Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canelo Alvarez to fight Alfredo Angulo
KOpower
post Jan 11 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,081

Should be an exciting fight, but certainly not worth the $50 they will charge for PPV. I see Canelo winning a fight that has some scary moments for Big Red.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Jan 11 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,090

i think it'll be a good fight, but have canelo taking it within 8-9 rds. angulo has that straight forward style with little to no head movement, so i see alvarez reeling off those 5-6 punch combos pretty easily. red's gotta watch that left hook on the inside, but he boxes pretty well so as long as establishes the jab and moves on the outside should be ok. el perro also had that wicked injury to his orbital bone against lara, and from what i understand, those aren't easy to heal and can be re-aggravated. shame because i'd like to see perro's career go a long ways, but with possible back to back losses as well as some brutal punishment from kirkland, lara, and now maybe alvarez...his career might be cut short.

This post has been edited by ryustuh: Jan 11 2014, 02:19 PM

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 11 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 11 2014, 12:59 PM) *
Should be an exciting fight, but certainly not worth the $50 they will charge for PPV. I see Canelo winning a fight that has some scary moments for Big Red.

Why is this a PPV? It destroys much of the good, if not great action this fight will provide. More money would actually be generated if this was a non-PPV. I'll bet it may even be $60 SD and $70 HD. As action intense as this match could be, it's not worth that kind of money.

This would be the kind of fight that would be a gem under the ORIGINAL HBO Lou Dibella leadership of Boxing After Dark back in the mid 90's-2000's.

Jack

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Jan 11 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Canelo is way too big to fight in a BAD type of card. I agree that this would be a GREAT fight for regular Showtime, but it sounds like Canelo's non-PPV days are over unless he starts losing. Showtime and GBP need a 2nd PPV fighter next to Floyd and they are hoping that Canelo turns into that.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 11 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 11 2014, 01:59 PM) *

Why are you always making a fuss about what's PPV worthy or not?

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Jan 11 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

Canelo still has star power so gb is gonna capitalize on that....

Canelo should, on paper, win this fight.

But going from the best boxer in the world to an all out assault fighter could be a bit of adjustment.. but easy work never the less..

Keep a weather eye out for an upset tho

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Jan 11 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 11 2014, 04:00 PM) *
Canelo still has star power so gb is gonna capitalize on that....

Canelo should, on paper, win this fight.

But going from the best boxer in the world to an all out assault fighter could be a bit of adjustment.. but easy work never the less..

Keep a weather eye out for an upset tho

I would like to see an upset. That would really make things interesting. I think Angulo will be competitive, but Canelo ends up stopping him late in the fight.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 11 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Good fight Angulo is going to give a good account of himself but I still see him losing

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Jan 11 2014, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 11 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #9

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 11 2014, 01:35 PM) *
Why are you always making a fuss about what's PPV worthy or not?

I think assessment of PPV worthiness is important for economic reasons, the fight, the fighters themselves are they worthy of a PPV card? If these matches were sill $40 and under, I could see less of a need for a PPV or not evaluation, but at $60-$70 a shot, just about every fight that isn't the automatic closed-circuit TV relm deserves the question of is it PPV caliber?

The point being that if you look at how awesome that whole regular four-hour non-PPV Maidana-Broner card was, you can see why just about every big fight should be regular Showtime or HBO. PPV encompasses economic and promoter greed, and I don't think ANY fight should be PPV, unless it is the kind of closed-circuit match from the 60's-80's were a PPV was automatically expected. I want to thank Showtime again for the excellent and non-PPV Maidana card!!!! That's what boxing and it's cards should represent!

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 11 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 11 2014, 08:03 PM) *
Good fight Angulo is going to give a good account of himself but I still see him losing

This

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 09:16 PM