Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oscar De La Hoya's Legacy
Dolimite
post Dec 21 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

Oscar has fought everyone there was to fight when he fought. However he seemed to lose the big matches, Trinidad, Hopkins, Shane, Mayweather, Pacquiao etc.. He has also had controversial decisions the one I remember most was Ike Quarty. How would you view De La Hoya's career? I think he was good a fighter, not great but good. I would rank him in the top 50. His looks, charisma, and heritage really helped his career, I wouldn't call him hype but he had a massive machine behind him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 22 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Great thread!

I would rate the Sturm "victory" over the Quartey victory. The Quartey fight was very close.

As for his career...his fan base was his biggest asset. Dude could fight just about anybody and do some decent numbers. Not all fighters have that luxury. I just didn't like his lack of confidence from time to time, but he fought just about everybody that was put in front of him.

Am I in the minority here?

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 22 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

A very good fighter was Delahoya, who had the fan base of a great fighter. Yes, he had trouble in some big fights, but I think was good.

Jack

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 22 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 22 2012, 11:04 AM) *
Great thread!

I would rate the Sturm "victory" over the Quartey victory. The Quartey fight was very close.

As for his career...his fan base was his biggest asset. Dude could fight just about anybody and do some decent numbers. Not all fighters have that luxury. I just didn't like his lack of confidence from time to time, but he fought just about everybody that was put in front of him.

Am I in the minority here?

A lot of people felt Ike won that fight. I don't know if Oscar took that fight serious. Ike came at him from the first round to the last. I gave Ike 7 rounds. Oscar fought legends Chavez Sr. Hector Camacho and Pernell Sweet Pea Whitaker also Hernandez (even though they were passed their prime). He even beat as you mentioned a young Felix Strum, i think he was undefeated at the time. He beat Vargas and fought Mosley twice and Trindad he has was champion in 6 different weight classes and he is worth damn near a billion dollars what 600 million? I just feel when it came to the big fights he didn't perform. Vargas was outmatched from the start. I am a Mayweather fan but Oscar could of won that fight if he had true grit but he faded like Roger predicted. His fight with Hopkins is my favorite, with a cut hand he still fought a lot of guys would of stopped the fight. He fought a good fight until that body shot sat him down for good. I think Hopkins respected Oscar after that fight. Again Oscar has heart but he didn't get up for the big fights. I guess if you could compare him with another athlete from another sport he would be my Matt Ryan, plays great during the regular season but once playoffs start that cat is ghost. Same with Oscar big fights he seems to fail. The media loved him I actually thought the fishnet pictures gave him personality, he was so robotic and commercial with his answers. At least the fishnets was out of character. I do think he still sniffs that white powder he always seems high. In all Oscar is a good boxer just not a great.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Dec 22 2012, 06:12 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 22 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 22 2012, 04:36 PM) *
A lot of people felt Ike won that fight. I don't know if Oscar took that fight serious. Ike came at him from the first round to the last. I gave Ike 7 rounds. Oscar fought legends Chavez Sr. Hector Camacho and Pernell Sweet Pea Whitaker also Hernandez (even though they were passed their prime). He even beat as you mentioned a young Felix Strum, i think he was undefeated at the time. He beat Vargas and fought Mosley twice and Trindad he has was champion in 6 different weight classes and he is worth damn near a billion dollars what 600 million? I just feel when it came to the big fights he didn't perform. Vargas was outmatched from the start. I am a Mayweather fan but Oscar could of won that fight if he had true grit but he faded like Roger predicted. His fight with Hopkins is my favorite, with a cut hand he still fought a lot of guys would of stopped the fight. He fought a good fight until that body shot sat him down for good. I think Hopkins respected Oscar after that fight. Again Oscar has heart but he didn't get up for the big fights. I guess if you could compare him with another athlete from another sport he would be my Matt Ryan, plays great during the regular season but once playoffs start that cat is ghost. Same with Oscar big fights he seems to fail. The media loved him I actually thought the fishnet pictures gave him personality, he was so robotic and commercial with his answers. At least the fishnets was out of character. I do think he still sniffs that white powder he always seems high. In all Oscar is a good boxer just not a great.

I believe that Ike won the first fight as well...it was a 1-point fight in my eyes. I feel like he truly lost that Sturm fight...he looked flabby and uninterested...as he did in the Hopkins fight.

I agree, he didn't perform all that great in his biggest fights...when it counted. I felt like he beat himself in those big fights...maybe he put too much pressure on himself mentally, before he even stepped in the ring.

Oscar did fade in the Mayweather fight, and people were wondering why he "stopped using the jab", which was winning him rounds. He didn't "stop" using the jab, it was taken away by Floyd, and he was only able to land it every blue moon.

