IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FLOYD and PAC, Is there a double standard??
aTYpicalTYrant
post May 8 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #31

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,480

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 8 2013, 08:34 PM) *
Nah I think Floyd fucked himself wanting to be the bad guy, that's why people want him to lose, that's why they dislike him. That's why they defend Pac, nobodies perfect but the media sure made Pac look it for a while

That change in persona proved to be incredibly lucrative for FMJ..... He may have f*cked up his image in the public eye and it may even bother him occasionally. But I'm sure he has few regrets when he looks at that bank statement. He probably just remembers ,"I'm rich bitch!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 8 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #32

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (JammyJam @ May 8 2013, 08:09 PM) *
I feel like if he was to fight Canelo next and win people would want martinez. If he fought Martinez then people would start talkin about Ward. It just won't stop. When Floyd retires if he still looks good after that last fight....you'll have some dumbasses saying he retired to duck Broner or some shit.

In regards to your post though. Therw is a double standard but Floyd fucked himself when he went in on Manny for catchweighting and talking about how he wants fighters at their best weight.

he does this all the time. talking shit is a double edged sword.

if he wants to claim he's the greatest of all time....then he leaves himself open to being compared to all-time greats...some of which happen to have been in his weight class...and have acheived greater feats.

had he took the pacquiao route...and been humble...then people would have been showering him with praise.

anyone remember mike tyson when he first burst onto the scene? he was very humble....and he never talked trash. the public ate that shit up and he became larger than life. cus died...then jim jacobs...and slowly but surely the real mike came out and he was a hood as it gets. by then...he had already captured the publics attention. does anyone think it's coincidence that his rise coincided with the decline of the networks televising boxing. his rise ushered in the ppv era.

on the flip side...let's look at another humble athlete who took the world by storm. michael jordan. didn't talk any blatant shit and instead...did so in very subtle ways. ask anyone who knows him personally and they'll tell u he was never the person portrayed in all those ads....but he got paid and the fans still love the man to this day.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 9 2013, 01:03 AM
Post #33

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 07:05 PM) *
rocky marciano is an atg. not many will dispute that. unfortunately for him...he came at a time when there wasn't much opposition availabe for him to prove his greatness. all we're left with is his wins over an old joe louis, old jersey joe walcott, former middle/light heavy ezzard charles and an old archie moore.

it is what it is...

I had a coming to America moment when you said Rocky Marciano (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But I agree, some tend to discredit Marciano slightly but what was he supposed to do? He could only fight what was there for him at the time

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 9 2013, 01:06 AM
Post #34

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2013, 08:36 PM) *
he does this all the time. talking shit is a double edged sword.

if he wants to claim he's the greatest of all time....then he leaves himself open to being compared to all-time greats...some of which happen to have been in his weight class...and have acheived greater feats.

had he took the pacquiao route...and been humble...then people would have been showering him with praise.

anyone remember mike tyson when he first burst onto the scene? he was very humble....and he never talked trash. the public ate that shit up and he became larger than life. cus died...then jim jacobs...and slowly but surely the real mike came out and he was a hood as it gets. by then...he had already captured the publics attention. does anyone think it's coincidence that his rise coincided with the decline of the networks televising boxing. his rise ushered in the ppv era.

on the flip side...let's look at another humble athlete who took the world by storm. michael jordan. didn't talk any blatant shit and instead...did so in very subtle ways. ask anyone who knows him personally and they'll tell u he was never the person portrayed in all those ads....but he got paid and the fans still love the man to this day.

Interesting observation at the first bolded. When Jacobs died that was the beginning of the end for him

@ the second bolded, I do't know him personally I met him once and he was cool. But Chamillionaire can tell you how he really is off camera lol

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 9 2013, 04:55 AM
Post #35

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ May 9 2013, 01:59 AM) *
That change in persona proved to be incredibly lucrative for FMJ..... He may have f*cked up his image in the public eye and it may even bother him occasionally. But I'm sure he has few regrets when he looks at that bank statement. He probably just remembers ,"I'm rich bitch!"

Maybe but why has he been trying to be the nice guy for a while

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 9 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #36

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 9 2013, 02:03 AM) *
I had a coming to America moment when you said Rocky Marciano (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But I agree, some tend to discredit Marciano slightly but what was he supposed to do? He could only fight what was there for him at the time

marciano.. lmao.. picture him against Prime Foreman. Riddick Bowe..LMAO. he thought old Jersey Joe had him hurt LMAO... I hear Marciano had hellacious power though. If he came around at the time of Frazier, Ali, Foreman... no way in hell would he have been undefeated. I don't think he could have survived 7 rounds with Lennox Lewis, yet he was a different type of heavy.. back then not that big

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 9 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #37

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 8 2013, 05:01 PM) *
Fair enough, my bad, well can someone please answer my question, whose idea was it for Oscar to go down to 147? Was it him who said yeah I'll go to 147 or was it Arum. People are okay with that fight mainly because the majority of people thought that Pac was going to get destroyed, he was the actual underdog and came away with the victory. Sure Oscar was drained as fuck, but if Pac wasn't the one who made him drain, while going up two classes himself, Pac still came to the ring to win.

It's not fair in my opinion that Floyd has to fight a fighter at 180lb, but in my eyes, this isn't just a matter about Floyd, I think all fighters should have either same day weigh ins, or they can only be allowed to rehydrate to the next weight class. I mean vs Trout that kid weighed more than Martinez usually does and that says it all

According to this article is was Oscar who wanted to fight at 147lb

Manny Pac: The Catchweight King

I believe it was DLH that stated such because he knew MP wouldn't be able to make it to 154 and he said that he was comfortable at 147 which anyone who saw his fight with Forbes knew he wasn't but a shell of himself.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas-h...iness-of-boxing

Not everyone believed that Oscar would flatten Pac, people forget that little Valero had given DLH two black eyes in sparring and told everyone before that fight that Manny was going to KO Oscar.

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post May 9 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #38

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,480

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 9 2013, 05:55 AM) *
Maybe but why has he been trying to be the nice guy for a while

Probably because he can now see the end of the road for him as a boxer.... PlenTY of people decide to find Jesus when death is near. This is no different.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post May 9 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #39

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ May 9 2013, 11:10 AM) *
Probably because he can now see the end of the road for him as a boxer.... PlenTY of people decide to find Jesus when death is near. This is no different.

LOL

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 9 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #40

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

We talk about how Floyd will be remembered but how will Pacquiao be remembered? Marquez exposed him, Rios might crack his chin yet again. Yeah Pac is the supposed good guy but his skeletons have been uncovered. He will not be one of the greats. People will slowly realized that he was well matched. But forget that, how will history and boxing fans remember Pacquiao? How will you remember him?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 01:59 PM