Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tale of two press conferences
Allmenjoi8
post Feb 28 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

Having watched both Mayweather/Cotto and Pacquiao/Bradley press conferences the differences in the two is telling. While Bradley is smiling and giggling with Pacquiao reminded me of Shane Mosley and viewers saw how that fight went. Pacquiao is taking pictures of Bradley and the two couldn't keep a straight face during the stare down. Way to sell tickets. On the other side you have the Mayweather/Cotto press conference. All business. There was some tension between the two and the stare down was cool. There was no hugging and laughing, there was mutual respect but that is where it ended. That is how you sell a fight.

My question: How can fans take these press tours? I lost futher interest with Pac and Bradley. If history teaches us anything the Pac/Bradley fight may be like the Shane and Pacquiao fight. Bradley has been a trash talker throughout his unknown career, why is he changing who he is? I guess Pacquaio is playing mind games. Yes I will be nice to you and pretend we are buddies but 9 June I am kicking your ass. Notice Juan Manuel did not play that nice guy role with Pac and that fight turned into a great robbery.

Mayweather/Cotto presser all business. They said their peace and went on. Ortiz Mayweather went similar. There was a sense of respect until Ortiz started feeling himself which was great. I thought Ortiz had a shot until the bell rung. If these press conferences have proven anything from my perspective and a would be paying PPV customer, I would be wary of Pac/Bradley fight than I would be of Mayweather/Cotto. Cotto seems hungry and fired up while Bradley is just happy to be there.

This post has been edited by Allmenjoi8: Feb 28 2012, 02:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Feb 28 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Feb 28 2012, 10:26 AM) *
Having watched both Mayweather/Cotto and Pacquiao/Bradley press conferences the differences in the two is telling. While Bradley is smiling and giggling with Pacquiao reminded me of Shane Mosley and viewers saw how that fight went. Pacquiao is taking pictures of Bradley and the two couldn't keep a straight face during the stare down. Way to sell tickets. On the other side you have the Mayweather/Cotto press conference. All business. There was some tension between the two and the stare down was cool. There was no hugging and laughing, there was mutual respect but that is where it ended. That is how you sell a fight.

My question: How can fans take these press tours? I really further lost interest with Pac and Bradley. If history teaches us anything the Pac/Bradley fight may be like the Shane and Pacquiao fight. Bradley has been a trash talker throughout his unknown career, why is he changing who he is? I guess Pacquaio is playing mind games. Yes I will be nice to you and pretend we are buddies but 9 June are kicking your ass. Notice Juan Manuel did not play that nice guy role with Pac and that fight turned into a great robbery.

Mayweather/Cotto presser all business. They said their peace and went on. Ortiz Mayweather went similar. Their was a sense of respect until Ortiz started feeling himself which was great. I thought Ortiz had a shot until the bell rung. If these press conferences has proven anything from my perspective and a would be paying PPV customer I would be wary of Pac/Bradley fight than I would be of Mayweather/Cotto. Cotto seems hungry and fired up while Bradley is just happy to be there.

Can't help but agree here. Pac/Bradley is showing all the signs of Pac/Mosley. All we need is Joel Diaz to call Pacquiao a Rubix cube and talk about how great both fighters are. Unless some big time fight gets thrown on the undercard last minute, no way Im buying this

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 28 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

like ive stated before, the only reason am watching this is to see were pacmans at, and if bradley can compete at welterweight.

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Feb 28 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,413

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Feb 28 2012, 10:26 AM) *

My question: How can fans take these press tours? I lost futher interest with Pac and Bradley. If history teaches us anything the Pac/Bradley fight may be like the Shane and Pacquiao fight. Bradley has been a trash talker throughout his unknown career, why is he changing who he is? I guess Pacquaio is playing mind games. Yes I will be nice to you and pretend we are buddies but 9 June I am kicking your ass. Notice Juan Manuel did not play that nice guy role with Pac and that fight turned into a great robbery.

