Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miguel Cotto, Time to call it quits?
mgrover
post Apr 2 2013, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

He still has his health, he has his family, does Cotto have anything left to prove? I personally would rather he retires young and lives long. Maybe one more fight to cash out but that's it then. People would say he could be a fight for Lara/Vanes/Angulo/Rosado(maybe) But they should be fighting each other.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Apr 2 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 10:54 AM) *
He still has his health, he has his family, does Cotto have anything left to prove? I personally would rather he retires young and lives long. Maybe one more fight to cash out but that's it then. People would say he could be a fight for Lara/Vanes/Angulo/Rosado(maybe) But they should be fighting each other.

Let him fight Canelo as his last big payday then retire.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Apr 2 2013, 11:23 AM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 09:54 AM) *

No, he has nothing left to prove---he is a true warrior who never ducked or dodged anyone and should he decide to ride off into the sunset without facing Canelo then that is not a problem in my book.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 2 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 10:54 AM) *

Sadly, he didn't make the most of his free agency, by facing Trout.

That Trout fight did him no favors, now, if he so decides to fight again for big money, it wont necessarily be on his terms. He'll more than likely do himself a favor by taking a tune-up fight, just to prepare himself for a big fight.

Had he and his team chosen someone like Bundrage, rather than Trout, he could've at least been sitting on a title right now, and in a position to make more demands. Cotto's still a big name, but he'll now have to deal with the nonsense of Golden Boy, if Canelo happens to beat Trout.

Cotto should've waited for Trout and Canelo to fight, then fought the winner. His team did it backwards by trying to prove to "the people" (aka stupid fans) that he'll fight whoever. So what if Trout beats Canelo this month, then what? Is Miguel gonna fight Trout again, in a fight that he decisively lost the first time?

If you're at this point of your career where your name is big, you're a free agent, you can call the shots, and cherry pick for big money fights...you dont take stupid fights like a Trout fight. He had Golden Boy by the nuts with his free agency, and was in the position to tell them to "fuck off", had they made him a weak offer for a Canelo fight. NOW, GBP can give Cotto the whole, "you just lost your last two fights" nonsense.

Unfortunately, when it comes to this ginger kid, Golden Boy gets stupid and forgets the rules. Yes, Canelo is becoming a decent draw (or can be considered one in the eyes of the fans), but that doesn't mean that he deserves anywhere near the lion's share of a purse in a high profile fight, until he BEATS a fighter with a name and drawing power.

A Canelo fight is still hanging out there for Cotto, he just has to wait now, and hope that Canelo beats Trout.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 2 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I tried to tell everyone that the only person he impressed by fighting Trout was boxing purist and avid followers like us. Normally, you want to see guys take on tough, under the radar challenges like this but let's be frank. That was a bad business decision.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 2 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Cotto should retire, he fought the best of this era when available and came big but ultimately short. He made some bad business decisions lately, like when deciding to face Trout right away. He's lost some of his position in rank, and there's no one left worth the money. The best he can do now is end his career on a winning note with one or two more fights, but there's nothing more for him.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Apr 2 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 2 2013, 12:14 PM) *
Sadly, he didn't make the most of his free agency, by facing Trout.

That Trout fight did him no favors, now, if he so decides to fight again for big money, it wont necessarily be on his terms. He'll more than likely do himself a favor by taking a tune-up fight, just to prepare himself for a big fight.

Had he and his team chosen someone like Bundrage, rather than Trout, he could've at least been sitting on a title right now, and in a position to make more demands. Cotto's still a big name, but he'll now have to deal with the nonsense of Golden Boy, if Canelo happens to beat Trout.

Cotto should've waited for Trout and Canelo to fight, then fought the winner. His team did it backwards by trying to prove to "the people" (aka stupid fans) that he'll fight whoever. So what if Trout beats Canelo this month, then what? Is Miguel gonna fight Trout again, in a fight that he decisively lost the first time?

If you're at this point of your career where your name is big, you're a free agent, you can call the shots, and cherry pick for big money fights...you dont take stupid fights like a Trout fight. He had Golden Boy by the nuts with his free agency, and was in the position to tell them to "fuck off", had they made him a weak offer for a Canelo fight. NOW, GBP can give Cotto the whole, "you just lost your last two fights" nonsense.

Unfortunately, when it comes to this ginger kid, Golden Boy gets stupid and forgets the rules. Yes, Canelo is becoming a decent draw (or can be considered one in the eyes of the fans), but that doesn't mean that he deserves anywhere near the lion's share of a purse in a high profile fight, until he BEATS a fighter with a name and drawing power.

A Canelo fight is still hanging out there for Cotto, he just has to wait now, and hope that Canelo beats Trout.

Yes, I agree with all you stated but then again what would've happened to him had he faced Bundrage and lost?? He would've more than likely been written off and never would've gotten the Floyd or Trout fight. It will not be a big deal for Cotto to have a loss to Trout (especially if he beats Canelo) and especially not to Mayweather (since he's the best in the world), he should still be able to fight the likes of Bundrage (especially now with his loss) or he'd be smarter to go after Ishe and get that title which puts him right back into contention again and maybe even a rematch with Trout (should he lose to Alvarez).

Considering the amount of money Miguel made facing Floyd and then Trout then I'd say he didn't do a bad job of managing himself into those big money making bouts despite the fact that he lost to both of them.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Apr 2 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

I have no problem witha guy with Cotto's resume retiring right now. Thats always gonna be up to him. He should ponder going back to 147 becasue I think he wins many of those fights against the top guys there. Marquez is there. Bradley is there. Lopez, Berto, Alexander, Brook and the Great Keith Thurman are there waiting for Miguel Cotto to step down to WW. At 54, his options are pretty much Ishe Smith and Alvarez. He's not gonna beat any of the top guys like Trout, Lara, Molina or anyone of that calibur.

This post has been edited by The Original MrFactor: Apr 2 2013, 04:57 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 2 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 2 2013, 09:54 AM) *

at this point...i think all the guys u named beat him. i'd like to see him pick a few big fights to go out on...but guys in his age bracket, size and skill level. if he can get a big win or two...maybe the mayweather rematch as a send off. he's paid his dues and deserves the right to pick and choose his opposition.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 2 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 2 2013, 11:18 PM) *
at this point...i think all the guys u named beat him. i'd like to see him pick a few big fights to go out on...but guys in his age bracket, size and skill level. if he can get a big win or two...maybe the mayweather rematch as a send off. he's paid his dues and deserves the right to pick and choose his opposition.

he needs to fight small Jr Middleweights cause that's what he is really. If weigh ins were on the same days fighters can't rehydrate as much and will in turn learn to fighting in there own goddamn weight class

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 12:11 PM