IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> With UFC (MMA) now on FOX, what does that say about boxing?, What's your take?
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 22 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #41

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 21 2011, 09:10 PM) *
People always say the same thing, but there is always a stream of new fighters coming in and taking over the reins. When PBF and Pacquiao retire, it's not going to end boxing. Fans aren't going to walk away.

Well, that isn't true. When Pac and Mayweather go away those viewers aren't necessarily absorbed by another fighter. Boxing is still contracting, which means many fans are becoming casual fans, who are, in turn, becoming former fans. The silliest notion by some people in boxing is that boxing is going to perpetually chug along in its current state. It can get worse.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 22 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (wolterb @ Aug 22 2011, 10:15 AM) *
if it does not hurt boxing it is retarded. on this message board there are always posts filled with hyperbole that, more than critique, belittle fighters. everyone has standards, but goddamn...some people on here act like if the fight does not end with a beheading of one of the fighters than the match is a total sign of the times. hindsight is always 2020 and who knows how this era of boxing will be remembered...i do know that none of the rhetoric contemporary fans use in describing its fighters will be used, though. i don't know any other sport where the fans demand more from the participants than boxing.

"vlad won again" "yeah but it was boring!"
well go fuck yourself.

It's part of sports. Criticizing the participants has been a part of the game since the Roman Olympics. Grow a pair.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Aug 22 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #43

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 333

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 22 2011, 06:29 PM) *
It's part of sports. Criticizing the participants has been a part of the game since the Roman Olympics. Grow a pair.

Don't you mean the Greek olympics? ha ha.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Aug 22 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #44

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 20 2011, 03:08 AM) *
The MMA fighters of today are definitely better, but that's not my point. The point is that as it stands right now, none of the champions in the UFC are as famous as Lidell, Ortiz or Couture were back in 05. Maybe that will change in the coming months though.

Brock Lesnar and GSP, by pure statistics are more famous than any of those guys you mentioned. They both do HUGE PPV numbers in comparison to those guys.

This post has been edited by and the NEW: Aug 22 2011, 10:08 PM

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 22 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #45

Cruiserweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,333

I knew Brock did huge numbers but I wasn't aware that GSP did as well. I remember reading an article saying that when GSP fought in Toronto, there was a lot of anticipation in Canada but not nearly as enough in the U.S. The point is that MMA is still a niche sport, same as boxing.

And boxing fans are savvy enough and addicted enough to the sport that they won't be going away anytime soon. Yes boxing can get worse, but if it does, then the promoters are out of business as well, and since they are the problem right now, if they are threatened, then they can easily become the solution.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 23 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #46

QUOTE (and the NEW @ Aug 22 2011, 10:42 PM) *
Don't you mean the Greek olympics? ha ha.

those too.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 23 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #47

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 22 2011, 11:54 PM) *
I knew Brock did huge numbers but I wasn't aware that GSP did as well. I remember reading an article saying that when GSP fought in Toronto, there was a lot of anticipation in Canada but not nearly as enough in the U.S. The point is that MMA is still a niche sport, same as boxing.

And boxing fans are savvy enough and addicted enough to the sport that they won't be going away anytime soon. Yes boxing can get worse, but if it does, then the promoters are out of business as well, and since they are the problem right now, if they are threatened, then they can easily become the solution.

If boxing fans are savvy, they're not going to be fooled by some over-hyped media creation that a promoter is shoving down everyone's throat. The talent has to be there. Nonito Donaire is the future of boxing, I think, but he's not that young, and he's too preoccupied with moving up weight classes and being like Manny Pacquiao. Martinez is gonna get old before he gets big, and Gamboa isn't that good. You gotta think Pacquiao and Mayweather are going to fight next year. Could be a nice final coda for the sport instead of the "revival" that people will describe it as.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Aug 23 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #48

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 22 2011, 01:29 PM) *

lol fair enuf

"maximus victorious again!" "but what a bore it was"
go sword yourself.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Aug 23 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #49

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 23 2011, 08:20 AM) *
those too.

every fan criticizes the athletes i get it, i do too
seems like in boxing we have higher expectations...thats alright, not tryin to step on neones toes just stating

speakin of ancient spectacles why can't we get a decent indoor naval battle organized in this damn country of ours??

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Aug 23 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #50

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

Boxing needs to follow the UFC marketing blueprint. Dana White knows how to get it done. If we were back on network tv, it would solve so many problems.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 09:09 AM