IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What does it take To beat Floyd Mayweather Jr?(Topics Merged), What Blueprint Do You Use As An Opponent? A Trainer?
The Original MrF...
post Dec 21 2013, 02:27 AM
Post #41

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 20 2013, 09:54 AM) *
Lots of jabs and double up with the hooks. He's gonna block and parry 1-2-3's all night. You need to make him a stationary target and double up your punches. That being said, you're probably still going to lose lol So the real answer is prayer and lots of it. Floyd's last 2 fights, he went back to moving and being quick on his feet so the plans of trying to bombard him with activity on the ropes went out the window. Back to the drawing board.

Both of those guys were taylor made guys, to a degree. Both are short guys with short arms. With Floyd's reach advantage, he can take advantage of those disadvantages in most cases. DLH, and Judah were on par with Floyd in terms of reach. So it wasnt as easy for him to hit and not get hit. It makes sense why he didnt fight guys like Margarito and Paul Williams when they were prime guys at WW. Both of them were tall and have longer arms and would have made Floyd uncomfortable when in range. I think he's better now, then he was then. Or maybe the crop of fighters out now are not as good as the guys that were there 5 years ago.

This post has been edited by The Original MrFactor: Dec 21 2013, 02:37 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Dec 21 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #42

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 4,081

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 21 2013, 12:25 AM) *
He hasn't fought Danny lol

I obviously know that. I shouldn't have said "all come up short".

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Dec 21 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #43

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (KOpower @ Dec 20 2013, 11:40 PM) *
You need to out-work him. You have to throw punches in bunches and you need to have the hand-speed behind those punches. You need to have hand-speed like Zab Judah in order to catch Floyd but you need to be active enough to win rounds. Floyd isn't an overly active fighter. If an opponent can get in and throw combinations while Floyd tucks that chin away, he can steal some rounds and if he does that frequently enough he can win the fight.

I look back at Oscar's fight with Floyd. Oscar didn't win, but he was active enough to steal rounds and make it a close fight. That is probably how Floyd will lose...if he loses. It will be a points decision to someone that was able to out-work him and steal rounds with bursts of activity while Floyd covers up.

Fighters that stand in front of him with a lack of hand-speed have no chance. Guys like JMM, Danny Garcia, Baldomir, Ortiz, Canelo, Guerrero, etc have all come up short because they had no chance of out-working Floyd. Oscar tried that and had some success. Same with JLC. I will say that Ricky Hatton was competitive despite his limited skills because he just worked hard.

That is why I will always believe that Manny Pacquaio is easily Floyd's biggest threat. Manny has the hand-speed and punch volume to win rounds. Manny's unique power is a huge bonus because if he can buzz Floyd early it will make him even more defensive throughout the rest of the fight, making it easier for Manny to steal rounds.
The problem with that, is... Floyd is a counter puncher. With this approach, Floyd would have a counter-punchin' field day and team Manny would have to abandon that whole game-plan durin' the fight. Besides, I highly doubt Manny would take the aggressive approach (against the best counter puncher in the game), especially after what Marquez did to him.

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Dec 21 2013, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Dec 22 2013, 12:23 AM
Post #44

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Dec 21 2013, 01:49 PM) *
The problem with that, is... Floyd is a counter puncher. With this approach, Floyd would have a counter-punchin' field day and team Manny would have to abandon that whole game-plan durin' the fight. Besides, I highly doubt Manny would take the aggressive approach (against the best counter puncher in the game), especially after what Marquez did to him.

I think Floyd beats Manny in a similar way that he did Cotto or Marquez. Floyd Wont even have to counter punch Manny. He can maintain distance and just batter him. If Manny cuts the distance, do him like he did Cotto. Manny will be no different. Its going to take a guy with a reach advantage to beat Floyd.

This post has been edited by The Original MrFactor: Dec 22 2013, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
CrazyBuffalO
post Dec 22 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #45

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,128

I didn't really read all the posts in this thread as the discussion has gone quite lengthy, so pardon me if my input is something someone else has already pointed out in here. Anyway, here's what I think:

1. You gotta be a Faker. You have to love throwing a lot of fakes, which connects to setups.

2. You gotta be patient. Let Floyd make the first moves. If necessary you may keep moving (sideways, backwards). Move out of his range. When moving sideways make sure you've moved far enough that he couldn't chase you with his punches, and same goes when you're moving backwards. The key would be to try and frustrate him. Let the crowds BOO you if necessary because they may think that you're just running in circles in the ring. It doesn't matter. It's all mind games.

3. Use the ropes to your advantage when cornered.

4. You've gotta be cold. Floyd is very professional when he is in the ring performing his craft. You've gotta be ruthless.

