> Question About MMA vs. Boxing?
Jack 1000
post Aug 2 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

What I don't understand is,

How come if a boxing match ends in say 90 seconds, people think they got ripped off. But if an MMA fight ends in 90 seconds, many people think that's amazing? I have seen some of these MMA events that are over at the drop of a hat, and so many people think that's great, even if they paid $50 for it. But for boxing, you pay $50 for a PPV that ends in 90 seconds, people think that sucks.

Personally, for boxing, I like the fighter to get some rounds in. I love knockouts but I don't want the fights to be over too quickly. I would like 3 rounds of action or more for my money in most cases. And of course, if a fight is a two-sided 12 round war, or in the earlier years of 15 rounds, what MMA purist would not love to see something like that!? Now, the MMA contests even at non-title duration are too short. Only 3 rounds for non-title fights? You just get into a fight, and its over.

The 5-round title matches are a little better. But I like the longer distance durations that boxing provides. It demonstrates the importance of endurance and stamina in conditioning. MMA guys don't have to have that long of an endurance clip because their fights are so much shorter. Longer distances, are the true measuring sticks of boxing champions. And MMA, no matter what spin you put on it, can't say that.

I'd like to hear how other people feel about this.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Aug 2 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,195

MMA fans have a gladiator mentality where they want blood immediately which is why they always boo technical matches. Most boxing fans love the little nuiances such as slipping punches, the beauty of a jab, body attack, etc. I for one loved the Gatti Ward trilogy for its blood and guts but I can watch Hopkins dismatle Trinidad any day of the week.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Aug 2 2010, 05:02 PM
Post #3

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Aug 2 2010, 04:19 PM) *
MMA fans have a gladiator mentality where they want blood immediately which is why they always boo technical matches. Most boxing fans love the little nuiances such as slipping punches, the beauty of a jab, body attack, etc. I for one loved the Gatti Ward trilogy for its blood and guts but I can watch Hopkins dismatle Trinidad any day of the week.

i agree... mma fans are a different type of fight fan all together different from your average boxing fan...

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 2 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #4

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Yup. Different type of fan.

Personally, I can't go 1 full minute watching MMA without growing restless. I'm not knocking the sport but that's just not my style.

In boxing, I don't necessarily think that quick KO's are looked upon as a bad thing. Mike Tyson was one of the most watched fighters of all time and many knew that there was a good chance that the fight wouldn't leave the first round.

Take Edwin Valero for example.. He was certainly on his way to being a decent draw simply because his fights ended in knockouts. Most fans that tuned in to his fights knew that his fight would likely be ended early.

This post has been edited by D-MARV: Aug 2 2010, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 2 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

I think it's because MMA is just more appealing to some people, they want to see the physicality of it rather than the sweet science of boxing.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Aug 2 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #6

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

IMO is because boxing fights are generally scheduled for more rounds. Championship for MMA is 5 rounds, while boxing is 12 rounds. Maybe it is just a perception call?

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 2 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #7

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 2 2010, 05:48 PM) *
I think it's because MMA is just more appealing to some people, they want to see the physicality of it rather than the sweet science of boxing.

Barbarians vs. scientists??

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Aug 2 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2010, 05:24 PM) *
Barbarians vs. scientists??

Yup Yup.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Aug 2 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 2 2010, 10:17 PM) *
Probably because they have about another 4 fights that are very good and boxing only has the main event about 90% of the time.

If all 4 of those fights ended in under 90 seconds, would people still think it was worthwhile?

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 2 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

Because most mma fans are fucking dumb ass rednecks, and apparently add runs in their inbred genetic pools.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:36 AM