Glad you brought up Matt Ryan...I HATE the Falcons. Well, I hate their fairweather fans, but the team is okay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Did you REALLY like the DLH/Hopkins fight? I have to go back and watch it...its been a while.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board! Lol

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 22 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 22 2012, 05:46 PM) *
I believe that Ike won the first fight as well...it was a 1-point fight in my eyes. I feel like he truly lost that Sturm fight...he looked flabby and uninterested...as he did in the Hopkins fight.

I agree, he didn't perform all that great in his biggest fights...when it counted. I felt like he beat himself in those big fights...maybe he put too much pressure on himself mentally, before he even stepped in the ring.

Oscar did fade in the Mayweather fight, and people were wondering why he "stopped using the jab", which was winning him rounds. He didn't "stop" using the jab, it was taken away by Floyd, and he was only able to land it every blue moon.

Glad you brought up Matt Ryan...I HATE the Falcons. Well, I hate their fairweather fans, but the team is okay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Did you REALLY like the DLH/Hopkins fight? I have to go back and watch it...its been a while.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board! Lol

Well I like that liver shot that Hopkins delivered, I felt for Oscar I mean that was a nasty shot. The Falcons suck, but I can't talk my team completely died on me this year. Its all good. Mayweather was a genius that fight. I knew he was going to win and I actually gave Mayweather 8 rounds. He just out thought Oscar.

Doniare vs. Canelo? lol.... Well I will say this Canelo would probably call him out I mean look at all the guys he fought. I lost respect for him when he fought Joseito Lopez. Criminal!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 22 2012, 08:59 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 22 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Well I like that liver shot that Hopkins delivered, I felt for Oscar I mean that was a nasty shot. The Falcons suck, but I can't talk my team completely died on me this year. Its all good. Mayweather was a genius that fight. I knew he was going to win and I actually gave Mayweather 8 rounds. He just out thought Oscar.

Doniare vs. Canelo? lol.... Well I will say this Canelo would probably call him out I mean look at all the guys he fought. I lost respect for him when he fought Joseito Lopez. Criminal!

You have me watching the Hopkins/DLH fight now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'll get back with you on the liver shot.

I hate the Falcons fans, and those bastards are playing tonight. As for the Mayweather/DLH fight, he did win about 7 or 8 rounds, but again, that was another fight where Oscar was 3 rounds down before the first bell, because his mental lapses. Dude just thought waaay too hard about fights.

Lol at the Canelo joke, I take it that you read my sig.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 22 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 22 2012, 05:59 PM) *
You have me watching the Hopkins/DLH fight now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'll get back with you on the liver shot.

I hate the Falcons fans, and those bastards are playing tonight. As for the Mayweather/DLH fight, he did win about 7 or 8 rounds, but again, that was another fight where Oscar was 3 rounds down before the first bell, because his mental lapses. Dude just thought waaay too hard about fights.

Lol at the Canelo joke, I take it that you read my sig.

The worse fans in this planet are the Eagles. Falcon fans actually think they are going to the Superbowl this is a boxing site so I will keep on topic. The liver shot was painful to watch and reminded of what happen to Hatton in his comeback fight. It just was awful to look at. The look on Oscar's face was classic! Yeah I was looking at your sig. I mean hey if Manny can jump a million weight classes I am sure The Filipino Flab (guy is flabby on all sides) Doniare can too. The guy has no muscle at all. He looks flabby in all his fights I hope Mares knocks his head off.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 23 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I like Oscar he was a solid boxer a great olympian awesome for boxing. I think he's short of being great boxing wise but popularity wise he's just as great as anyone who's laced up gloves, he was bigger than manny and mat in his time and he was a "playboy".

Only thing I wish he would have gotten was that Trinidad W, if that would have gone the right way theirs no telling how much more popular he would have been. Mexicans would have loved him for that

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 23 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 23 2012, 12:47 AM) *
I like Oscar he was a solid boxer a great olympian awesome for boxing. I think he's short of being great boxing wise but popularity wise he's just as great as anyone who's laced up gloves, he was bigger than manny and mat in his time and he was a "playboy".

Only thing I wish he would have gotten was that Trinidad W, if that would have gone the right way theirs no telling how much more popular he would have been. Mexicans would have loved him for that

Mexicans especially Mexican Americans love Oscar, still to this day they love Oscar. I remember when Oscar was hyping up Victor Ortiz during the promotion for Mayweather and Ortiz, when Floyd said he already beat Oscar's ass the crowd immediately turned on Floyd! It was great. Let me reiterate, I think Oscar is a good fighter with an amazing following, like that hater Merchant said "Floyd craves for Oscar's fame and Oscar craves for Floyd's skill" or something to that affect. Oscar only lost six matches but those matches were against great opponents, in their prime. he just could get that big win. I was happy he beat Fernando Vargas simply because I got tired of Vargas referring to himself as the Aztec warrior.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 11:20 PM