Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prime RJJ vs. Floyd, *disregard weight difference*
STEVENSKI
post Apr 5 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #11

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

I think Mayweather has better fundamentals than Roy ever did. Mayweather beats him in a 8-4 type of fashion. Roy has speed & power & Mayweather has skills. Give me skills anyday over the other two.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Apr 5 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #12

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Member No.: 1,443

QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 3 2010, 05:03 PM) *
Nice, detailed explanation why...just call it bollocks and jet.

and fYi...Mayweather beats your beloved Whitaker 7, 8 times out of 10...for some of the same reasons I stated above...

Pea would be doin' all his flashy duckin' and dodgin' while Mayweather would be gettin' the more tangible, offensive work done.

I had to go back to this. So, you're eluding that Mayweather would be doing most of the offensive work when punch stats concerning the two fighters clearly show Whitaker threw far more in the majority of his fights. Whitaker fought and beat the best of his era. Mayweather hasn't done that.

Whitaker started a fight exactly how he wanted to. He didn't have to work his opponent out and lose a few rounds in the process like the slower starting Mayweather does. An old faded Whitaker gave a young De La Hoya a great fight, I actually thought he edged it. Mayweather was taken extremely close by an old faded De La Hoya. Do the maths.

Whitaker matches Mayweather for speed and although May might have the edge in power it's quite negligible and wouldn't have been a factor in any case. If Mayweather attempted to play the counter puncher he would lose widely on points. If he tried to be the aggressor his work rate would be his undoing. Quite simply, Whitaker was the busier man, the better boxer all round and he would beat Floyd in a close, competitive fight.

It's a credit to Floyd that people mention him in the same breath as Whitaker.

Of course, you disagree.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 5 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #13

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 5 2010, 01:21 AM) *
I think Mayweather has better fundamentals than Roy ever did. Mayweather beats him in a 8-4 type of fashion. Roy has speed & power & Mayweather has skills. Give me skills anyday over the other two.

I wish I didn't have to say Mayweather would win but I'm with you in the fact that give me skills anyday over abilities..All you need to overcome speed and power is timing,which Mayweather does perfectly..Roy lacks the fundamnetals like Steve says and relied on his abilities to win fights,not his skills..Mayweather would lose the early rounds while trying to adjust to Roy's speed,then he'd start taking over and exposing weaknesses..

Sorry guys,I hated sayin all that since I'd be hoping Roy would destroy him..

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 5 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #14

The Savage

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 5 2010, 05:52 PM) *
I would take RJJ over Mayweather.

Also, Mayweather over Whitaker, really? Whitaker>Mayweather.

Whitaker and Mayweather would of been a really sweet fight to have seen..2 defensive masters..Some may think boring but I like chess matches..

+Quote Post
torvix2000
post Apr 5 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #15

BANNED IN THE USA

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,018

The only chess matches I like are those with active play... attack... counter attack. Just because we're talking about chess doesn't mean there isn't the analogy of knockouts in it.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 5 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #16

The Savage

QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 5 2010, 09:14 PM) *
The only chess matches I like are those with active play... attack... counter attack. Just because we're talking about chess doesn't mean there isn't the analogy of knockouts in it.

For sure,the KO is checkmate!!

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 5 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #17

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 5 2010, 08:37 PM) *
I think it would be a really good fight and extremely close. Just not sure how someone can like Mayweather and then not really be interested in Whitaker. I think Mayweather should have been where Whitaker is at, but he isn't.
I just think Whitaker is greater at this stage.

Sure Whitaker is "Greater" at this stage....but I believe Mayweather beats Whitaker head to head 7, 8 times out of 10 (note I didn't say 10 out of 10)...mainly based on him having the purer Boxing skills and better accuracy...

Stats have shown that Mayweather has an insane Hit/Not Get Hit Ratio....which explains why I said he gets the "more tangible work done" that I mentioned earlier...

Whitaker was just too unconventional and flashy for my tastes...which is also one of the reasons I never liked Roy Jones...I think both those guys are/were overrated.

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Apr 6 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #18

Guests

I know this is a mythical match-up but I don't think it's the greatest match up either. Anyways putting everything into consideration I think Jones wins this fight. I'm aware Mayweather has better fundamentals than Roy & may do things more correct but Roy still brings too much in this one. He is faster, more power, better reflexes, more strong & has a better attack than Mayweather does.

This would be a pretty boring fight with both being counter punches but Jones has proven to let his hands go more than Mayweather which would be a big factor. Mayweather has shown to have trouble with speed & flash in Judah and an old DLH troubled him with the jab.

I don't think Mayweather brings anything new to what Roy hasn't already seen but the same can't be said about Mayweather though. Roy Jones has shown he was able to beat up 2 of boxings purist, masterful & skilled fighters of our era with basically one hand.

Jones was great at sitting up traps & making his opponents 'gun-shy' due to his sharp counter punching/reflexes. James Toney & Bernard Hopkins are just as good as Mayweather and even better in some areas inside the ring. Jones was able to beat both fighters so clearly & easily it almost doesn't give justice to how great those wins really are!!

Too much speed, flash, power, reflexes, footwork & combinations for Floyd.

Jones by UD.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Apr 8 2010, 02:51 AM
Post #19

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

Skills = Bernard Hopkins and James Toney....Speed = Roy Jones Jr.

He beat them both.

Give me Roy...Mayweather has the accuracy but not the power(although underrated) to make Roy respect him. Roy started losing when he became gun shy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 04:34 AM