Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canelo...elilte?
Cshel86
post Jul 16 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

As we've been discussing the Canelo/Lara fight results, my question is, where does Canelo stand in the division?

Most have said that:

1. He's been protected, but finally stepped up (opponent wise) in his last 4 fights
2. His "step up" fights, have ended in controversy

My take was (mainly the Trout and Lara fights), if these guys were supposed to embarrass him, then why did the fights end controversially? Why wasn't Canelo put in his place as this "not so great" fighter, when these two guys that he fought, had all of the tools to prove that?

Marinate on that, while I reflect on an episode of FightHype Radio last year...there was a big debate about whether or not Canelo was "elite" at 154. Is he? If not, then who is??? Somebody's gotta hold the crown.

1. What are the requirements to be considered an "elite" fighter. (this question goes for every fighter NOT name Floyd Mayweather)
2. What does Canelo have to prove at 154?
3. What fight(s) will make him "elite" in the division? What's so special about that particular fighter(s), that will propel him to "elite" status?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jul 16 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 16 2014, 01:33 PM) *
As we've been discussing the Canelo/Lara fight results, my question is, where does Canelo stand in the division?

Most have said that:

1. He's been protected, but finally stepped up (opponent wise) in his last 4 fights
2. His "step up" fights, have ended in controversy

My take was (mainly the Trout and Lara fights), if these guys were supposed to embarrass him, then why did the fights end controversially? Why wasn't Canelo put in his place as this "not so great" fighter, when these two guys that he fought, had all of the tools to prove that?

Marinate on that, while I reflect on an episode of FightHype Radio last year...there was a big debate about whether or not Canelo was "elite" at 154. Is he? If not, then who is??? Somebody's gotta hold the crown.

1. What are the requirements to be considered an "elite" fighter. (this question goes for every fighter NOT name Floyd Mayweather)
2. What does Canelo have to prove at 154?
3. What fight(s) will make him "elite" in the division? What's so special about that particular fighter(s), that will propel him to "elite" status?

Yes Canelo is an Elite fighter, there should be no debate or doubt about that!! He has stepped up and competed well with the top names in his weight class, he's beaten the Dog, Trout and Lara. What more does anyone need him to do? Even though he lost to Floyd and in the eyes of some either split or lost to Lara, the fact of the matter is that despite the Floyd loss no other fighter has made him look terrible.

Floyd is just Floyd and makes everyone look bad so that shouldn't be a knock on Canelo.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Jul 16 2014, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

I think I am ready to say that Canelo is an Elite fighter. He still needs some work to really solidify himself as an elite but his recent opponents show he can handle some business. If anything, he is not affraid to fight tough guys in his division. So yeah, Canelo has passed the line in my book. Here's hoping he will continue doing his thing.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Jul 16 2014, 02:50 PM

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jul 16 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

He's very good and talented that's indisputable ..but similar to what you touched on his supposed crowning moments are clouded and controversial ....with the exception on his bouts with Moseley & angulo.
And being elite is simply showing superior skills & I.q. over your competition & peers.
Until he wins in dominating fashion over a B level or higher opponent he's not elite in my eyes

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jul 16 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jul 16 2014, 01:33 PM) *
He's very good and talented that's indisputable ..but similar to what you touched on his supposed crowning moments are clouded and controversial ....with the exception on his bouts with Moseley & angulo.
And being elite is simply showing superior skills & I.q. over your competition & peers.
Until he wins in dominating fashion over a B level or higher opponent he's not elite in my eyes

Well said completely agree. You on a roll AZ

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Jul 16 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jul 16 2014, 04:33 PM) *

I concur.. rematching and beating Lara emphatically would do it.. or be a step in that direction

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jul 16 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Nope, not until he dominates someone, or moves up to middleweight and does something special

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Jul 16 2014, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

I believe Canelo is an Elite Super Welterweight. If he were to beat a Cotto at this point, he would be an Elite Boxer in All of Boxing.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jul 16 2014, 08:59 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

It's unfair for someone to not call Canelo elite and here's why; Saul has taken on the best in his weight class and he's held his own pretty well when many people on this forum was saying how easily Lara was going to dominate him and whatnot. How is it that Lara is considered Elite but Canelo isn't? Lara is a great boxer, Trout was no slouch and El Perro faces all comers no matter who they are----Floyd goes without saying<<these are top fighters that Canelo has faced and not one of them has dropped him, totally outclassed him (other than Floyd).

That right there is what you call an Elite fighter, he has beaten some of the best in his class and wasn't made to look foolish vs the best in boxing; moving up in weight doesn't make you an elite fighter, nobody I know would dare to call Rigo a non elite fighter simply because he refuses to move up.

The same standard that applies to any of the other elites should apply to Canelo, dude has earned it when many of you was saying he was scared to face this guy and that guy, beating Cotto would only be a further confirmation of his elite status. If beating Cotto would make him an elite then it should've made Trout an elite as well.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Jul 16 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Cotto is elite, Pacquiao is elite, Marquez is elite. Can you really put Alvarez up there in the same class of these fighters? I don't think so, not yet, he hasn't dominated any top fighters or convincingly beat them.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 06:37 AM