BigG
post May 15 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #31

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Mino @ May 16 2009, 01:25 AM) *
Saigon is ok, but pls dont ever mention him and Nas in the same sentence again

(IMG:http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Executioner1989/lol.gif) You're right.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mino
post May 19 2009, 06:49 AM
Post #32

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,709

QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ May 15 2009, 10:01 PM) *

No doubt, Saigon is aight, but with Nas u know ur talkin possibly the G.O.A.T

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post May 19 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #33

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE (snoopnick @ May 2 2009, 01:07 AM) *
Here's how I view Tupac.

Tupac was what you could call a contemporary Malcolm X, the next leader in a modern day civil rights movement. Most of you may laugh at the comparison, but you have to take into consideration how fragmented the US black population has become after a long history AFTER the Black Panthers of drugs, guns and gangs. With hip-hop/rap music being a common unifier amongst the black community, Tupac was the closest thing to bring them together.

His rumored attempt at faking his death was modeled after the Italian philosopher Niccolò Machiavelli, hence Pac's moniker, "Makaveli", who advocated faking one's death in order to fool one's enemy, which IMO, Pac viewed as the US government. Also, it's said that he had taken out a 7 million dollar insurance policy on his life months before his death which his mother, Afeni Shakur, is said to have received. In fact, Pac's bookshelf at the time of his death was full of, not only revolutionary text, but of complex thinking in general. If you actually listen to the ENTIRETY of his songs, you will see that many of his songs were socially conscious, often depicting the ill conditions of the US ghetto and encouraging people to come together against a common issue. Being that he was very influential amongst the youth of ALL races and had the ideas, but more importantly the POTENTIAL of changing things, he was viewed as a problem by many.

Now all that West Coast/East Coast bullshit was a media creation made to sell records, but I'll be the first to admit that Pac got himself caught up in the hype. Maybe it was real. Maybe it wasn't.

Do I think he's still alive? No. Do I think his death was a government conspiracy, possibly, but not likely. What I think was more likely was that Suge Knight killed him for wanting to leave Death Row records. Suge was a shady muthafucka.

The point is a lot of people seem to make brash comments like, "he deserved what he got" or "he was nothing but a street thug", when they seem to know very little about him.

Wow, a rapper who read machiavelli. Now he's on par with every high schooler in the country.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post May 20 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #34

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

The greatest rapper of all time was, is, and always will be Rakim Allah.

Close seconds IMO would have to be Big Daddy Kane and KRS One. Kool G Rap's another one not far behind.

Ice Cube was a ferocious lyricist in the early N.W.A. days.

Some of my personal favorite hip-hop albums of all-time would be, in no particular order:

"Paid in Full" Eric B + Rakim
"The Infamous" Mobb Deep
"Only Built For Cuban Lynx" Raekwon
"Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" Wu-Tang Clan
"Whut? Thee Album" Redman
"AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted" Ice Cube
"No One Can Do it Better" The D.O.C.
"It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" Public Enemy
"The Low End Theory" A Tribe Called Quest
"Aquemini" Outkast

I'm sure there's more.

I stopped listening to rap sometime in the late 90's, early 2000's. It's just real hard for anyone to come out with anything new and original anymore. And I fucking hate all the jewelry, money, bitches, blah blah blah.

New School sucks. Same reason I hate Floyd Mayweather Jr. I still love the old stuff as much as I ever did, but for me rap is more or less dead.

I've bought a few CD's over the past few years that I've liked.

"The Black Album" Jay Z (also liked "The Gray Album" that Dangermouse did)
"Hell Hath No Fury" Clipse
"Bake Sale" The Cool Kids

Mostly I'm done with it though.

+Quote Post
Mino
post May 20 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #35

Lightweight

QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 20 2009, 01:25 PM) *
The greatest rapper of all time was, is, and always will be Rakim Allah.

Close seconds IMO would have to be Big Daddy Kane and KRS One. Kool G Rap's another one not far behind.

Ice Cube was a ferocious lyricist in the early N.W.A. days.

Some of my personal favorite hip-hop albums of all-time would be, in no particular order:

"Paid in Full" Eric B + Rakim
"The Infamous" Mobb Deep
"Only Built For Cuban Lynx" Raekwon
"Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" Wu-Tang Clan
"Whut? Thee Album" Redman
"AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted" Ice Cube
"No One Can Do it Better" The D.O.C.
"It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" Public Enemy
"The Low End Theory" A Tribe Called Quest
"Aquemini" Outkast

I'm sure there's more.

I stopped listening to rap sometime in the late 90's, early 2000's. It's just real hard for anyone to come out with anything new and original anymore. And I fucking hate all the jewelry, money, bitches, blah blah blah.

New School sucks. Same reason I hate Floyd Mayweather Jr. I still love the old stuff as much as I ever did, but for me rap is more or less dead.

I've bought a few CD's over the past few years that I've liked.

"The Black Album" Jay Z (also liked "The Gray Album" that Dangermouse did)
"Hell Hath No Fury" Clipse
"Bake Sale" The Cool Kids

Mostly I'm done with it though.

You most def have some all time great albums listed, but is there a reason Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, and Ready to Die are not listed?? Hope just an oversight cuz those are three of the all time best ever made

+Quote Post
Snoop
post May 20 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #36

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ May 20 2009, 01:34 AM) *
Wow, a rapper who read machiavelli. Now he's on par with every high schooler in the country.

Gramsci, Nietzsche, Fanon, along with many other complex text were also found on his bookshelf.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post May 21 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #37

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE (snoopnick @ May 20 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Gramsci, Nietzsche, Fanon, along with many other complex text were also found on his bookshelf.

Now he's escalated to an undergrad, go state! First rapper to read existentialism, how novel. Tupac, college freshman and savior of the masses, its such a shame we don't have his leadership anymore. Him and bigs could have ran for office one day under the ' death row ' party, it would have been special

+Quote Post
Snoop
post May 21 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #38

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ May 21 2009, 02:49 PM) *
Now he's escalated to an undergrad, go state! First rapper to read existentialism, how novel. Tupac, college freshman and savior of the masses, its such a shame we don't have his leadership anymore. Him and bigs could have ran for office one day under the ' death row ' party, it would have been special

I don't understand why you think it's unbelievable he could have been a leader for the masses. Malcolm X never finished high school and was self-educated in the state correctional facility. And disagree with the fact as much as you want, but hip-hop music, then and now, has an incredible grip on the youth. Have you ever actually listened to his music? My guess is 'no' since you're unaware of the fact he was trying to leave Death Row at the time of his murder. My point is that people here seem jump to ridiculous conclusions based on not liking rap or his image, without knowing anything about the man, and when anything else proves the contrary of him being a ruthless, uneducated thug rapper, they refuse to listen.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post May 21 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #39

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (Mino @ May 20 2009, 03:44 PM) *
You most def have some all time great albums listed, but is there a reason Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, and Ready to Die are not listed?? Hope just an oversight cuz those are three of the all time best ever made

No I loved those albums too just figured everyone always mentions them. Same with The Chronic for example. And while I thought Illmatic was definitely great, I always prefered Whut? for a solo debut, though that never really got the same hype.

+Quote Post
Mino
post May 21 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #40

Lightweight

QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 21 2009, 11:28 AM) *
No I loved those albums too just figured everyone always mentions them. Same with The Chronic for example. And while I thought Illmatic was definitely great, I always prefered Whut? for a solo debut, though that never really got the same hype.

Whut? Was, is a great album just pulled it out the archives the other day, but Illmatic is in a league of its own...personal choice I guess

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 03:59 PM