IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evander Holyfield vs George Foreman, In their primes..
PR316
post Jun 27 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Personally I think a young George knocks him out in the middle rounds. Old George hurt Holy a few times in their 91 fight. Enough for me to think a young George does a serious job on him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jun 27 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #2

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

Young George was not as good of a fighter as older George..Archie Moore helped him a lot in his comeback..Younger George would have been put down by some of the shots Holy dished out but all the extra weight kept him on his feet..Young George was around 220..There wouldn't be a very big size difference like there was..

In my honest opinion,older George would of been a better guy to have faced Ali than the younger George..His mentality was different and he was a lot smarter in the ring in his comeback..

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jun 30 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

I don't know.

Evander liked to brawl. And the fact that back then George was such an intimidating fighter and how he had KO'd the likes of Frazier and Norton so brutally, Holy would have had alot of people within the press, fanbase, etc. telling him he couldn't do it. All that would be enough to motivate him to go out there and slug with the bigger and stronger guy. Evander was competitive.

Problem is, that George was a finisher when he had you hurt. And Evander had a tendency to fight dumb fights(Cooper and Bowe I come to mind). If he gets caught the way he did against either of those guys, he's not going to survive IMO. Not with the absolutely BRUTAL punches that Foreman threw. And I don't think Holyfield has the patience to pull a rope a dope.

I think its a competitive bout, don't get me wrong. But George was just so lethal back then.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 1 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #4

The Savage

George was lethal but Holy has a better chin than Norton and Frazier..Holy took everything Foreman had in their fight and he weighed like 50+ lbs more than him..If Foreman was only 10 lbs more than Holy,I think Holy would have been able to put Foreman down..Foreman had those 50+ lbs to keep him on his feet in their fight..Foreman also admitted that Holy hit him with the hardest left hook he'd ever been hit with..

Do I think Foreman then could have beaten Holy??Yes..Yet,Foreman never would be able to keep up with the pace Holy would set so he may get tired real quick and get KO'd himself..

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 1 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #5

The Savage

Also,keep making these kinda match ups dude..When I was makin these match ups it seemed like no one cared besides Stevenski..The others who would post on em would just put the fighters name and have no back up to why..Keep it up man..Good job..

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jul 1 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

The question is... Didnt they already fight in their primes?? I think the "old" Foreman was the better of the two Foreman's. So I think the older guy was the prime guy...Old George was a much more patient fighter, than is younger self. He was a very effective boxer as an older fighter. Much higher ring IQ too. So I'd say that they already fought and Holy won...

A persons age doesnt signify their prime. Prime is about being the best a fighter has been, no matter the age. Tysons prime is the best example. Tyson was in his prime around 20 or 21. Lennox Lewis, on the other hand, hit his prime around 32. Its a period in a fighters career when their body and mind are at their peak...

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 1 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #7

The Savage

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 1 2009, 09:39 PM) *
The question is... Didnt they already fight in their primes?? I think the "old" Foreman was the better of the two Foreman's. So I think the older guy was the prime guy...Old George was a much more patient fighter, than is younger self. He was a very effective boxer as an older fighter. Much higher ring IQ too. So I'd say that they already fought and Holy won...

A persons age doesnt signify their prime. Prime is about being the best a fighter has been, no matter the age. Tysons prime is the best example. Tyson was in his prime around 20 or 21. Lennox Lewis, on the other hand, hit his prime around 32. Its a period in a fighters career when their body and mind are at their peak...

I agree with you MrFactor..I also think old George was the better of the 2..You make very good points..

Like I said,Holy took Foreman's best punches weighing about 40 lbs or more heavier then the young Foreman..If they had fought when Foreman was younger,the chance of him being KO'd would be increased by a lot in my opinion because he wouldn't have all that extra weight and muscle in his neck and legs..Yeah,he looked fat but he had a lot of muscle under it..

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 4 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 2 2009, 02:23 AM) *
Also,keep making these kinda match ups dude..When I was makin these match ups it seemed like no one cared besides Stevenski..The others who would post on em would just put the fighters name and have no back up to why..Keep it up man..Good job..

Thanks bro. But you know, the 3 of us could do it. You, me, and Stevenski. The others will probably get more interested if we get on this.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 4 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 2 2009, 02:39 AM) *

You make an interesting argument with George's prime and stuff. I admit I never thought of it that way.

Its just that while Holyfield did have a good chin lets not forget that he was hurt badly against Bowe and Bert Cooper as well. Put down by both guys if I recall correctly. Nearly out.

I just picture a younger George getting him in that position, and the killer he was, I can see him putting him away.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 5 2009, 02:30 AM
Post #10

The Savage

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 4 2009, 03:07 PM) *
You make an interesting argument with George's prime and stuff. I admit I never thought of it that way.

Its just that while Holyfield did have a good chin lets not forget that he was hurt badly against Bowe and Bert Cooper as well. Put down by both guys if I recall correctly. Nearly out.

I just picture a younger George getting him in that position, and the killer he was, I can see him putting him away.

Holy was hurt by Bowe really bad and fell into the ropes from a Cooper punch that was ruled a knock down..Bowe hit Holy with so many punches before he was able to put him down though,any other guy would have died from all those punches from a guy like Bowe..

I've always said on here Foreman was way better in his comeback and I've considered it his prime..Foreman wouldn't of been able to bully Holy like he did with other guys back in the day since Holy cannot be bullied..If it were an inside fight,I'd see Holy rippin the shit outta a young Foreman..A 100% Holy had insane stamina and Foreman didn't have good stamina..He would wear himself out from throwing so many bombs..Foreman also threw wide shots back then on the inside and Holy has one of the sharpest left hooks on the inside I've ever seen..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:15 PM