IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPV: Chavez vs. Martinez@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT) SPOILERS (Topics Merged), (Rematch?)
mrchitown
post Sep 16 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #101

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Sep 15 2012, 11:59 PM) *
Lopez was seriously hurt several times in the fight, can't say the same about Chavez. Congrats to Sergio on the win, bit I think jr dropped the ball.

It was a good win, that's a career defining victory for Martinez. I don't think the proper adjustments would be made in a rematch, and some of that is Freddie's fault, he sucks at adjusting. He's a frontrunner, only good when his guy has a lead
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Sep 16 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #102

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 16 2012, 12:06 AM) *
It was a good win, that's a career defining victory for Martinez. I don't think the proper adjustments would be made in a rematch, and some of that is Freddie's fault, he sucks at adjusting. He's a frontrunner, only good when his guy has a lead

I can't really blame Roach for his guy not letting his hands go. The movement had chavez off balanced and confused.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Sep 16 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #103

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Sep 16 2012, 01:14 AM) *
I can't really blame Roach for his guy not letting his hands go. The movement had chavez off balanced and confused.

Which is what I saw for majority of the fight..

Chavez looked lost and was chasing Martinez the entire night.. trying to bull him to the ropes and unload..

Funny thing is Martinez didnt like that shit from the beginning.. the ropes belong to Chavez Jr and imo he's one of the best Ive seen when it come to punishment on the ropes...

Had Chavez worked behind a jab and moved forward and cut ol boy off.. he would have won this fight.. trying to outbox a boxer who is twice your speed is a lose lose..

+Quote Post
Musashi100
post Sep 16 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #104

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,711

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 15 2012, 11:51 PM) *
u think he would be comfortable at 168?

hell yeah he would be comfortable,he was at least 168 in this fight. he will be way more comfortable going up than going down i tell you that. one the reasons why him nor chavez wanted to step on the scale because they didn't want to expose there weight size.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 16 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #105

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Musashi100 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:39 AM) *
hell yeah he would be comfortable,he was at least 168 in this fight. he will be way more comfortable going up than going down i tell you that. one the reasons why him nor chavez wanted to step on the scale because they didn't want to expose there weight size.

1. he was probably more than that

2.i agree with that

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 16 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #106

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Sep 16 2012, 12:14 AM) *

Yep, and I said that Martinez was feinting, throwing and moving out of harm's way

My issue is if they have a rematch what adjustments is Roach going to make to enable a different outcome, this guy has used the same game plan in 3 fights for JMM and we saw how that turned out, he;s bad at making adjustments in clutch moments but JCC jr could've kept his belt if he would've at least threw something out there to make Sergio think something was coming behind it

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Sep 16 2012, 03:52 AM
Post #107

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

I havent seen the whole fight yet, just the 12th round and I gotta say, that was the first time I have ever seen Sergio seriously hurt. He got hit with some bombs that round, but I am glad he made it out of the round - not saying recovered, he was pretty out on his feet. Can't wait to actually see it.

By the way - You can't blame everything on Roach. People seem to bash him to harshly these days. Yes, he has some flaws, but for some things you have to blame the fighter as well.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Sep 16 2012, 04:02 AM
Post #108

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

Where's Richard Steel when you need him damit!!! lol...

My hat goes off to Sergio Martinez for reminding ME why he is top 3 P4P. I honestly was 1 of those who felt like Chavez Jr. would be to strong and to much for Maravilla, but of coarse, I had 2 wait up until the 12th round to see the strength. [side track] I was at a local lounge around my way watching the fight around a pro Julio crowd of folks whom, just like some of the fans there, started packing it in around the 9th - 10th round. The few that were Pro Martinez just watched, loving every moment of the fight and I SWEAR TO Y'ALL, 11 rounds after seeing how dominant Sergio was fighting, I had a flashback of Chavez-Taylor and my boy and I kept telling people " yo, the fight is not over, there's still 1 more round left, REMEMBER CHAVEZ-TAYLOR???". Everybody wanted to look at us like "put the drinks down" then BOOM, knock down (lol) just like i figured would happenn, but kudos to Martinez for acting like a true champion gettin back up to finish the fight. Great fight that showed alot of heart in both guys.

That being said, I know it was a dominant 11 round decision on Martinez's behalf, but I myself wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between the 2. I believe Chavez just needs a better gameplan than the one he went in with. We seen that he can atlease seriously hurt Martinez, and I know that Martinez is going to basically come in with the same gameplan that worked for him the whole fight soooo... Adjustment from Chavez is the key here pretty much. He's a beat former champ plus he's in his prime so he can get better.

