Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Boxing State/City
Dolimite
post Dec 29 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

What state or city do you think has produced the best boxers? I think Michigan would be in the top five. Philly definitely, New York and I guess I can throw some international places like cities in Mexico. What do you guys say?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 29 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

michigan has produced joe louis, ray robinson, tommy hearns, roger mayweather, james toney and floyd mayweather. quite impressive.

puerto rico has produced quite a few champions per capita...ortiz, gomez, benitez, rosario, camacho, trinidad, cotto.

letting mexico claim all of its' champions is the equivalent to letting the u.s. claim all of its own.

p.r. the island is the equivalent to a major u.s. city when u consider its population size.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 29 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 29 2012, 02:42 PM) *
michigan has produced joe louis, ray robinson, tommy hearns, roger mayweather, james toney and floyd mayweather. quite impressive.

puerto rico has produced quite a few champions per capita...ortiz, gomez, benitez, rosario, camacho, trinidad, cotto.

letting mexico claim all of its' champions is the equivalent to letting the u.s. claim all of its own.

p.r. the island is the equivalent to a major u.s. city when u consider its population size.

Professor, not all of Mexico's cities, I know Chavez is from Sonora and I think Juan is from Mexico city, Duran is from Panama but I guess we can keep it in the US. I think Michigan has done a great job at producing fighters, maybe they are the best state for boxers.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Dec 29 2012, 06:25 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 29 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 29 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Professor, not all of Mexico's cities, I know Chavez is from Sonora and I think Juan is from Mexico city, Duran is from Panama but I guess we can keep it in the US. I think Michigan has done a great job at producing fighters, maybe they are the best state for boxers.

u can't say detroit because floyd and james toney are from ann arbor. oh shit...i forgot chris byrd.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 29 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I believe Mexico produces the best brawlers...but very few highly-skilled boxers. I think this has a lot to do with their Mexican pride...the reason why they may not have enough skill to beat you, but they have just enough stamina and punch resistance to outlast you. You'd better hope that dont work against yourself when fighting one...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 29 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

The UK itself can't take this one but a few that have come to hold up the name

Hatton - mans a warrior, one of the reasons I got into boxing, watching him destroy Michael Stewart who wasn't that good, made me go sign up to a boxing gym, well that and a few other things, and while he came back and wasn't all successful I hope his comeback was more of an attempt to clean his life up and stay in shape, rather than him going back to drugs and what not.

Naseem - always brought a crowd, was an entertainer, and the issue was I think he could of beat Barrera, but he didn't want it enough, he got lazy, but he was a draw and a character in the sport, fools compared him to the great Ali, but he wasn't close enough.

Nigel Ben - Beast, while not techically amazing and should of lost to Gerald McClellan but still he's been stopped a few times and he's had the heart to keep going

A few that are close, Khan, Lennox, and Calzaghe, and Eubank. well there not that close some of them but heres reasons below

Khan - needs to beat Garcia and Peterson and then do yano either unite the titles am not 100% sure if Garcia has them all but the fucking kid needs some brains

Lennox - fuck him, theres a reason he was never a great heavyweight and if you don't know it then am not explaining

Calzaghe - hide in wales and fought nobody of worth, although he was the first to beat Kessler and that other super middleweight fool, Lacy thats it, he beat an old Roy Jones and I personally think he lost to Hopkins and that was a fairly old Hopkins

Eubank - smh who did he beat? Yeah he beat Nigel Ben and you may think whys Ben in the acceptable part of this list, but this isn't just on who beat who otherwise Lennox would have solid wins over Tyson and Klit, when we all know he beat a shadow of Tyson and the Klit stoppage was bullshit.

Best Mexican of All time?

Marquez

fuck JCC.

This post has been edited by mgrover: Dec 29 2012, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 29 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 29 2012, 05:23 PM) *
The UK itself can't take this one but a few that have come to hold up the name

Hatton - mans a warrior, one of the reasons I got into boxing, watching him destroy Michael Stewart who wasn't that good, made me go sign up to a boxing gym, well that and a few other things, and while he came back and wasn't all successful I hope his comeback was more of an attempt to clean his life up and stay in shape, rather than him going back to drugs and what not.

Naseem - always brought a crowd, was an entertainer, and the issue was I think he could of beat Barrera, but he didn't want it enough, he got lazy, but he was a draw and a character in the sport, fools compared him to the great Ali, but he wasn't close enough.

Nigel Ben - Beast, while not techically amazing and should of lost to Gerald McClellan but still he's been stopped a few times and he's had the heart to keep going

A few that are close, Khan, Lennox, and Calzaghe, and Eubank. well there not that close some of them but heres reasons below

Khan - needs to beat Garcia and Peterson and then do yano either unite the titles am not 100% sure if Garcia has them all but the fucking kid needs some brains

Lennox - fuck him, theres a reason he was never a great heavyweight and if you don't know it then am not explaining

Calzaghe - hide in wales and fought nobody of worth, although he was the first to beat Kessler and that other super middleweight fool, Lacy thats it, he beat an old Roy Jones and I personally think he lost to Hopkins and that was a fairly old Hopkins

Eubank - smh who did he beat? Yeah he beat Nigel Ben and you may think whys Ben in the acceptable part of this list, but this isn't just on who beat who otherwise Lennox would have solid wins over Tyson and Klit, when we all know he beat a shadow of Tyson and the Klit stoppage was bullshit.

Best Mexican of All time?

Marquez

fuck JCC.

How do you shit on Lennox Lewis? Damn bro.

Professor Grand Rapids isn't that far from Detroit, hell we will just out Michigan as a whole. California is starting to produce some fighters but not enough to be considered a great boxing state. Argentina is starting to come up as well.

Chsels86 you sound like Larry Merchant, all blood and guts, no skill. I can see why he favored certain boxers excuse brawlers over boxers.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 30 2012, 01:26 AM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

How could I not say New York

Sugar Ray Robinson

Iron Mike

Jake Lamotta

Carmen Basillio

Riddick Bowe

Zab Judah

Danny Jacobs

Kid Chocolate

M..gue..C..tto

H..ctor..Ca...cho

Tito

Lol.. Thought I'd throw those last 3 in to shut this girl up...

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Dec 30 2012, 01:51 AM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 30 2012, 05:12 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 30 2012, 02:41 AM) *
How do you shit on Lennox Lewis? Damn bro.

Professor Grand Rapids isn't that far from Detroit, hell we will just out Michigan as a whole. California is starting to produce some fighters but not enough to be considered a great boxing state. Argentina is starting to come up as well.

Chsels86 you sound like Larry Merchant, all blood and guts, no skill. I can see why he favored certain boxers excuse brawlers over boxers.

lewis did a lot of bull shit

edit: he said a lot of shit about him not being at his best and vitali couldnt give him a hard time or someshit, and how he goes on about how Tyson was his greatest victory since yano he fought a Tyson that was pretty far past it.

This post has been edited by mgrover: Dec 30 2012, 08:54 AM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 30 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 30 2012, 03:12 AM) *
lewis did a lot of bull shit

edit: he said a lot of shit about him not being at his best and vitali couldnt give him a hard time or someshit, and how he goes on about how Tyson was his greatest victory since yano he fought a Tyson that was pretty far past it.

I love Lennnox, his jab was a thing of beauty and plus he is till coherent. I thought the Vitali gave him a run for his money but that eye was not going to let that fight continue, I would of liked Lewis to given VK another rematch but oh well. I just respected Lewis's demeanor. He was a gentlemen and he left at a good time. At a very good time.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:37 AM