> Ricky Hatton vs Mayweather, I know Ricky got undressed and knocked out
pesticid
post Apr 18 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #31

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:53 PM) *
Huh?! If anything, Cotto possibly edges it.

Hatton made Kostya retire when nobody gave him much of a chance of winning. What is Cotto's best win at 140? Exactly!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Apr 18 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #32

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 07:58 AM) *
Hatton made Kostya retire when nobody gave him much of a chance of winning. What is Cotto's best win at 140? Exactly!

Yeah, can't really say Cotto has a better resume than Hatton at 140lb. Ricky was still the lineal champ when he fought Manny, Cotto was never the lineal champ to my knowledge... Although his resume was good, Hatton beat "the man" of the div, Cotto never did, he was just defending his 140 WBO strap whilst Bob built his name before moving up to 147lb...

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Apr 18 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #33

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Apr 18 2012, 06:53 AM) *
Yeah, and I swear Floyd made some statement like he was gonna win the Corrales fight for "all the battered women out there" or some shit?! Irony is a bitch...

True story! He said he was sending tickets to Mrs. Corrales, so that she could witness, first-hand, her husband getting his ass whipped.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Apr 18 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #34

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 11:17 AM) *
but for the first 4,5 round he had Floyd in very uncomfortable situations even though Floyd was most likely winning most of the rounds. I think Floyd and Castillo pressured Floyd the best. What are your thoughts? Do you think anyone else not named Castillo and Hatton can make things uncomfortable for Floyd. I just don't see Cotto doing it cause he doesn't have Hatton's fire and energy nor Castillo's chin and resiliance but is anybody else there that can make Floyd feel that uncomfortable. I thought hatton in the first half of the fight had Floyd feeling less at easte than in his fight against DLH.

I don't think Pacman is the man because he is an in and out, jump in get out type of a fighter. He doesn't really cut off the ring and bullies you to the ropes. This is the only strategy that could work against Floyd and to my memory only Castillo and Hatton had success where one could argue that Castillo won the first fight, yet he clearly lost the second one against FM.

That match would have been different if Cortez Let Ricky fight on the inside versus breaking them up every second. I think Emmanuel Burton gave Floyd fits simply because he would not quit. Zab in the early rounds had May in a web, Zab was faster than May and that bothered him. The Mexican cat he fought in Grand Rapids I think it was Chavez or someone like that, gave him fits. In the end he figured them out. Castillo fought dirty and Floyd hurt his shoulder so I understand that first fight. Hatton he picked apart as the fight progressed.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 18 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #35

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

This how I scored the fight

Mayweather - 1, (2), 3, 4, (6), 7, 8, 9, 10
Hatton - (2), 5, (6)

Mayweather - 10, 9, 10, 10, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10
Hatton - 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8

9-3 rounds, 97-90 - Mayweather at the time of the stoppage

Ricky Hatton scored some rounds by bullying Floyd hard on the ropes, where Floyd couldn't answer back much. But for most of the fight, Floyd was neutralizing Hatton's offense, and was cleanly landing whenever he got to lead. Hatton had no answer, just kept coming forward and after round 7 was pretty much done. Now I know referee Joe Cortez gets a lot of heat, but I actually think he did a good job. There was loads of holding, wrestling, and rabbit punching by both fighters; Mayweather was using the elbow, Hatton sometimes holding the ropes. People complain that Cortez kept interfering but its like people aren't aware or simply forget that those things are illegal, and their styles pairing up made it consistent. If Cortez did nothing, he'd professionally be a bad ref. The only part I disagree with was Cortez deducting the point from Hatton. It was a good fight, and I think the best part about it was the crowd and atmosphere. Surprising the fight only got 950k PPV buys, because to me the hype seemed bigger than the Mayweather-DLH fight.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 18 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #36

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

The Hatton victory was one of Floyd's most impressive IMO. He fought a guy who only wanted to brawl and break his will. If Hatton was at all successful, every fighter from then on would come in with the mentality "We're going to make it rough and go to Floyd's body." Well Hatton did that and Floyd handled the pressure and gave Hatton an ultimate boxing lesson. He made every other boxer who thought they had a legit chance go back to the drawing board and think of something different.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 18 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #37

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Hatton dropped Collazo not the other way around and that wasn't really a hard knockdown or anything, maybe more an off balance thing.

hatton stepped on his foot if my memory serves me correctly. and in that last round...collazo had ricky on queer street...ready to go. ricky held on for dear life but actually dropped to his knees. that should have been ruled a knock down but politricks reigned supreme in that fight. it's clear we don't see things the same. i'll agree to disagree.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 18 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #38

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:53 PM) *
Probably a nuthugger who thinks that EVERY fighter that Floyd fights is never the same afterwards...as we've been hearing forever. Marquez lost nothing after that fight, in fact, that fight helped him more than it hurt him. It was a win/win (reputation wise), and it looks quite goofy on Floyd's record.

Huh?! If anything, Cotto possibly edges it.

totally agree on both counts.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 18 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #39

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 18 2012, 02:34 PM) *
hatton stepped on his foot if my memory serves me correctly. and in that last round...collazo had ricky on queer street...ready to go. ricky held on for dear life but actually dropped to his knees. that should have been ruled a knock down but politricks reigned supreme in that fight. it's clear we don't see things the same. i'll agree to disagree.

True and while we're on it we can even scratch Bhop ko over DLH cause DLH really did take a dive. Ricky was on queer st just as much as Floyd was against Mosley.
It was a close fight that could've gone to Collazo but the knockdown that was scored, it was scored by Hatton regardless if he stepped on his foot, he did put him down.

I think we don't see the same cause you say Collazo knocked down Ricky which is not true and I say that Ricky knocked down Collazo which is true, simple as that

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 18 2012, 02:48 PM
Post #40

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 07:58 AM) *

Wasn't Tzsyu at the end of his rope? I guess the better question here is, who had the better competition at 140?

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Apr 18 2012, 08:11 AM) *
Hatton beat "the man" of the div, Cotto never did, he was just defending his 140 WBO strap whilst Bob built his name before moving up to 147lb...

C'mon Slump, PLEASE dont tell me that you're referring to Manny Pacquiao as "the man" of the division (140) when ricky fought him. If so...well, I hate to break it to ya, but Manny wasn't "the man" of the division, sorry.

No way in the world he could be the man of the division, when he only fought there once, and never fought there again. Again, I hope you're referring to Pacquiao as the man the 140 lb divsion...hopefully I read that wrong.

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 02:55 PM) *
Ricky was on queer st just as much as Floyd was against Mosley.

The counter question for this would be, who finished the round in a better fashion while on queer street, Floyd or Ricky? Last time I checked, Ricky took that "tebow knee" that wasn't rule a knockdown for some reason.

Floyd on the other hand, damn near did a Rapper's Delight dip when his knees buckled, but I dont remember him taking the "knee of refuge" like Ricky.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:59 AM