IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO: Berto vs Ortiz@9:45(ET)/6:45(PT): SPOILERS 45 MINS LATER, No New Spoiler Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of Showtime Card
gravytrain
post Apr 19 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #171

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 19 2011, 11:37 PM) *
It is only one fight but Ortiz got the job done by overcoming adversity. It is Berto's turn to prove if he can come back strong after a defeat. If Cotto can get back down to 147 comfortably it would be great to see if he can prove The Fonz right against Berto and Ortiz. I am not convinced that he carries enough strength at that weight. Pac made him look weak, but that's Pac.

Cotto v Ortiz would be an interesting war. I would like to see Maidana or Matthysse v Berto. Berto needs to learn to come in behind the jab with good combos if he intends to survive.

Ortiz passed a test on Saturday night. Berto failed.

It is time for Cotto to be tested. I hope he punishes and literally destroys Margarito, the rat fuck bastard.

Berto just needs to learn period. there wasn't really any time for growth with him since he was basically staying inactive and waiting for the biggest paydays to get thrown at him.

it's hard to say what happens with Margarito against Cotto, personally i think someone like Margarito is just wrong for Cotto period. i do like his chances better this time though because i think Margarito has faded enough for Cotto to box with him without having to worry about having his ass against the ropes most of the round. if he does beat him i really don't see him going below 154 because there wouldn't be any point and Pac could very well be 1 of his last fights if they rematch because that fight is going to be ugly in the mid-late rounds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Apr 20 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #172

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 19 2011, 10:42 PM) *
i think the fight was a mix of a few things; Berto not being very good and relatively untested, Ortiz being more comfortable at 147 since he was at 160 in the ring for the fight and 140 was probably pretty hard to make, and he might of even got tired of all the shit that came with him quitting. if you mess with somebody about something enough it can motivate them to change, i don't think Berto proved Ortiz is now unstoppable but he did eat some big shots and keep coming without hesitating. against a different fighter it might turn out differently.

i don't think Ortiz would quit in a rematch with Maidana if they fight again but i don't know how he'll handle someone putting on pressure every round with no breaks.

I see Ortiz stopping Maidana in the middle rds IF he can stick to a game plan and not lose focus.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Apr 20 2011, 03:27 AM
Post #173

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 19 2011, 05:41 PM) *
Ok, watched the fight, and it was a very good fight. Not sure if it was FOTY though, round 6 seemed like it could be round of the year, great round and was pretty entertaining fight. But Ortiz clearly dominated, and other than a few moments, Berto never looked in the fight. He was just looking for that one shot, and when landing, only landing a few shots at at a time. Wasn't really able to put punches together on Ortiz. Berto showed heart in the fight, and Ortiz came back from the knockdowns as well (he did that with Maidana a few times anyways?)

Ortiz has always been impressive offensively, though I still can't shake the Maidana fight out of my head. Berto didn't pressure, land consecutively and drag Ortiz in a war like Maidana did, so I still have that in the back of my head when thinking of Ortiz. That type of trait he showed in that fight isn't something you train for in the gym, and isn't flicked on and off like a switch. Not saying that mentality can't be changed, but it isn't simple.

I can't really fault Ortiz for his fight against Berto, he was damn impressive and filled out well at 147, so can't criticise him for that. Just the Maidana fight is hard to erase, and I wonder if he gets into a war again, when he is hit on the regular, if he will fold like a chair again. But like I said, that is the past. Based on the weekends performance, he was damn good.

I am sure some of it's luster was not there for you since you already knew the outcome and watched the ending of it live. As for me and possibly others this fight(while watching it live) was high drama every second not knowing what was coming next with all the KD's and such. Berto was the undefeated and Ortiz was having his first fight at welterweight and had a lot to prove. To me this was the best fight I have seen this year.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Apr 20 2011, 03:58 AM
Post #174

Guests

That's definitely true lightsout. It was a good fight, though watching it knowing the result, Berto never really looked like he was in the fight, other than that round (kind of like the moment Mosley had with Mayweather). Other than the punchers chance, Berto never ever looked like he was winning that fight. To me, he probably won a couple of rounds at best.
Don't get me wrong, watching it live, you probably always thought Berto could be one shot away. But he just didn't let his hands go, he threw one punch at a time and the excitement was mainly from Ortiz.
Good fight though, and I was harsh saying it wasn't FOTY, as it's only April and one of the better fights this year.

But at the end of the day, you are absolutely right. I didn't get the same emotion you guys would have watching it live. I know I would have been much more excited.

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Apr 21 2011, 04:38 AM
Post #175

Guests

Just watched the fight myself. I thought it has gotta be candidate for FOTY so far for sure. I however didn't fight the fight that close, I thought Ortiz took the fight pretty comfortably and looked good in doing so! I was pretty impressed with Ortiz's intensitity, he just wouldn't give Berto a break and his pressure paid off. He really did prove many wrong and think he did get some respect back.

As for Berto, I never thought much of him at all as a fighter and I think if he had fought Shane last year he would have been taken out early to middle rounds!! Andre Berto did not do close to enough to win the fight or take the rounds needed to win the fight. He just layed on the ropes and didn't look great when on the defense turning away alot of the times when getting hit.

Agree with the following posts..

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 19 2011, 10:41 PM) *
Ortiz has always been impressive offensively, though I still can't shake the Maidana fight out of my head. Berto didn't pressure, land consecutively and drag Ortiz in a war like Maidana did, so I still have that in the back of my head when thinking of Ortiz. That type of trait he showed in that fight isn't something you train for in the gym, and isn't flicked on and off like a switch. Not saying that mentality can't be changed, but it isn't simple.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2011, 03:07 AM) *
Getting up is one thing, and Ortiz was able to do with against Maidana, he folded when Maidana didn't slow down.
I don't know, people probably think I am being harsh, but quitting the way he did when he should be at his most hungriest as a fighter (as a young fighter) then saying he doesn't deserve to be hit like that, he has a future.
I just don't think what Ortiz experienced in the ring against Berto was the same intensity/experience he experienced with Maidana. I don't know, this is just an opinion, and time will tell. I just don't think Berto was hitting Ortiz like Maidana was. Berto was landing and looking for a shot at a time and just waiting, and basically doing nothing.

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 20 2011, 03:42 AM) *
i think the fight was a mix of a few things; Berto not being very good and relatively untested, Ortiz being more comfortable at 147 since he was at 160 in the ring for the fight and 140 was probably pretty hard to make, and he might of even got tired of all the shit that came with him quitting. if you mess with somebody about something enough it can motivate them to change, i don't think Berto proved Ortiz is now unstoppable but he did eat some big shots and keep coming without hesitating. against a different fighter it might turn out differently.

i don't think Ortiz would quit in a rematch with Maidana if they fight again but i don't know how he'll handle someone putting on pressure every round with no breaks.

Victor Ortiz, still needs some proving to do and I think he eventually needs to take a rematch with Marcos Maidana (which I think he is more than capable of winning!).

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:45 AM