Mayweather/Cotto presser all business. They said their peace and went on. Ortiz Mayweather went similar. There was a sense of respect until Ortiz started feeling himself which was great. I thought Ortiz had a shot until the bell rung. If these press conferences have proven anything from my perspective and a would be paying PPV customer, I would be wary of Pac/Bradley fight than I would be of Mayweather/Cotto. Cotto seems hungry and fired up while Bradley is just happy to be there.

Well said.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 28 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Just because they are all laughing, hugging, and such, at the pressers...doesn't mean that they wont give us a fight on June 9th. You bring up the Mosley fight, as if Shane planned for the fight to go that way.

Im sure all of these guys have an idea as to how the fight will go, until things get real in the ring. If Im not mistaken, Manny was trying his best to knock Shane out, so how does the "friendship" in the pressers, have such an effect on the fight? That isn't always the case, so "history" hasn't shown us much.

Just because Mayweather and Cotto appeared serious at the pressers, doesn't necessarily mean that the fight will be a barn burner. I mean seriously, I dont EVER remember Mayweather being friendly to anyone at a press conference...if anything, nowadays he is just more kicked back.

Same goes for Cotto, he always has a serious face when in public, and he may happen to crack a smile. So again, do their "business look" for the presser mean much? If push comes to shove, causal fans (which you need to keep in mind) will order Manny's fight, just because he's fighting, period. The curiosity of knowing how he will perform, will also make them buy it, just as will do for Mayweather.

Trust me, these two fights are nothing more than measuring sticks used for comaprison purposes, just for them to make a prediction on who will win a fight that will probably never happen.

Cotto seems hungry and fired up because he's more than likely staring about $30M in the face, and Bradley is happy to be there because he is seeing money that he's never saw before, along with the exposure. So the whole, "that's how you sell a fight" idea, at best, could be considered null and void.

I agree, the press conference love is getting annoying, but people love Manny...especially when he's just in this oh-so-great mood. It's even better when he treats his opponent like a human being instead of a punching bag, since the new Manny "doesn't like hurting people anymore"...which people have paid to see him do all of these years. Irony aint it?

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 28 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2012, 03:58 PM) *
Just because they are all laughing, hugging, and such, at the pressers...doesn't mean that they wont give us a fight on June 9th. You bring up the Mosley fight, as if Shane planned for the fight to go that way.

+1

I was thinking the same thing....history has taught us that smiling, laughing, etc.= a shitty fight? If we're using that model, then Wlad vs. Haye should've been the Hatfields vs. the McCoys, b/c there wasn't NO SMILING going on there. <---- We all know that was a "skunk" weed of a fight.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Feb 28 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2012, 02:58 PM) *

Im sure all of these guys have an idea as to how the fight will go, until things get real in the ring. If Im not mistaken, Manny was trying his best to knock Shane out, so how does the "friendship" in the pressers, have such an effect on the fight? That isn't always the case, so "history" hasn't shown us much.

Just because Mayweather and Cotto appeared serious at the pressers, doesn't necessarily mean that the fight will be a barn burner. I mean seriously, I dont EVER remember Mayweather being friendly to anyone at a press conference...if anything, nowadays he is just more kicked back.

Same goes for Cotto, he always has a serious face when in public, and he may happen to crack a smile. So again, do their "business look" for the presser mean much? If push comes to shove, causal fans (which you need to keep in mind) will order Manny's fight, just because he's fighting, period. The curiosity of knowing how he will perform, will also make them buy it, just as will do for Mayweather.

Trust me, these two fights are nothing more than measuring sticks used for comaprison purposes, just for them to make a prediction on who will win a fight that will probably never happen.

Cotto seems hungry and fired up because he's more than likely staring about $30M in the face, and Bradley is happy to be there because he is seeing money that he's never saw before, along with the exposure. So the whole, "that's how you sell a fight" idea, at best, could be considered null and void.

I agree, the press conference love is getting annoying, but people love Manny...especially when he's just in this oh-so-great mood. It's even better when he treats his opponent like a human being instead of a punching bag, since the new Manny "doesn't like hurting people anymore"...which people have paid to see him do all of these years. Irony aint it?

