thin victory... prime v s prime this would be a classic.. Hopkins had better foot movement and defense and this could be the difference maker.

This post has been edited by MAHDI: Nov 25 2013, 11:47 PM

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Nov 26 2013, 04:50 AM
Post #3

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Nov 25 2013, 11:46 PM) *
Hopkins by razor thin victory... prime v s prime this would be a classic.. Hopkins had better foot movement and defense and this could be the difference maker.

That's what I'm begrudgingly going with and Marvin is in my top 5 favorite fighters. Hopkins is just a fighter who I unanimously believe that he can withstand any era in boxing and be great or a champion. I think Hagler's mental toughness and Bernard's do anything to win mentality will be the underrated key to who wins this fight, but I definitely seeing it being a SD victory for Hopkins....albeit begrudgingly.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 26 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Hops would have to jab his way through this one...I mean a STRONG jab.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Nov 26 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

What's prime Hopkins, because he only got better with age. At middlweight Hagler simply was the best IMO

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Nov 26 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #6

Bantamweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 26 2013, 07:32 PM) *
What's prime Hopkins, because he only got better with age. At middleweight Hagler simply was the best IMO

The Hopkins that put on a Clinic against Tito Trinidad beats any version of Hagler.... That was the best middleweight performance I have ever seen. contrast that fight with Tito coming up to Hopkins fighting Mugabi who came up and having such a hard fight he said it might be his last.. he struggled so to the point Ray Leonard who was watching decided to challenge Hagler... also I don't think any version of Hopkins loses to Vito Antufeurmo ... even though he was tough as nails..

This post has been edited by MAHDI: Nov 26 2013, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Nov 26 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Nov 27 2013, 12:38 AM) *
The Hopkins that put on a Clinic against Tito Trinidad beats any version of Hagler.... That was the best middleweight performance I have ever seen. contrast that fight with Tito coming up to Hopkins fighting Mugabi who came up and having such a hard fight he said it might be his last.. he struggled so to the point Ray Leonard who was watching decided to challenge Hagler... also I don't think any version of Hopkins loses to Vito Antufeurmo ... even though he was tough as nails..

I'll admit Hopkins has definitely aged better, but in primes it's a tough call. Also the Vito fight was a clear robbery. Maybe i need to watch more of Hopkin's younger days.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Nov 27 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #8

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

hagler outboxes him easy, then outpunches him in the 2nd half of the fight to win a tough awkward decision

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Nov 27 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Bantamweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 27 2013, 05:09 PM) *
hagler outboxes him easy, then outpunches him in the 2nd half of the fight to win a tough awkward decision

Hagler out boxes him easy??? 2nd half of the fight? hagler had ungodly stamina but so did Hopkins and Hopkins was known for getting stronger as the fight went on as well

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 28 2013, 03:11 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Sorry guys got to go with hagler. This goes against one of my two rules in boxing, never pick against mayweather and don't count bhop out... Ever. But for some reason I think hagler is to much

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 08:20 AM