IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> James Kirkland..., Just wondering about last night & stoppage...
AussieLad
post Apr 11 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #41

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

At the very least he should have let him stand and then assessed his ability to continue, rather than just holding him down with no count.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 11 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #42

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Apr 11 2011, 05:35 PM) *
At the very least he should have let him stand and then assessed his ability to continue, rather than just holding him down with no count.

Remember though, "he's fair but he's firm."

So firm in fact he had Kirkland pinned to the canvas for the 3 count (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Apr 11 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #43

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Apr 11 2011, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 11 2011, 04:37 PM) *
Remember though, "he's fair but he's firm."

So firm in fact he had Kirkland pinned to the canvas for the 3 count (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I agree, DownUnderling. Kirkland was getting caught with lefts he couldn't see coming and his legs couldn't handle it, though he did not seem dazed, even at the end.

James was basically defenseless though so I can understand where Cortez was coming from. Dude is just irritating as hell though. Let Kirkland get up and wave it off. Don't be a theatrical prick about it.

Kirkland becomes a stepping stone from here, unless he takes a step back and develops his skills (like bringing your jab back to a defensive position).

+Quote Post
Imperius3
post Apr 11 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #44

Welterweight

Member No.: 931

You have to keep in mind, it doesn't always matter how hard the punch is, sometimes a well timed accurate punch can do a lot of damage. I believe that is what happened here.

I'm not going to write Kirkland off yet either. Obviously he doesn't have a granite chin, but he didn't get KTFO like Khan did against Prescott. And Khan is a perfect example of someone who improved after he was brutally stopped by a low level opponent. Many people wrote Khan off, but he has since made adjustments and is one of the best in the division. I also think Kirkland should go back to Wolfe or go to Mayweather Sr.

Like jluv said, time will tell. We will just have to wait and see.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 11 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #45

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

Just think if Ann Wolfe had caught him with some of those shots.

This post has been edited by Big Slim Sweet: Apr 11 2011, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post
Imperius3
post Apr 12 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #46

Welterweight

Member No.: 931

(IMG:http://www.gifsoup.com/view3/1397319/vonda-ward-koed-o.gif)

Funny you should say that, Slim. Wolfe and Kirkland sparred together on a regular basis when she was training him. I visited their gym once in Austin.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 12 2011, 01:10 AM
Post #47

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

im sure some will say this punch still wasnt hard enough to crack an egg but i found this still frame of one of the punches kirkland took... maybe his face tells the story of how hard and accurate he was getting hit.. lol... (IMG:http://www.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/215485_10150571030260553_859035552_18088069_425081_n[1].jpg)

This post has been edited by JLUVBABY: Apr 12 2011, 01:13 AM

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 12 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #48

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 12 2011, 01:10 AM) *
im sure some will say this punch still wasnt hard enough to crack an egg but i found this still frame of one of the punches kirkland took... maybe his face tells the story of how hard and accurate he was getting hit.. lol... (IMG:http://www.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/215485_10150571030260553_859035552_18088069_425081_n[1].jpg)

Those freeze frame shots tend to over emphasise the power behind the shots. You could probably even find photos of Paulie Malignaggi's punches doing that to guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

However the next guy I want to see Kirkland fight is............................Caneman!!

WAR CANEMAN!!! Haha.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 12 2011, 02:24 AM
Post #49

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 12 2011, 01:41 AM) *
Those freeze frame shots tend to over emphasise the power behind the shots. You could probably even find photos of Paulie Malignaggi's punches doing that to guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

However the next guy I want to see Kirkland fight is............................Caneman!!

WAR CANEMAN!!! Haha.

ollie... you are on some other shit man... lol... you just dont wanna be wrong... and as far as caneman aka randy... i wouldnt let my boy take that fight.. id go to georgia and put that damn van on flats so he couldnt make the fight... lol.. man kirkland got hit with some legit shots...

and speaking of paulie if his punch did that the punch hurt... a punch that disfigures the face hurts.. its hard solid shots....

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 12 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #50

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 12 2011, 03:24 AM) *
ollie... you are on some other shit man... lol... you just dont wanna be wrong... and as far as caneman aka randy... i wouldnt let my boy take that fight.. id go to georgia and put that damn van on flats so he couldnt make the fight... lol.. man kirkland got hit with some legit shots...

and speaking of paulie if his punch did that the punch hurt... a punch that disfigures the face hurts.. its hard solid shots....

Actually so far JLUV I am right about Kirkland. As I've said before feel free to check any post I've ever made on this site regarding Kirkland, I'm not saying anything new. I've said right from the start that he is a limited fighter who gets hit and hurt easily and would never make it to the top.

Now I know the story still has a ways to go but at this point and considering his last fight, and even the one before it, who do you think is more right about Kirkland, me or you? I'm not on anthing buddy all I needed to do was just watch his last fucken fight against what can only be decsribed as a journeyman type opponent where he got sat on his ass 3 times.

Why do I need to be on anything to call that shit? Just use your eyes mate.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:07 PM