IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins vs Dawson revisited, Hopkins is still great defensively-- Cloud will have hands full
mrchitown
post Mar 1 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #21

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 07:16 PM) *
i might have fallen asleep on that fight. if i remember correctly, i had it a draw. i could see it going either way. i'd have to watch again to say for certain. i remember joking that they both deserved a loss for that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I disagree that he lost the Calzaghe fight, he won the 1st 6rds easy and had the KD to make it 10-8 but Calzaghe did win the 2nd half of the fight by overwhelming Bernard with those 6th grade pitty pat shots of his. The thing I want to know from the judges that night is what RD did he win in the first 6, he was dominated and he started to slow. I had it 115-113 because of the KD, without it would've been a draw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 1 2013, 08:27 PM) *
I disagree that he lost the Calzaghe fight, he won the 1st 6rds easy and had the KD to make it 10-8 but Calzaghe did win the 2nd half of the fight by overwhelming Bernard with those 6th grade pitty pat shots of his. The thing I want to know from the judges that night is what RD did he win in the first 6, he was dominated and he started to slow. I had it 115-113 because of the KD, without it would've been a draw

i have to watch it again. i'll get back on this one.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 1 2013, 08:56 PM
Post #23

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 08:16 PM) *
i might have fallen asleep on that fight. if i remember correctly, i had it a draw. i could see it going either way. i'd have to watch again to say for certain. i remember joking that they both deserved a loss for that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Come on man.. you sound as if the fight was bore... it was an intense and intriguing bout.. Hopkins had some antics with milking time at points but the bout was a compelling and intense match

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 1 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

The 2nd fight was as bad as the first fight, and that shit ended in a foul, WTF, "did I really just order this shit?" type manner.

That was horrible style matchup for both guys, seriously. Dawson has this staring syndrome, where he just moves around and stares at his opponent for rounds on top of rounds without doing much at all. Hopkins doesn't mount a great offense, usually cruises through rounds and waits to counter punch.

All of these factors made the fight a "head-scratcher" before the first bell. I think that Chad did just enough...just a little more than he did in the first fight, but not enough to "wow" us. It took him several rounds to let his left hand/uppercut go.

Hopkins on the other hand, basically relied on pre-fight dialogue to get him through the fight. He couldn't make those adjustments that he usually makes in fights, and he couldn't get to the inside as easily as usually does. Great footwork nonetheless, but Chad's range kept Hopkins off of him.

As for the Calazghe fight...fuck him...Calzaghe that is. Another gritty fight for Hopkins, but neither of them did enough to be awarded anything. I had Hopkins edging that fight by 1 point, and I DO remember falling asleep during that fight. Then again, I was drinking while I watched, but there's nothing new there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 1 2013, 08:56 PM) *
Come on man.. you sound as if the fight was bore... it was an intense and intriguing bout.. Hopkins had some antics with milking time at points but the bout was a compelling and intense match

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2013, 09:43 PM) *
The 2nd fight was as bad as the first fight, and that shit ended in a foul, WTF, "did I really just order this shit?" type manner.

That was horrible style matchup for both guys, seriously. Dawson has this staring syndrome, where he just moves around and stares at his opponent for rounds on top of rounds without doing much at all. Hopkins doesn't mount a great offense, usually cruises through rounds and waits to counter punch.

All of these factors made the fight a "head-scratcher" before the first bell. I think that Chad did just enough...just a little more than he did in the first fight, but not enough to "wow" us. It took him several rounds to let his left hand/uppercut go.

Hopkins on the other hand, basically relied on pre-fight dialogue to get him through the fight. He couldn't make those adjustments that he usually makes in fights, and he couldn't get to the inside as easily as usually does. Great footwork nonetheless, but Chad's range kept Hopkins off of him.

As for the Calazghe fight...fuck him...Calzaghe that is. Another gritty fight for Hopkins, but neither of them did enough to be awarded anything. I had Hopkins edging that fight by 1 point, and I DO remember falling asleep during that fight. Then again, I was drinking while I watched, but there's nothing new there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

i knew i wasn't alone!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 2 2013, 01:00 AM
Post #26

Welterweight

lol...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Mar 2 2013, 01:01 AM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 9 2013, 11:48 PM
Post #27

Welterweight

Cloud had his hands full with one of the best ever

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post Mar 10 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #28

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,802

As I posted on another board, Hopkins can beat 80-90% of the cats in the game of straight mind fuck. Changing just enough during a fight to negate their plan and render them neutral.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 10 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #29

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

Like I said before BHop will win by UD. Some people just don't seem to understand that it isn't about strength/power and speed, it's about how intelligent you are in the ring and right now the only person with more ring intellect in this sport than Hopkins is Floyd.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 10 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 10 2013, 07:16 PM) *
Like I said before BHop will win by UD. Some people just don't seem to understand that it isn't about strength/power and speed, it's about how intelligent you are in the ring and right now the only person with more ring intellect in this sport than Hopkins is Floyd.

I think people are more concerned about the age, I mean he has to slow down and get old at one point. I actually think that Hopkins maybe smarter than Floyd ATM. mostly because he is more or less relying on his IQ, since his physical attributes have diminished while Mayweather still has quite a lot of speed and what not.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:39 AM