Oh and apparently I'm not the only one, word is it could happen at Cowboys Stadium, you know, Texas!

So are you interested in seeing this rematch?

Is it deserved?

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Sep 16 2012, 04:23 AM

+Quote Post
sduck
post Sep 16 2012, 05:37 AM
Post #109

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

No

Chavez Jr. was completely outclassed for 11 rounds, only hit it big on the 12th because Sergio was tired and burnt out, based on his own stamina.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 16 2012, 05:57 AM
Post #110

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

...and you guys say that, I'M crazy, smh. Some of these posts literally had me tears, from laughter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Good stuff though.

So I lucked up on fight night, I got to the Thomas & Crack Center, and saw a guy selling some last minute tickets. I told him that I was trying to get rid of this one extras ticket of mine, that has been chapping my ass for the last 3 days. I traded both of my $75 tickets, for a $200 ticket and he threw in a $20 bill for my "troubles".

Not a bad deal at all. I almost thought I got tricked when I saw this fat Argentinian dude in my seat (at the end of the isle), but he quickly explained that he was too damn fat to sit in his middle seat, he showed me the stub, and we were good.

I ended u sitting by this Mexican cat that looked like a mix of Canelo and Gomez, but his girlfriend...boy, boy boy...that motherfucker was hot to the 25th power, no lie. She was "cute". As most of us know, a cute chick usually outshines a dime...its just something about them.

As for the fight, it was a bit different from my live, $200 view (which was nice). I saw a few comparative rounds for Julio, the 2nd, a late round (maybe 10 or 11, cant remember), and the round with the 2 knockdowns. I was a bit smashed, and it was SO much going on in there. The display wreaked of that shitty, low budget, Top Rank banner and trimmings, hardly any HBO logos there, so I'll have to watch it at home. No timers either during the rounds, so shit was happening faster than I anticipated, and some rounds just seemed eternal.

So there you have it, I definitely gave Julio the 2nd rd, that late comparative round, and obviously the round with the knockdowns. Sergio was killing me with the sticking and moving, but there was no need to fight Julio's fight (trading). Why give an opportunity to fight the fight that's actually his only chance of winning?

Sergio executed the perfect game plan, but let's be honest, Julio's body work throughout the WHOLE fight, took its toll. Those headshots during the fight, made their mark as well. Sergio got a bit too careless towards the end, and that's where the shit kicked in. I cant say I was surprised, because he had been hitting Sergio with "canvas tasters" throughout the fight, but his legs allowed him to flee from harm.

Julio got caught in some exchanges, and I thought he was gonna go down a FEW times. Martinez pulled out the stops tonight...that uppercut, inside fighting, and continuous attempts to the body, impressed me. Trust me, there were quiet Mexicans in there, but they still had faith in the reluctant Julio. Now THAT shit was pissing me off. From the outside, it wasn't his time, but he froze a few times when they got in close quarters.

This performance by Sergio, put me in the mind of the Khan/Maidana bout. Khan was supposed to stay away from the big puncher, and fight on the outside, which he did for a while, but he got near/against the ropes, and got comfortable/careless...all of his work was about to go down the shitter because of it.

Let's be real here, though Sergio dominated the fight, he was knocked down a couple of pegs because of the shots that he was taking BEFORE the knockdowns even occurred. The knockdowns just sealed the deal, in my opinion. He left the "almost factor" up for discussion...he beat Julio easily, but "almost" lost it all. Some out there would even call for a rematch, on the strength of that alone.

I'm not even sure a rematch is necessary here, but shit, if a guy basically gets his ass kicked over a round of 10 or 11 rounds, then BOOM, he goes down twice and barely survives...I can imagine the rematch talks are already brewing. Either Chavez can take punishment that well, or Sergio just slipped up and let his guard down, your choice.

Overall, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch, if Arum decides to lift his stubby, wrinkled, finger and at least make a conscious effort to let us know that he actually gives a shit about an undercard. This one stunk, and made no sense, other than the Beltran Jr./Martinez bout. His undercards aren't usual half bad, but this one stunk.

Chavez proved that he's not just some spoiled kid, but he cant actually hold his own in there. I need to go back and watch this one at home, to make a better assessment. This is all that I have in the meantime...

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:39 PM