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Dec 22 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #46

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,789

The five R's

Reach
reflex
resiliency
resourcefulness
roar - gotta be able to get in his head the canelo over hype bothered him

This post has been edited by AZWildCat: Dec 22 2013, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Jan 3 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #47

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 14,090

cotto found moderate success through the use of clever feints and by going to completion on his combos. one feint in particular that seemed to work well was established by a stiff jab to the body. cotto would then feint to the body and jab upstairs bloodying floyd's nose. sometimes floyd would look to counter the jab downstairs with his trademark counter right but, a few times cotto would turn the feint jab into a lead hook and follow up with 3-4 more quick punches esp when floyd was on the ropes.

gotta remember floyd is a master not only with his physical dominance, but also with his mental tactics. you'll see alot of his opponents try to feint or throw a variety of punches in the early rounds only to abandon their strategies after floyd lands clean potshots. hard to stick to your original game plan when getting tagged, but i think previous floyd opponents would have found more success had they been a bit more resilient on committing to and finishing their combos especially towards the later rounds. a good trick they teach in the amateurs against opponents who slip punches well and move a lot is to aim for center mass - the chest/solar plexus. I see alot of Floyd's opponents start head hunting, and that's exactly what the champ wants. Start aiming for the chest and you're bound to land something or at least keep his guard up. Of course, all easier said than done...

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 3 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #48

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 3 2014, 04:52 PM) *
cotto found moderate success through the use of clever feints and by going to completion on his combos. one feint in particular that seemed to work well was established by a stiff jab to the body. cotto would then feint to the body and jab upstairs bloodying floyd's nose. sometimes floyd would look to counter the jab downstairs with his trademark counter right but, a few times cotto would turn the feint jab into a lead hook and follow up with 3-4 more quick punches esp when floyd was on the ropes.

gotta remember floyd is a master not only with his physical dominance, but also with his mental tactics. you'll see alot of his opponents try to feint or throw a variety of punches in the early rounds only to abandon their strategies after floyd lands clean potshots. hard to stick to your original game plan when getting tagged, but i think previous floyd opponents would have found more success had they been a bit more resilient on committing to and finishing their combos especially towards the later rounds. a good trick they teach in the amateurs against opponents who slip punches well and move a lot is to aim for center mass - the chest/solar plexus. I see alot of Floyd's opponents start head hunting, and that's exactly what the champ wants. Start aiming for the chest and you're bound to land something or at least keep his guard up. Of course, all easier said than done...

Like you said easier said than done, cotto has one of the best jabs in boxing, up there with ward and paulie...

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jan 4 2014, 02:07 AM
Post #49

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

Well you need a serious mixture of things to beat Floyd:

1. A tall fighter with a long, fast and hard jab
2. An excellent counterpuncher
3. A great defense
4. A great chin, because people underestimate Floyd's power
5. Great cardio/conditioning
6. The ability to fight on the inside
7. Ring intellect
8. The plus would be if this person happens to be a SP with great punching power and speed (one of the main ingredients you need for May)

This person would have to be able to use his jab effectively aiming it at the chest to keep Floyd off balance, you can't throw it at his head all the time because eventually he'll time it and start to counter you with the straight right, you have to start from the chest up varying the jab and doubling and even tripling it.

This person also needs to fire off his punches to the body (particularly the left hook) doubling it after the double jab but you cannot broadcast or get stuck in any type of patterns with Mayweather because he'll remember and adjust with a tactic to counter it. If my fighter is a SP I'd actually have him start the fight as an Orthodoxed fighter and then every now and then switch-hit back and forth every now and then to keep Mayweather from figuring out what he's doing and when he is actually going to do it.

At no time would I have my fighter target Mayweather's head/chin because he's too adept with his shoulder roll at defending shots there and it'll be rare to hit him and even when you do it won't always be cleanly and often when we saw him get clipped he has a decent enough chin to take it and come back with counters of his own or move out of the way.

When my fighter gets him on the ropes (which is where I'd advise him to try to keep the fight/never left him get the center of the ring) then is where he'd ensure that he cuts off the ring at all times working the jab in 2-3 rapid succession and firing left hooks and straight rights to the body only. At no time will I advise my fighter to take a step backwards and never let the fight take place in the center of the ring if possible to keep the fight from turning into a boxing contest.

The entire key to beating Floyd is you cannot never let him figure you out, once he does then you are in trouble, keep him off balance, out of the center of the ring, keep his back against the ropes, use a double and triple jab, never aim for the head (but feint like you're going there and drop 2 to the body starting with the double jab to the chest and then double left hook to the body followed by a straight right to the body and every move is executed after a double feint, triple feint or one feint and again all of this after cutting him off from his lateral movement while his back is on the ropes, if he ties you up and the Ref breaks it and you end up in the center of the ring again, rinse and repeat the same process until you have him on the ropes all while continually switching from orthodoxed to SP style never letting him figure you out when you are going to do what and when.

Sounds impossible but you'd have to have the right fighter with the type of abilities to pull it off. Do yall know anyone I can train to do this? lol

+Quote Post
sduck
post Jan 4 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #50

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

There is no fighter to date who possesses all the right tools to beat Floyd, that's why I think no one beats him, of any era. Yeah I said it.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:47 AM