Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Antonio Margarito, Pound For Pound?
D-MARV
post Jul 30 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,540

Antonio's win this past weekend was more than just a victory, it was his crowing achievement and maybe a prelude to more to come. Before this weekend I thought Margarito was nothing more than a good fighter who didn't have the tools to make it to the top. Now Margarito finds himself one fight away from welterweight supremacy. With that being said, does this fight move him into the Pound for Pound rankings?

Personally, I don't think he his Pound for Pound top 10 but definitely top 15!

What are your thoughts? Discuss

This post has been edited by damarvelous1: Jul 30 2008, 09:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jul 30 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Heavyweight

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 30 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]398168[/snapback]
Much respect to Margarito. You can't hate a guy who fights like that.

Just don't go over board with this win. The fact is, this is the exact same Margarito that has been around for years. Not like it's a new and improved fighter. This is the exact same guy that disappointed against Clottey, the exact same guy that got decisioned by Williams. All it takes is a fight with Williams or Clottey and he is back to where he was. Like I said, credit and respect for beating Cotto, he was wrong for him and beat him down to a bloody mess. But I'm not going to look at him in an entirely different light. This is the same guy we have seen for a while. Just keep that in mind and lets keep things in perspective.

I feel ya Fitz.

But Cotto was a Pound 4 Pound fighter and Mrgarito KO'd him! that ha to make the boxing world look at him in a higher place!

+Quote Post
buford54
post Jul 30 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #3

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,990

It's not really fair of me to do, because he technically makes weight and fights at 147...but I have a hard time ranking a pretty 1 dimensional fighter who has a size advantage over almost everyone else at that weight in the 'pound for pound' list.

Now if he were able to move to 154 and beat top guys there, that could change.
The problem is, when he fought someone who had a significant size (height) advantage over him, he lost (Paul Willams).

I hate to say it, but someone with Floyd's skill, all other things being equal, could compete and win at any weight. But one dimensional lumberjacks who throw long, looping punches that can be seen with the Hubble telescope at their inception, 15 billion light years before they arrive at their destination, are a dime a dozen.

Don't get me wrong, he is a beast, and I thoroughly enjoy watching him fight...but he's not at that level. Not to mention, his record with current top welterweights is 2 and 1 (Cotto/Cintron and Williams).

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Jul 30 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 4,102

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 30 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]398168[/snapback]
Much respect to Margarito. You can't hate a guy who fights like that.

Just don't go over board with this win. The fact is, this is the exact same Margarito that has been around for years. Not like it's a new and improved fighter. This is the exact same guy that disappointed against Clottey, the exact same guy that got decisioned by Williams. All it takes is a fight with Williams or Clottey and he is back to where he was. Like I said, credit and respect for beating Cotto, he was wrong for him and beat him down to a bloody mess. But I'm not going to look at him in an entirely different light. This is the same guy we have seen for a while. Just keep that in mind and lets keep things in perspective.

Nicely Put, lol!!!!

If you look at the compu box numbers {I know they're just above worthless} AM numbers were horrendous. In round 7 he threw 130 punches and only 48 connected. So he is still the same Margarito. He just is physically in the wrong division. He is a true 154+ pounder and there are few if any true WW that can match his size. I don't count williams because he is still very young and eventually he's going to start having problems making the 147lb limit.

AM = P4P ................. NO!!!!!!!

He is a huge fish in a pond with alot of smaller fishes and when you have that kind of size advantgage coupled with that iron chin, you're going to be a force, its just inevitable. But, his timing is terrible, his accuracy is terrible and his technique is terrible, still he gets the job done. Because he is a physical force in the ring. And that my friend, don't make you a P4P best in the sport.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Jul 30 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #5

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

Probably somewhere between 8-12.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Jul 30 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #6

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

I pretty much totally agree with everyone so far........Margarito is not a "P4P" boxer........but I do believe he deserves a big push for beating Cotto....

I won't argue with anyone saying he's 9th to 15th....8th is kinda pushing it to me....

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jul 30 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Heavyweight

Reason why I brought this topic up is... The Ring has him at number 6, LOL

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jul 30 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

My P4P rankings are pretty fucked...all I know is Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez are back to back the top 2 fighters in the sport right now..

And the next 8 are Vazquez, Calzgahe, Margarito, Cotto, Pavlik, Montiel, Williams, Calderon

Well, alot of the P4P talent is in the lower ratings.

Margarito just beat a P4Per in Cotto but Williams beat him clearly last year and just avenged a loss by 1st round knockout so he should be a P4Per as well I guess..even though he hasn't really done much at all.

Alot of the P4P talent is in the lower weight classes with guys like Jhonny Gonzalez, Fernando Montiel, Nonito Donaire, Ivan Calderon (getting old himself), Gerry Penalosa, Israel Vazquez, Rafael Marquez, Juan Manuel Marquez...

I think the winner of Dawson-Tarver should be a P4Per (IMHO) too.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Jul 30 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #9

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 31 2008, 12:05 AM) [snapback]398193[/snapback]
Reason why I brought this topic up is... The Ring has him at number 6, LOL

Doesn't surprise me.....I can count on one hand the times I was satisfied with their Top 10.....needless to say, I RARELY check that list anymore.....some people think that if a Top 20 beats a #5, he deserves to take the loser's spot...or one or two behind it....

I don't see it that way.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Jul 30 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #10

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

Good fighter...yes, P4P top ten.....no. Please lets not blows him out of proportion. He isn't a revamped fighter. Please dont turn him into another Kelly Pavlick fighter hype. Let me see him hand vicious beatdowns to about two more top WW and revenge his loss to Williams in high fashion then I have no choice but to slap him right there in the top 10 P4P.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 11:48 AM