Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High school boxing programs
Gambit808
post Sep 11 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

I'm not 100% sure which schools already have a boxing program, but if there are any, then boxing should be as mandatory to all high schools as they are with sports like wrestling (which helps MMA out in a big way) or even football, basketball, lacrosse etc., and some of these multi-millionaire boxers/promoters should help support and fund this if they really knew what was beneficial to the sport. I mean I know there are boxers/promoters who do, do there part in helping and doing what's right for the youth and their communities, but something of this magnitude I feel could help everyone.

And we wonder why the American Heavyweight division is damn near none existent, why, because most of these athletic beast are going to the other sports I jus named.

Think about the positive effect this would have on not just the sport, but also the youth who either get bullied and can't defend themselves or those who just choose to wanna be a fighter but don't have a boxing gym in there community. People can look at boxing as a brutal sport, but it, like many other sports take a lot of discipline and there's a lot to learn from it also.

Am I alone with this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 11 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

great post! excellent point!!!

i know there are schools in nyc, chicago and l.a. that have boxing programs in place. my high school had it the year before i went there...and stopped it. i was so disappointed...but they started it back up about 10yrs ago. it only makes sense to tie boxing to schools and have it be a farming system. there are several colleges that have boxing programs and some are producing decent talent. more can and should be done. i think it's just a matter of time.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 11 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Wow...this topic just made me think of something. I saw a wild video this morning, about children and violence. I know that boxing teaches discipline and that's what my dad taught me when he introduced me to it.

However, as we all know, boxing is and can be a brutal sport. I'm sure that these programs were taken out schools, because of funding, or for the fact that it does teach people a "way to hurt others"...this is the viewpoint of outsiders with power, who have no idea of how the sport is taught and how true fighters are supposed to conduct themselves.

With that in mind, check out this thread I opened in the General Discussion forum. http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=28911 Again, as soon as one of those outsiders with power, sees videos like this, they're sure to try and remove violence, or any "forms" of it from schools.

I'm guessing that I haven't heard of any schools here in GA with boxing programs, because this state is cheap as shit.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 11 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

i wanted boxing at my high school, begged my PE teacher to have a few sessions, but he said it wasn't worth it, personally I'd rather have to lads beating the shit out of each other in the ring with head guards rather in the playground, I actually think it's healthy, me and my friends were at each others necks at some points and we sparred, left it in the ring and that was it

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 11 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I haven't heard or seen any here in Chicago, this is a basketball city so if they tried it, good luck with trying to convert these pussified kids

Something like this could work. With the right funding and the right faces to push it and promote it to these h.s. kids. The only issue is, you have big cities like Chi, LA, NYC..let's add ATL just for the sake of it. The south produces football players. The other 3 cities are basketball states. These kids figure they can make millions easier then getting punched in the face.

It's not many millionaires in boxing, but in those other sports, bench players who play once or twice a season get 2 or 3 milli just to fill out a roster. Add that to the fact that today's kids aint cut from a cloth of other generations. They drawn to cash not the sport, when boxing resurges in the eyes of the public, it'll be like this HW drought never happened but until then it aint gon happen. There's an MMA program out in Cali called Blackmat that does something similar to what your describing and they get funding and teach and train whoever wants to learn. It takes a special person to decide to be a fighter, no offense to those other sports but it doesn't take the same level of mental and physical commitments as boxing does

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 11 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

That's doubtful. They have schools in our areas that don't even allow graphic ts because some promote violence/sex/drugs and it causes envy or has people take regular t shirts and use them as expressions of gang involvement. I doubt they would allow a program where kids are pit against each other to get hurt intentionally.

The police activity leagues are the ones that fund the gyms in our area although there are a few private ones. They take notes of weight loss and strength improvements and the government gives them grants if they see progress.

This post has been edited by checkleft: Sep 11 2012, 10:49 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 12 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 11 2012, 11:30 PM) *
I haven't heard or seen any here in Chicago, this is a basketball city so if they tried it, good luck with trying to convert these pussified kids

Something like this could work. With the right funding and the right faces to push it and promote it to these h.s. kids. The only issue is, you have big cities like Chi, LA, NYC..let's add ATL just for the sake of it. The south produces football players. The other 3 cities are basketball states. These kids figure they can make millions easier then getting punched in the face.

It's not many millionaires in boxing, but in those other sports, bench players who play once or twice a season get 2 or 3 milli just to fill out a roster. Add that to the fact that today's kids aint cut from a cloth of other generations. They drawn to cash not the sport, when boxing resurges in the eyes of the public, it'll be like this HW drought never happened but until then it aint gon happen. There's an MMA program out in Cali called Blackmat that does something similar to what your describing and they get funding and teach and train whoever wants to learn. It takes a special person to decide to be a fighter, no offense to those other sports but it doesn't take the same level of mental and physical commitments as boxing does

de la salle institute on 35th st and leo on 79th both have boxing programs. i believe there are 7 schools total and they're all private schools.

the thing about boxing....u don't have to be 6'4, u don't have to weigh 300lbs...and u don't have to run fast as shit to be a good boxer. boxing doesn't discriminate. men/women of any size and background can participate. u can't say that about other sports.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 12 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 11 2012, 11:47 PM) *
That's doubtful. They have schools in our areas that don't even allow graphic ts because some promote violence/sex/drugs and it causes envy or has people take regular t shirts and use them as expressions of gang involvement. I doubt they would allow a program where kids are pit against each other to get hurt intentionally.

The police activity leagues are the ones that fund the gyms in our area although there are a few private ones. They take notes of weight loss and strength improvements and the government gives them grants if they see progress.

there were/are about 5 or 6 schools in l.a. that had/have boxing programs. crenshaw and taft are the two that i can think of off the top of my head. there is also a special league called ko high.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 12 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 12 2012, 02:47 PM) *
de la salle institute on 35th st and leo on 79th both have boxing programs. i believe there are 7 schools total and they're all private schools.

the thing about boxing....u don't have to be 6'4, u don't have to weigh 300lbs...and u don't have to run fast as shit to be a good boxer. boxing doesn't discriminate. men/women of any size and background can participate. u can't say that about other sports.

they must not have a good one because I graduated hs from Brother Rice and I participate and still attend catholic league events and this has never came up. My friend stays across the street from de la salle and his cousin goes there and he says he don't know anything about it. Maybe they should do a better job of getting the word out there

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 12 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Like I said I seriously doubt it unless they are private schools or something. With all the budget cuts and stuff

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:10 PM