IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> no love for Claressa Shields???, our first boxing gold medalist since Ward...
daprofessor
post Aug 9 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

congrats!!! this girl can fight!!! 17 yrs old...very skilled.

(IMG:http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/olympics/2012/08/09/claressa.shields.ap/shields-st.jpg)

2nd youngest to win gold ever.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Aug 9 2012, 04:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 9 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

That girl is a beast I saw her fight yesterday, and she's only 17.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 9 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 9 2012, 05:02 PM) *
That girl is a beast I saw her fight yesterday, and she's only 17.

someone told me she was better than most of the guys on the team....i checked her out...she definitely is!!!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 9 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I missed her fights, but I saw some tweets about it yesterday. Im happy for her! The guys had molasses up their asses the whole time...kinda turned me away from the remaining contenders.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 9 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

She is serious in the ring. I was very happy to see her win that gold because it meant so much to her. i hope she eventually turns to the pro ranks

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 9 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I think she's the first team USA female to win gold in boxing

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Aug 10 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I had hope for Errol Spence but that vanished. Glad to see she took care of business. Go USA!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 18 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

It still slipped my mind that this chick hasn't even graduated high school yet, and she's a gold medalist. From what she said on FNFs last night, her team said that it's too early for her to go pro, so we see her in the 2016 Olympics.

Anyhow, I'm pissed that female boxing isn't as publicized as it should be. We have a female gold medalist who may never get the type of exposure that she needs, but the men fucked up bad this time around, and some of these dudes will probably be pushed as the next big thing in the sport.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 19 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 18 2012, 11:12 PM) *
It still slipped my mind that this chick hasn't even graduated high school yet, and she's a gold medalist. From what she said on FNFs last night, her team said that it's too early for her to go pro, so we see her in the 2016 Olympics.

Anyhow, I'm pissed that female boxing isn't as publicized as it should be. We have a female gold medalist who may never get the type of exposure that she needs, but the men fucked up bad this time around, and some of these dudes will probably be pushed as the next big thing in the sport.

i cannot blame the men for their bad showing. they are being produced by a system that does not understand olympic boxing and has no desire to. the sad part...they believe that 2016 will be different because the scoring is going to change and they're getting rid of headgear. i believe the system is going to produce the same results and u.s.a will be left behind in amateur boxing again.

the simple solution....look at the last guys to win medals for the u.s. they were obviously doing something right. they and their coaches are the experts. freddie roach never produced a gold medal. neither has any of the current olympic staff. we need ppl with total understanding of the amateur system.

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Aug 19 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #10

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

I'm happy for Claressa, she's very skilled for her level and gender...what with that mostly effective bobbing and weaving! I would doubt that even Laila Ali was that skilled while at that age bracket.

It was somehow worrisome that none of the usual suspects (my favs are on Boxing Scene) would put up videos of her bouts, even the gold wining one, as at two days ago. In the mean time, I have had to resort to YouTube to see some high quality ones from this Olympics, and then some. Man, was I glad I did.

If I were handling her, I would just allow her to go pro once she's done with high school and she remains motivated. Boxing seems to be her calling, and she's adorable and media friendly to boot. Why wait until she's past 21 to go pro? It's a lady for crying out loud. Al Haymon, please grab and nurture her to greatness.

P34c3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 07:48 PM