IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> just peeked at the fightnews rankings, i think their ....
Cshel86
post Jan 23 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 23 2014, 03:47 PM) *
I recall some years ago we had talked about doing a rating system, but it never materialized. What I remembered was the issue of subjectivity. My view was and remains that ratings are too subjective where everything is going to have different views about them. That's why I never really put that much into Ring Magazine ratings, especially since Golden Boy bought out the magazine. This is because:

1.) They are little more than who is the most popular fighter among each weight class.
2.) According to Ring policy-and post if this has changed, you can never get stripped of a title for inactivity. That means you can sit on your ass with a Ring belt and never have to fight and still be a ring "World Champion."
3.) Ring cannot force fights to take place. There's no elimination, there's no round robin. Ring talks about trying to compete against the alphabet federations, but until the ten contenders are actually fighting each other in round robin elimination tournaments, or something, it's still just a set of ratings.
4.) I remember Vitali Klitschko was made Ring Champion off of the "Loss" to Lennox Lewis, or off the strength of his effort, or some shit like that. Yes, it was a war. Yes, it was a hell of a fight. BUT Vitali lost that fight on a TKO cut eye stoppage, in one of the worst cuts seen in years. Ring promoted Vitali for losing.
5.) Arturo Gatti was made a top contender in a Ring Rating because of HBO's popular pom-poming of him, despite that he had never fought in that rated division before.

Ring is good for general consensus of who the champions and contenders are, but the writers and ratings committee can't force fights to happen. Only the promoters, sanctioning bodies, and fighters themselves can do that. The point is that whether it's Ring Magazine, Fightnews, or even if we at Fighthype did a rating system, there's always going to be subjectivity in it, and the only way you can reduce that subjectivity as a fighter, writer, reporter, or boxing fan, is to have the fighters fight each other. If your fighter wins he goes up in ratings, loses he goes down, draws, he stays the same until his next fight. If the fighters aren't fighting each other in elimination matches, anybody's ratings just becomes a subjectivity list. That's why my confidence in a rating system is only lukewarm

Jack

On point Jack! I bet that you anonymously write hate letters to The Ring...hell, who wouldn't??? Lol

I may be way off here, but help me out. Does The Ring title make a fighter THE champion of that division...regardless of whether they hold the WBC, WBO, WBA, or IBF title? Or, does the WBC title mean that you're THE champ of the division (read: the recognized champ)???

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 23 2014, 03:59 PM) *
You'd have to be ashamed NOT to put him atop that list..

Smokin' Joe Cal..."the greatest of all time, that'll shock yo mind"!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 10:24 AM