Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andre Ward vs Floyd Mayweather @ 147 Who Wins?, Fantasy Fights Series
BoxingEinstein
post Dec 20 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Hello, Today will be the start of my new series called Fantasy Fights. I will start with tactical and precise fights that won't likely happen. Have at it?

Floyd Mayweather vs a 147 Andre Ward

This match up intrigued as I watched Ward vs Froch, Ward fought like Floyd did against Mosley. Fighting in the pocket, throwing close and hard hooks to the head and body. Dodging punches within punching distances using reflexes and timing. Also countering jabs by stepping outside or ducking under with jabs to the body.

I think both have similarities and there is no doubt that Ward obviously watches Floyd's fights and learns some things from him. Also Ward has came out openly stating that Mayweather is his favourite fighter. Ward relies on speed, foot speed, reflexes, his defense, and his ability to nullify his opponents greatest assets hmm...sounds like another boxer we all love and hate doesn't it. Ward does it differently he relies more so on reflexes to get in and dodge than timing like Mayweather does.

Ward reminds me of the Mayweather of now, the counter punching style i call it "Controlled Aggression" which uses timing, reflexes, stepping outside to counter over jabs and hooks while maintaining within punching distances or phonebooth.

Mayweather on the other hand relies on his timing, ability to analyze and figure his opponents out then adapt, reflexes and hand speed to beat opponents.
I see the fight being one of Mayweathers most difficult if not his hardest fight to win. Mayweather hasn't fought an opponent who's fast on his feet, who has premier reflexes, who has good timing, has a good great jab, and while able to nullify opponents best weapons.

It would not be a slug fest but I see some fireworks here and there and it heading to the scorecards. I also like to add Ward hasn't faced an opponent as good as Floyd is.

Ward has never faced an opponent who can fight just as great on the outside and inside, adapt, who has a great jab, counter puncher, and an overall close to flawless skill set.
It would be a tough fight for both but I see Floyd winning a close UD since he has the most experience and is a better adapter plus inside fighter than Ward. What do ya think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Dec 20 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 6,534

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 20 2011, 02:39 PM) *
Hello, Today will be the start of my new series called Fantasy Fights. I will start with tactical and precise fights that won't likely happen. Have at it?

Floyd Mayweather vs a 147 Andre Ward

This match up intrigued as I watched Ward vs Froch, Ward fought like Floyd did against Mosley. Fighting in the pocket, throwing close and hard hooks to the head and body. Dodging punches within punching distances using reflexes and timing. Also countering jabs by stepping outside or ducking under with jabs to the body.

I think both have similarities and there is no doubt that Ward obviously watches Floyd's fights and learns some things from him. Also Ward has came out openly stating that Mayweather is his favourite fighter. Ward relies on speed, foot speed, reflexes, his defense, and his ability to nullify his opponents greatest assets hmm...sounds like another boxer we all love and hate doesn't it. Ward does it differently he relies more so on reflexes to get in and dodge than timing like Mayweather does.

Ward reminds me of the Mayweather of now, the counter punching style i call it "Controlled Aggression" which uses timing, reflexes, stepping outside to counter over jabs and hooks while maintaining within punching distances or phonebooth.

Mayweather on the other hand relies on his timing, ability to analyze and figure his opponents out then adapt, reflexes and hand speed to beat opponents.
I see the fight being one of Mayweathers most difficult if not his hardest fight to win. Mayweather hasn't fought an opponent who's fast on his feet, who has premier reflexes, who has good timing, has a good great jab, and while able to nullify opponents best weapons.

It would not be a slug fest but I see some fireworks here and there and it heading to the scorecards. I also like to add Ward hasn't faced an opponent as good as Floyd is.

Ward has never faced an opponent who can fight just as great on the outside and inside, adapt, who has a great jab, counter puncher, and an overall close to flawless skill set.
It would be a tough fight for both but I see Floyd winning a close UD since he has the most experience and is a better adapter plus inside fighter than Ward. What do ya think?

Ward at 147 is impossible....Mayweather at 168 is impossible...Its almost like V. Klitschko vs Mayweather at 147 lol...to me Ward is the more complete and versatile fighter but this matchup is just not realistic.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Dec 20 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #3

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Dec 20 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Ward at 147 is impossible....Mayweather at 168 is impossible...Its almost like V. Klitschko vs Mayweather at 147 lol...to me Ward is the more complete and versatile fighter but this matchup is just not realistic.

look at the description... did you skim through it?

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Dec 20 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 6,534

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 20 2011, 03:06 PM) *
look at the description... did you skim through it?

I think its just the 147 thing that throws me off....I know its a "fantasy matchup". Just for entertainment I would say Ward wins the fight...he is the more versatile and complete fighter. Since hitting Welter Mayweather has shown us his great defensive counter punching...pot shotting and using his footwork and handspeed...lately he has shown us his ability to stand his ground...come forward and open up a bit but Ward is whole different animal....the most complete fighter in the sport...he can brawl, he can box, has the jab that would bother Floyd, the footwork, handspeed, the physicality, and an inside fighting game that is next to none. To me there are still guys who are not as good as Ward who could give Mayweather alot of trouble...like Martinez, Alvarez, and Cotto.

Now I know Ward hasnt been around too long but I think the difference is it seems Ward is willing to fight any and everybody where as Floyd isnt so we will probably never truly see just what Floyd is made of. In my opinion Ward would dominate anyone at 168 and below...and even a few guys at 175. I can speculate the same about Floyd but he has yet to fight the best in his division....or fight the best around his division.

+Quote Post
Aware
post Dec 20 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #5

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 1,624

You need a Roy Jones type fighter to beat Floyd, in other words, they possess other worldly speed, power, and skill (this is where Pacquiao falls short) . Andre Ward is great, but his skill is not as fluid or natural as Floyd's. They are both cerebral fighters, but Floyd's ring IQ is probably the highest ever. I envision a fight where Floyd is able to make the proper adjustments to pull out a competitive UD.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 20 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Aware @ Dec 20 2011, 06:35 PM) *
You need a Roy Jones type fighter to beat Floyd, in other words, they possess other worldly speed, power, and skill (this is where Pacquiao falls short) . Andre Ward is great, but his skill is not as fluid or natural as Floyd's. They are both cerebral fighters, but Floyd's ring IQ is probably the highest ever. I envision a fight where Floyd is able to make the proper adjustments to pull out a competitive UD.

+1

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Dec 20 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

At this point in Ward's career he has shown versatility akin to mayweather but he does not have it down pat yet. he still is rough around the edges. Mayweather wins UD.

BUT, i think it is possible that Ward could improve to a point where it would not be such a clear-cut decision for me.

I think beatin mayweather is more about his opponent's mentality than anything. I think the physical stuff has to do with pivoting when he hooks, keepin space and preventin the right, and keeping balance in the clinch (mostly feets). But the big thing to me is keeping your composure, keeping frustration at bay, and keeping calm.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 20 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

it would be mayweather fighting mayweather since ward fights a lot like mayweather and i think the original will always beat the copy.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 20 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I would give this to Floyd, just slightly though. He and Ward move in a quite similar fashion, but as Aware said, Ward isn't as fluid. Ward gets away with things because he's usually a step or two ahead of his opponents...giving him room to make mistakes, with little consequence. Im not sure that will be the case if he and Floyd fought in the same weight class.

Floyd would also have a slight advantage offensively (straight right hand) and defensively (shoulder roll), but he would have to deal with Ward's patience, movement, and accelerated skill level. Neither of the two have fought a fighter of each other's caliber, so it should be interesting.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 20 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

andre ward at 147!?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:52 PM