Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RIP Smoking Joe Fraizer..., the warrior dies @ 67
WolfishPromistah
post Nov 8 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,305

Tell me (and don’t be shy), have any others of you ever found yourselves actually chuckling in awe at what you see and feel, while watching Joe as he gets pummeled by Big George Foreman in their first fight? I mean, the man was amazing even in clear defeat!

Think – along with the always memorable Cosell words of “Down goes Frazier,” we may also keep in mind how Joe raised the level for observation, in representing what boxing heart is all about in that ring. It was like inhuman; I mean, he WOULD NOT STAY DOWN… and it was against big George Foreman! Talk about ready to die in the ring, and we can guess from what we know of him, Joe would have gone for just that if given the personal choice to decide the matter himself. And trainer Eddie Futch –(not Joe) stopped the classic Thrilla in Manilla. But Joe wanted to go BACK out there! Frazier was “crazy,” as I recall Ali once saying – in a great way, of course.

Then, to top it off, he had the nerve to be a supreme gentleman outside the ring, Jekyll and Hyde style – -- just the total package. I think it is certain the late Diego “Chico” Corrales took notes from it...even Manny Pacquiao.

R.I.P., “Smokin Joe” and thanks -- with blessings to your family, your friends and your millions of fans worldwide.

This post has been edited by WolfishPromistah: Nov 8 2011, 06:05 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 8 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #12

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

One of boxing greatest has passed. Thank you Joe for all the boxing memories and great times you brought to fans all over the world.

Jack

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Nov 8 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #13

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

i hope he gets a statue and the gym doesn't get demolished or refurbished

+Quote Post
caneman
post Nov 8 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #14

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

This has me really sad, I have seen a bunch of videos and old clips this morning. And it actually hurts inside! I feel like I had a personal loss!

+Quote Post
thehype
post Nov 8 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #15

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (wolterb @ Nov 8 2011, 10:19 AM) *
i hope he gets a statue and the gym doesn't get demolished or refurbished

The Rocky statue should be torn down and replaced.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Nov 8 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #16

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

BERNARD HOPKINS: "JOE FRAZIER IS AN ICON...HE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED"

After learning of the death of boxing legend Joe Frazier on Monday, fellow Philadelphia native and two-time middleweight and current light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins shared his thoughts on the famed champion's passing. "My reaction was I expected it to come, but the denial of it coming is something that people that know Joe and have been around him tried to block out. It was not shocking, because I knew he had been sick for a while, but now it is real and he is really not here with us anymore."

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11154.html

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Nov 8 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #17

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

Boxing lost a great Champion. R.I.P Joe.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 8 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #18

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Im supposed to be working, but obviously Im still posting and watching the Thrilla in Manilla! Cant get enough of this one!

+Quote Post
AlynK
post Nov 8 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #19

Amateur

Member No.: 13,178

Joe was a legend and a true warrior who wasn't afraid to put his all into the ring. He put his all into Thrilla in Manila and he was never really the same fighter after it. I have a lot of respect for him. RIP

“Life doesn't run away from nobody, life runs at people” – Joe Frazier

+Quote Post
thehype
post Nov 8 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #20

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

DON KING: "FRAZIER WAS THE EMBODIMENT OF WHAT A GREAT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION AND PERSON SHOULD BE"

Legendary promoter Don King, who promoted Joe Frazier in the finale of Frazier's phenomenal trilogy with Muhammad Ali, 1975's "Thrilla in Manila," made the following statement from his South Florida home after learning last night of the death of his longtime friend: "Smokin' Joe Frazier was the embodiment of what a great heavyweight champion and person should be. He was a great gladiator. When Smokin' Joe came to the ring, you knew you had someone who was coming to fight. I was proud to have known and promoted him, and I was honored to call him a friend."

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11155.html

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 04:48 PM