IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Legacy vs. Payday, If you were a fighter, which would be more important?
BoxingStill#1
post Oct 10 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,594

When one walks into a boxing gym, see's the blood stained canvas of a boxing ring, smells the saturated scenting of old leather and sweat, start a hard rigerours schedule of pushing your body to its very last limit, then ultimately lacing the gloves up for the first time and feeling a deliberate series of punched punishing the head and body, one has to wonder why anyone would choose to box as a career. I have always been firm on the belief that boxing is a sport that needs to be chosen. I couldnt simply bring my son into the gym and make him fight. It is a sport he has to choose. But why would he? Whats the motivation to make him sacrifice time and body to something that can ruin his physical and mental health?
One fighter watches HBO, Showtime, or Espn and says "hey, I wanna be that guy". "I wanna hold that belt high and be the champion of the world". Or is it "Damn, that dude is paid, I want all that, I want that house them cars, the celebrity status".. In short, to each his own. Every champion has had to sacrifice at one point, but Im starting to see an entire new trend in boxing. There are few who really want that strap, and would rather have the name and notoriety. I lets take a recent example: Miguel Cotto, a fighter who is likey on the downhill side of his career even though he fought a valiant fight with Floyed, takes a risky fight in undefeated Austin Trout. A fight he may likey lose depending on his mental state. But heres a guy who has a name and can wait on a Canelo, or what have you to make a huge payday but instead takes a fight with a young hungry, proven champion...and for what? ..Cotto want that belt. Cotto want to be the best and still feels he can...after war after war he chooses this guy? Thats admirable imo.
One the other hand we have a fighter like lets say as previosly mentioned Canelo. Now Im not saying he isnt a tremendous fighter with exceptional talent. Im not even saying this is his fault, perhaps his promoters are doing a great job. We can input many more names in this slot. Canelo's name is becoming household. But imo he's being rushed into stardom and hasnt proved it against anyone (other than an aged Mosely). Some fighters get a little exposure and think they are the pinnacle of the sport. Canelo is good, damn good, but he hasnt arrived yet.
If you ask me I wanna be a champion. Tested, proven, and still hungry. I wanna be an Andre Ward, or a Bernard Hopkins. An underdog, whos legacy is more important than a big paycheck. Sure every fighter wants to cash out at some point. But while your in your prime I fell they should make prime moves. Wipe out your division or die trying.
If you were a fighter, as some here are, what would be your motivation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 10 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

for me it was simply being better than my opponent, I wanted to be the best ever, whenever I lost I hated it to no ends, because in the end of the day when I got into that ring in my mind nobody was better than me. I trained hard and fought hard so why should they of been better, while am not a fan of Miguel Cotto's career, as a man you cannot deny his hunger and pride.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 10 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Good stuff Box!

I have to wholeheartedly agree with both points in this thread. When you put every ounce of your time, heart, and energy into something in life, you ALWAYS want to be the best. The fight game has GOT to be the epitome of it all.

In contact sports (combat), you put everything into it, you have the will to win, and you have to FIGHT for it. We all fight for something in life, even if we've never stepped in the ring to compete.

Losing a fight, coming up just short, or believing that you could've done better...never leaves the back of your mind...whether you're in the ring or the streets.

With that in mind, and a boxing's state of "WTF?" nowadays...a championship belt rarely holds weight. If only it had the same meaning as it did a few years ago, then I could see why a fighter would go for the gold. That first title ALWAYS means something, but after that, some of these guys lose their spark, and go after the big bucks.

None of these guys do what they do for free, but it seems like boxing lost something when it became painfully evident that big money started ruining the chances of fights happening, rather than the gold (title) at hand. Contrarily, I dont see how a guy can drain this brutal sport for the highest dollar amount, without hurting it at the same time.

Gotta appreciate guys like Ward and Hopkins for what they're doing in the sport today.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 10 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Oct 10 2012, 07:26 AM) *
When one walks into a boxing gym, see's the blood stained canvas of a boxing ring, smells the saturated scenting of old leather and sweat, start a hard rigerours schedule of pushing your body to its very last limit, then ultimately lacing the gloves up for the first time and feeling a deliberate series of punched punishing the head and body, one has to wonder why anyone would choose to box as a career. I have always been firm on the belief that boxing is a sport that needs to be chosen. I couldnt simply bring my son into the gym and make him fight. It is a sport he has to choose. But why would he? Whats the motivation to make him sacrifice time and body to something that can ruin his physical and mental health?
One fighter watches HBO, Showtime, or Espn and says "hey, I wanna be that guy". "I wanna hold that belt high and be the champion of the world". Or is it "Damn, that dude is paid, I want all that, I want that house them cars, the celebrity status".. In short, to each his own. Every champion has had to sacrifice at one point, but Im starting to see an entire new trend in boxing. There are few who really want that strap, and would rather have the name and notoriety. I lets take a recent example: Miguel Cotto, a fighter who is likey on the downhill side of his career even though he fought a valiant fight with Floyed, takes a risky fight in undefeated Austin Trout. A fight he may likey lose depending on his mental state. But heres a guy who has a name and can wait on a Canelo, or what have you to make a huge payday but instead takes a fight with a young hungry, proven champion...and for what? ..Cotto want that belt. Cotto want to be the best and still feels he can...after war after war he chooses this guy? Thats admirable imo.
One the other hand we have a fighter like lets say as previosly mentioned Canelo. Now Im not saying he isnt a tremendous fighter with exceptional talent. Im not even saying this is his fault, perhaps his promoters are doing a great job. We can input many more names in this slot. Canelo's name is becoming household. But imo he's being rushed into stardom and hasnt proved it against anyone (other than an aged Mosely). Some fighters get a little exposure and think they are the pinnacle of the sport. Canelo is good, damn good, but he hasnt arrived yet.
If you ask me I wanna be a champion. Tested, proven, and still hungry. I wanna be an Andre Ward, or a Bernard Hopkins. An underdog, whos legacy is more important than a big paycheck. Sure every fighter wants to cash out at some point. But while your in your prime I fell they should make prime moves. Wipe out your division or die trying.
If you were a fighter, as some here are, what would be your motivation?

great topic and great post!!!

i'll say...some, if not most, want both. the fighters you have mentioned have all been carefully developed to achieve both. i think in most situations...legacy comes before the paydays...meaning...a fighter really has to take on big risks (legacy builders, if u will) before they can get those big pay days.

mayweather, cotto, ward, bhop and even canelo have all flown under the radar at some point in their careers to build up into the stars they are today. some took on bigger challenges than others...but they all took on challenges.

as for canelo...u have to put his situation in perspective. he's a very young dude who has basically been developed in the pros. for him to get to 40 something fights without a loss is an amazing accomplishment when u consider his amateur background or lack thereof. i'll agree...he hasn't taken on the big challenges like the others mentioned...but when u consider his age...he's on course.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:16 AM