Yea but it doesn't at least slightly alarm you that Bradley's behavior is strikingly similar to Shane's? Especially given the fact that thus far in his career, he'd been a huge shit talker. I mean I've gone as far as accused him of starting this trend of unwarranted callouts after fights. Now, he's super nice. Tryna hug and shit.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Feb 28 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

It matters. Juan Manuel was not playing. There was no smiling and letting Pac take pictures of him. Bradley is a trash talker. That is what he has done in the past, didn't do that this presser. He talked about Devon leading up to their fight like a dog. All of a sudden he is tamed?

The Shane Mosley fight pissed me off beyond mention and I didn't even pay for it. very round they are smiling at each other and touching gloves. Weak! Mosley thought that behavior was cool because they were like that the entire lead up to the fight. Notice Mayweather when he fought Shane was not having it. Matter of fact Mayweather popped Mosley for trying to touch gloves in one of the later rounds.

It matters. In today's presser Mayweather/Cotto NYC Apollo) the stare down was great, they shook hands and left. There was no hugging and laughing and joking. This fight my suck to high heaven but at least if I buy this fight or go I will not feel as if I am wasting money. Bradley and Pac I will take the replay. Bradley is already talking about when he was a kid he was going to be the guy to beat Mayweather and Pacquiao is saying Mayweather shouldn't take Cotto lightly. THese two cats are not even talking about the other. Their fight isn't gaining interest. Another thing why are they plugging their fight so early?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 28 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 28 2012, 03:43 PM) *
Yea but it doesn't at least slightly alarm you that Bradley's behavior is strikingly similar to Shane's? Especially given the fact that thus far in his career, he'd been a huge shit talker. I mean I've gone as far as accused him of starting this trend of unwarranted callouts after fights. Now, he's super nice. Tryna hug and shit.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You did mention that Bradley trend a while back. I dont think Bradley will do what Shane did though. Timmy could possibly have another big payday sometime in the future, unlike Shane, who was looking at his last big one, hence why he was so "appreciative" of the gesture during the build up.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 28 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Feb 28 2012, 03:50 PM) *
It matters. Juan Manuel was not playing. There was no smiling and letting Pac take pictures of him. Bradley is a trash talker. That is what he has done in the past, didn't do that this presser. He talked about Devon leading up to their fight like a dog. All of a sudden he is tamed?

The Shane Mosley fight pissed me off beyond mention and I didn't even pay for it. very round they are smiling at each other and touching gloves. Weak! Mosley thought that behavior was cool because they were like that the entire lead up to the fight. Notice Mayweather when he fought Shane was not having it. Matter of fact Mayweather popped Mosley for trying to touch gloves in one of the later rounds.

It matters. In today's presser Mayweather/Cotto NYC Apollo) the stare down was great, they shook hands and left. There was no hugging and laughing and joking. This fight my suck to high heaven but at least if I buy this fight or go I will not feel as if I am wasting money. Bradley and Pac I will take the replay. Bradley is already talking about when he was a kid he was going to be the guy to beat Mayweather and Pacquiao is saying Mayweather shouldn't take Cotto lightly. THese two cats are not even talking about the other. Their fight isn't gaining interest. Another thing why are they plugging their fight so early?

Fuck...I forgot who I was talking to. Your history here shows us that your boxing knowledge is limited, to say the least. How is that weak of Shane to constantly touch gloves, when he's done it for his whole career?

JMM had a chip on his shoulder for the last two fights anyway, so he had no reason to be nice to Manny. Besides, he knew what he was up against, as far as the megafight, so he knew his chances of winning on the cards going into the fight. It is a bit true that Manny has had the hardest time with guys who aren't being nice to him, but still, that's not always the case with every other fight.

Do us a favor and save us the agony of you covering up the fact that you're a nutthugger, and you had no plans on watching the June 9th fight to begin with. They are starting the tours on time, as they always do. Remember Mayweather/Ortiz? Didn't they start the pressers months before the fight? FYI, TR does put together decent cards, but you wouldn't know that anyway. Again, I forgot who I was talking to...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:21 AM