Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prime RJJ vs. Floyd, *disregard weight difference*
Byrd Man
post Apr 2 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,422

I was thinking today, that two of the most insanely gifted and immensely talented fighters of the past 20 years are Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I can only imagine how brilliant a fight could be with these two. Prime versions of each, and disregard the weight difference. Just assuming they meet at the height of each other's talents, skills, speed, power, etc, at the weight they were most comfortable at.

Both have fantastic speed and would have been a nice matchup. I think both are very comparable, and I think unless they got into a waiting match for the other to hit first, so they could counter, that could have the makings of a classic all time great fight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Apr 2 2010, 07:02 AM
Post #2

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,540

I have always said that Roy Jones (on his best night) was damn near unbeatable. I'll take Roy. Same answer for the other thread as well.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Apr 2 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Welterweight

Member No.: 6,422

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Apr 2 2010, 05:02 AM) *
I have always said that Roy Jones (on his best night) was damn near unbeatable. I'll take Roy. Same answer for the other thread as well.

You shoulda stopped when you were ahead. ha ha ha

This post has been edited by Byrd Man: Apr 2 2010, 02:18 PM

+Quote Post
PR316
post Apr 3 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Roy. Faster and more powerful. Stylez put it well. On his best night, Roy was the closest thing to invincible I've ever seen.

He would clearly decision Floyd,

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 3 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #5

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Here's what we said about this one last year...

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...=23294&st=0

My take...

QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ Jan 12 2009, 09:11 PM) *
The following is based on the premise that both fighters had their respective builds at the exact same height and weight when they step in the ring....and that both men were at the best of their abilities....

You were suggesting that Toney and Hopkins had adaptive abilities, and they couldn't do it...well that's true....but first off...Mayweather has more adaptation skills and ultimately, more styles, than both Hopkins and Toney.....those who have followed Mayweather's career will know that Floyd can do it ALL....front, back, and side to side....and that's not to mention he would be NOTICEABLY more active, accurate, and faster than both of them...

Knowing Jones....and we found this out later on in his career....his chin was lacking....I'm sayin' he had an average chin at best....thus his concentration on elusiveness all those years...."WE MUST PROTECT THIS CHIN!!"...

Which leads me to how the fight would play out...the elusive, potshotting, one of a kind Jones versus one of the sharpest, COMPLETE boxers to have done it during our lifetimes....

Logic and history leads us to believe that both fighters wouldn't be willing to engage for at least a few rounds...Jones being elusive and not really committing....Mayweather using lateral movement and sizing him up....many would say BOTH guys would be "running"....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ...but the fact of the matter is...that it would really just be that FLOYD is making this an extended, feeling out process....during this time, Jones would win the majority of the rounds...

but then the real fight would begin...because Floyd ISN'T afraid to commit against someone his same size....so there you have Jones....his plan being to use his speed to gain angles to potshot his way to a win....not so busy....while Floyd....who has supernatural stamina....is now taking chances...using his gloves, rolls, and body movements as defense moving forward.....taking Jones to the ropes and the corner here and there....moving in and out with combos with near perfect timing...I know it's hard for some of you to believe....but Floyd would be the one pressing the action....

While Jones would be concerned about being slick, dancing and using crane technique poses to gain a flashy win....Floyd would be all business trying to gain his win.....concentrating on throwing and landing more punches....and you can best believe Jones would get checked at least once of during one of those episodes he always used to pull....

BUT...it is also during this time...the middle rounds....that Mayweather could lose.....many of you talking about Jones' advantage of speed and power...well....Jones could definitely land a game changer and jump on Mayweather for the TKO....I'm saying that happens maybe 2, 3 times out of 10 max....and is the ONLY way he could win...but there is no way in Hell Jones would decision Mayweather....because his elusiveness would hinder his actual activity....and IF Roy's heart showed up later in the fight, and he tried to become the aggressor....which it probably wouldn't....Floyd would get the best of him....as Mayweather's inside defense and straighter, more accurate, counterpunches would benefit him....

and there you have it.....Jones wouldn't be unhittable against Mayweather....he wouldn't commit enough, and Mayweather would get to him and touch him up....in the end....Mayweather will have thrown and landed more punches.....he wins 6, 7 times out of 10...with 1 or 2 of those wins coming by stoppage....because they're the saaaaaame siiiiiize.

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Apr 3 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Member No.: 1,443

Nah bollocks to that...Jones thrashes Mayweather 10 out of 10.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 3 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #7

SKULLSPLITTER

QUOTE (Maxy @ Apr 3 2010, 04:45 PM) *
Nah bollocks to that...Jones thrashes Mayweather 10 out of 10.

Nice, detailed explanation why...just call it bollocks and jet.

and fYi...Mayweather beats your beloved Whitaker 7, 8 times out of 10...for some of the same reasons I stated above...

Pea would be doin' all his flashy duckin' and dodgin' while Mayweather would be gettin' the more tangible, offensive work done.

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Apr 3 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 3 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Nice, detailed explanation why...just call it bollocks and jet.

and fYi...Mayweather beats your beloved Whitaker 7, 8 times out of 10...for some of the same reasons I stated above...

Pea would be doin' all his flashy duckin' and dodgin' while Mayweather would be gettin' the more tangible, offensive work done.

Nah mate my detailed explanation stems mainly from total disagreement and also the fact that I've paid 15 quid to watch some boxing so I am watching it...although the current fight is pretty shit....

And no, Mayweather ain't in Whitakers class. Whitaker wouldn't have to fight him though because good old pretty boy would most definitely come up with some crappy excuse not to face him. Proof is in the pudding.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 3 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #9

SKULLSPLITTER

Whitaker is overrated....him and his unconventional defense never interested me...didn't care for it...

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Apr 3 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 3 2010, 04:19 PM) *
Whitaker is overrated....he never really interested me.

Really?

OK, guess I'll just have to accept that. Your opinion.

Whitaker is greater than Mayweather will ever be though.....of course, in my opinion. He backed it up, Floyd needs to do a bit of the same.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:36 AM