IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GBP vs Top Rank, who has the deeper stable?
EAlbian
post Aug 8 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,451

What do you guys think? In years past GBP had the big stars but no up and comers and Top Rank had the deeper prospect pool and mid range names but it seems as though the tides have turned.

I wish they would do Top Rank vs GBP cards or GSP vs DiBella on SHO box or Boxing after dark or one of the other up and comers tv outlets. I think that would be a cool premise.

This post has been edited by EAlbian: Aug 8 2011, 12:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 8 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

I think there is many layers to the onion but Top Rank has a bit more only cause they have been around longer but GBP is putting on way better and deeper cards! They are killing Top Rank, in fact even FNF's is beating Top Ranks cards @ the moment...Arum needs to really start paying attention to that fact!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 8 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

For years, boxing fans have been hoping for rival promoters to match their top fighters, but this is boxing and it's "business" as they say, so we are usually stuck with having to appreciate the fights that put out their. Caneman was right about Top Rank having more fighters, and we are starting to see what Golden Boy can cook up for boxing fans. This upcoming PPV is the first card in a long time (if ever) that I feel Im going to get my money's worth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Aug 8 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 8 2011, 01:29 PM) *
I think there is many layers to the onion but Top Rank has a bit more only cause they have been around longer but GBP is putting on way better and deeper cards! They are killing Top Rank, in fact even FNF's is beating Top Ranks cards @ the moment...Arum needs to really start paying attention to that fact!

I was talking more in terms of stable of fighters.

GBP: Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan, Robert Guerrero, Erik Morales, Miadana, Mathysee, Broner, Mares, Canelo Avarez, Erislandy Lara, Seth Mitchell, Deontay Wilder, James Kirkland, Gary Russel Jr, Jorge Linares.... those are just what i can name off the top of my head

Top Rank: Pacquaio, Cotto, Gamboa, Lopez, Fernando Montiel, JCC JR,
Vanes Martirosyan, Rigonduex, Rios, Pavlik, Mikey Gracia, Margarito, Mike Jones, Nonito Donaire, Jorge Arce, Jose Benavidez... off the top of my head

To me it just looks like GBP has more for the future and have really closed the gap on Top Rank.

Who wins head to head?

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 8 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #5

Amateur

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 8 2011, 12:45 PM) *

GBP: Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan, Robert Guerrero, Erik Morales, Miadana, Mathysee, Broner, Mares, Canelo Avarez, Erislandy Lara, Seth Mitchell, Deontay Wilder, James Kirkland, Gary Russel Jr, Jorge Linares.... those are just what i can name off the top of my head

Vanes Martirosyan, Rigonduex, Rios, Pavlik, Mikey Gracia, Margarito, Mike Jones, Nonito Donaire, Jorge Arce, Jose Benavidez... off the top of my head

To me it just looks like GBP has more for the future and have really closed the gap on Top Rank.

Who wins head to head?

Again bro, with all the layers, TRP by a hair with GBP closing the gap fast and might have the better prospects and better Latino fighters...to close to call but by the end of the year GBP could easily be ahead of TRP!

This post has been edited by caneman: Aug 8 2011, 01:01 PM

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Aug 8 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 8 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Again bro, with all the layers, TRP by a hair with GBP closing the gap fast and might have the better prospects and better Latino fighters...to close to call but by the end of the year GBP could easily be ahead of TRP!

we are on same page, agree with you fully. Golden Boy looks to really be stepping it up, lets hope Top Rank decides to answer the challenge and some really great fight cards get made.

Side note: I forgot to add B-Hop to GBP stable

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 8 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 8 2011, 01:45 PM) *

Who wins head to head?

GBP will beat most of Arum's Top Rank fighters in a fight any day, but GBP loses when it comes to selling tickets and so forth...simply because Arum's "in-house matching" has almost completely backfired on him. Most of Arum's top guys have beaten eachother to a pulp and they are hanging on by a thread. One thing I can say about Arum's fighters is that they can sell tickets and they get the job done. Let's not forget that the young, promising, and rising stars haven't really given boxing what it needs in the past few years...look how the fighters in the 140lb crashed their majic carpet and hurt the sport.

For now, let's leave it to the older fighters who are at risk of getting hurt, to keep the sport going. If it took Morales vs Maidana to make a PPV possible in the 140lb division, then that should tell us everything we need to know. Arum has the fighters that headline PPVs and Oscar has the young rising stars (that have more work to do). Let's see the improvement of GBP after Sept. 17th!

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 8 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #8

Amateur

Arum really blew it when it comes down to Juanma vs Gamboa and that would be a fun, but after seeing how slow Juanma was in his loss, Gamboa would totally destroy him IMO! Again, Arum better wake up and pay attention to what is really going on!

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Aug 8 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 8 2011, 02:22 PM) *
Arum really blew it when it comes down to Juanma vs Gamboa and that would be a fun, but after seeing how slow Juanma was in his loss, Gamboa would totally destroy him IMO! Again, Arum better wake up and pay attention to what is really going on!

Yea i really don't get what he was trying to accomplish with having Jaunma vs Salido. Salido gave Gamboa a fight and and stood up to everything he threw at him. I understand building a fight but Salido was the wrong opponent to do that against. The fight is really worth very little now, when you have two guys who are in their primes, undefeated, and have belts in multiple divisions you fight them. Promoters have done this time and time again. I agree that Gamboa would have been too much for Juanma and still is but it would have been fun to watch and really would have rose Gamboa's stock. I think Gamboa and Donaire are the next to fighters who we see rise up multiple divisions. Arum needs to bring Donaire up to 122 and fight Arce for that belt instead of the other way around. Donaire is too big for 118 and big fights are available for him up the scales. Same with Gamboa, he needs to go to 130 and then test the waters at 135. I really believe in 2 years we could see Gamboa fighting in the 135-140lb division and the same for Donaire in the next 3 years

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 8 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #10

Amateur

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 8 2011, 02:04 PM) *
Yea i really don't get what he was trying to accomplish with having Jaunma vs Salido. Salido gave Gamboa a fight and and stood up to everything he threw at him. I understand building a fight but Salido was the wrong opponent to do that against. The fight is really worth very little now, when you have two guys who are in their primes, undefeated, and have belts in multiple divisions you fight them. Promoters have done this time and time again. I agree that Gamboa would have been too much for Juanma and still is but it would have been fun to watch and really would have rose Gamboa's stock. I think Gamboa and Donaire are the next to fighters who we see rise up multiple divisions. Arum needs to bring Donaire up to 122 and fight Arce for that belt instead of the other way around. Donaire is too big for 118 and big fights are available for him up the scales. Same with Gamboa, he needs to go to 130 and then test the waters at 135. I really believe in 2 years we could see Gamboa fighting in the 135-140lb division and the same for Donaire in the next 3 years

I have thought about Gamboa vs Broner(sp) a few times!

This post has been edited by caneman: Aug 8 2011, 02:21 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 07:59 PM