IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Just Thought About Something..., Help me out here...
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 03:39 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 8 2013, 05:44 PM) *
Cshel86 and this is what pisses me off about the whole Manny thing. Oscar fought everyone. He moved up in weight to fight Hopkins! He didn't drain him he moved up to fight him! That is why Oscar has my respect, he lost of course but still he went to challenge a champion and Manny has never done that. Either he drains them or puts stipulations on the weight clause. Manny's earlier fights with the aforementioned opponents were great, he showed heart and a willingness to take punishment and give it but as he grew in popularity his competition became suspect and no one because he was "Mr. Humble Nice Guy I fight for my People" questioned his opponents or how he made them fight. The moment this guy gets dropped all of the sudden PEDs are bad for boxing. Oscar earned his ranks Manny was given his,

I agree 100% that boxing pundits and "sports" writers are destroying boxing and sports as a whole. They pick their favorites and write warm cuddly feeling articles about their heroes and demonized the ones they hate. In return the clueless public goes along with their BS. Take HBO's nut sucking sperm swallowing of Pacquiao, they have to save face because they were responsible for hyping Manny up to be this unstoppable force. Now Marquez is a cheat and boxing needs harder testing.

Broner will lose at least 3 to 4 fights. Maybe by the end of the year or early 2014. He takes too many risks, he cares about looking good rather than boxing smart. That could be his downfall. I think he is a damn good salesman I do. I do not see the dedication in Broner to boxing that Mayweather has. Only time will tell bro so the only thing we can do is watch.

he made bhop drop. he was 156 for that fight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 03:43 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 8 2013, 06:03 PM) *
while he did drain cotto, and margarito, who else was drained? It was de la hoyas, choice to come in at some stupidly low weight and not rehydrate, although there is the whole rehydration clause business but thats been discussed to death, while yes he drained these two he himself was easily so many weight classes below them was he not in natural body size, from what i remember he had to eat a ton at first just to keep that weight on

hatton was only allowed to gain 5lbs after the initial weigh in.

clottey has made some statements regarding his weight that made the whole thing suspect which is why i believe he's been shelved.

the myth about him having to eat a ton to keep the weight on was dismissed by a video that showed his actual weight when he stepped into the ring against morales and a few others.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jan 9 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #23

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 03:39 PM) *

The fight was contracted at at 158.. Hopkins came in at 156 to prove a point .. after the 4th round Hopkins looked to be much faster than DLH.. Hopkins physical upkeep as a fighter is legendary in and of itself

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 9 2013, 09:07 AM) *
I hate it for Donaire though, seriously. He's failed to find his identity in the sport, and that's mostly due to his competition. Most of those guys in the lower weight classes nowadays, have failed to make a name for themselves, so it's harder for Donaire to do so.

He's not blessed with the Barreras, Moraleses (hope I spelled that right), or the Marquezes of the world. Gary Russell Jr. and few other guys in the smaller weight classes are pretty much in the same boat, in regards to not having competition.

he has plenty.

rigondeaux, mares, agbeko, moreno, russell, rojas (kid that got in arces ass) and a few others.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 9 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 03:49 PM) *
he has plenty.

rigondeaux, mares, agbeko, moreno, russell, rojas (kid that got in arces ass) and a few others.

The sad thing about the fights you listed is, Donaire would actually have to have a knockdown-dragout with these guys, to even get noticed. It would probably have to be a JMM/Pac 1 or a Gatti/Ward-type fight, for people to even look his way.

Rigondeaux is still unknown, and I feel that Donaire beats him badly (after watching the Marroquin fight), Mares may give him a run, it depends on which Agbeko shows up, Russell will have trouble with Donaire's athleticism and size (I believe), and Rojas may give him arun...but his aggression may play against him.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but who knows. I hope I'm wrong though. As much as I don't like Donaire, I would like to see ALL fighters reach their max potential.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 9 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 08:43 PM) *
hatton was only allowed to gain 5lbs after the initial weigh in.

clottey has made some statements regarding his weight that made the whole thing suspect which is why i believe he's been shelved.

the myth about him having to eat a ton to keep the weight on was dismissed by a video that showed his actual weight when he stepped into the ring against morales and a few others.

so he was a big guy who drained?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jan 9 2013, 03:46 PM) *
The fight was contracted at at 158.. Hopkins came in at 156 to prove a point .. after the 4th round Hopkins looked to be much faster than DLH.. Hopkins physical upkeep as a fighter is legendary in and of itself

right. point being....dlh tried to play the weight game. he's benefited from it most of his career. some of his biggest wins came against guys who were physically much smaller than him but were past their primes fighting at higher weights.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #28

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 9 2013, 04:45 PM) *
The sad thing about the fights you listed is, Donaire would actually have to have a knockdown-dragout with these guys, to even get noticed. It would probably have to be a JMM/Pac 1 or a Gatti/Ward-type fight, for people to even look his way.

Rigondeaux is still unknown, and I feel that Donaire beats him badly (after watching the Marroquin fight), Mares may give him a run, it depends on which Agbeko shows up, Russell will have trouble with Donaire's athleticism and size (I believe), and Rojas may give him arun...but his aggression may play against him.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but who knows. I hope I'm wrong though. As much as I don't like Donaire, I would like to see ALL fighters reach their max potential.

u don't have to be popular to make an all time great fight. how popular were corrales/castillo to average fans when they fought? how about vasquez/marquez? i can go down a long list of great historical fights that fit this bill.

i'm not convinced donaire beats any of the guys i mentioned. i see rigondeaux and moreno giving him the hardest times. i wouldn't be shocked if agbeko beats him either. russell is the type of guy who could blow donaire out the water. he's at the weight class above...so i don't believe size will be an issue...plus he's blazing fast and throws much more technically sound punches than donaire. russell is a haymon fighter so we can pretty much rule out arum ever allowing donaire and russell in the same ring.

donaire has the opposition to achieve greatness. his ko wins over an undefeated darchinyan and a very highly skilled montiel are the type of wins that put him on his way and even got him into super stardom and the p4p conversation to begin with.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 9 2013, 05:31 PM) *
so he was a big guy who drained?

i think the last fight he had trouble making weight for was the last morales fight. there's a video floating around on youtube that shows the day of weights for several of his fights and he has weighed in the mid 140's for quite some time. so to answer your question...in the beginning..no. but with natural growth and progression...yes.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 9 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 12:39 PM) *

It was a 157 weight at catchweight correct? Either way he still moved up to fight him. That still gets my respect and Bernard didn't have to kill himself doing it. I thought he looked good in the fight. Thanks for the correction.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:40 AM