> I Love Wanderlei Silva
BigG
post Feb 25 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #1

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Good win over Bisping...

He is simply the MMA's version of Iron Mike Tyson....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Feb 25 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #2

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

Good win but somewhat controvertial if you turn down the volume & watch it.

I had Wand winning when watching it live (he got the biggest pop of the day) & also watching the replay on TV but found this a interesting take on round 2.

Whilst you can clearly give round one to Bisping and round three to Silva, the whole fight hinges on what turned out to be a very interesting second round between the pair. The two big moments in the round went to Silva (sweeping the leg from under the Brit and locking up the guillotine) but apart from that it was all Bisping, scoring with two well timed takedowns and a number of crisp punches which left Silva’s face a mess by the end of the round.

I can see how you could score round 2 to Bisping but does getting someone in a tight guillotine & having them dead to rights when the bell rings cancel out their effective work for the rest of the round? Is that guillotine like a brutal knockdown where you can be doing everything right winning the round but getting you dropped at teh end means you lose the round?

Interesting

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Feb 25 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 25 2010, 03:55 AM) *
I can see how you could score round 2 to Bisping but does getting someone in a tight guillotine & having them dead to rights when the bell rings cancel out their effective work for the rest of the round? Is that guillotine like a brutal knockdown where you can be doing everything right winning the round but getting you dropped at teh end means you lose the round?

Getting takedowns mean nothing if you aren't able to do anything with it, or to keep your opponent down. Bisping, for the most part, was able to do nothing with Silva once he'd taken him down. I think judges in the U.S., who were mostly boxing judges and had no real MMA experience, are starting to realize that fact too.

For too long we've had judges that didn't know what they were watching just sit there and award points for takedowns. That's not right. I remember one of the higher-ups in Pride (a trainer to boot, but I can't remember his damn name!) actually came to the broadcast booth and explained the scoring process.

1.) Takedowns are scored, but so are transitions (to side mount, full mount, etc...); but the alternative is, getting back to your feet after being taken down is also scored equally. After all what's the point of getting a takedown? To submit your opponent or pound him out. If you fail to do that, in the end, what have you done but fail? The takedown itself is worth nothing.

*Stuffing takedowns are scored.

2.) Submission attempts themselves are scored, and again, so are the escapes. Being saved by the bell does not equal an escape.

3.) Close rounds are often scored in favor of the aggressor, or the fighter who appears to be trying to finish the fight; not the fighter who is trying to stay alive or win a decision.

The fourth and final thing, which has no relevance to the UFC, is that fights were scored as a whole, not round by round. This prevented the Lyoto Machidas and Michael Bispings of the world from trying to dance around Floyd Mayweather-style for 3-5 rounds in an effort to do nothing but stay alive and win a decision. If you were in trouble in the last roud, and it was painfully obvious you were going to be stopped had the fight continued, it was a major mark against you in regards to a decision.

So, again, I think you can kind of see that the judges in Austrailia, and America, and other places, are slowly but surely starting to get a handle on how to score an MMA fight properly. Hopefully, in the future, that will help us to avoid farces like Machida/Rua, and Silva/Franklin.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:24 AM