Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lennox Lewis forgotten?
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 12 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

Lennox Lewis won me over as a fighter and a person. WIth his British accent and locks he had an appeal. He was a gentle outside and a pure monster inside the ring.I have yet to see a Heavyweight execute the jab the way Lenox did. I am wondering why Lennox doesn not get the same fan fair that some of the retired heavyweights get? If he had a personality like a James Tony or Benards Hopkins would he had been a bigger star? I do not think Lennox gets the respect that other fighters get. The humble card and the nice guy card plays great for Manny and Oscar, Shane and others but it seems Lennox was not in that conversation. Do people think that he left the sport early or does his personality not transcending? For what ever the reason I feel Lennox has been wrongfully forgotten about in the boxing community. I love you Lennox!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 12 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 12 2011, 06:59 PM) *
Lennox Lewis won me over as a fighter and a person. WIth his British accent and locks he had an appeal. He was a gentle outside and a pure monster inside the ring.I have yet to see a Heavyweight execute the jab the way Lenox did. I am wondering why Lennox doesn not get the same fan fair that some of the retired heavyweights get? If he had a personality like a James Tony or Benards Hopkins would he had been a bigger star? I do not think Lennox gets the respect that other fighters get. The humble card and the nice guy card plays great for Manny and Oscar, Shane and others but it seems Lennox was not in that conversation. Do people think that he left the sport early or does his personality not transcending? For what ever the reason I feel Lennox has been wrongfully forgotten about in the boxing community. I love you Lennox!

Clearly, you've never heard of, much less seen, any fights of Larry Holmes, huh?

As far as his fan fare is concerned, Lennox had the audacity to:

1. Possess a British accent--for the most part, Americans hate British accents (unless it's a hot broad), mainly b/c it sounds arrogant

2. Beat the brakes off Tyson

3. Not be terribly exciting...remember, he was in the Tyson era....people wanted HWs to destroy opponents, NOT be good boxers

4. Be confident in his abilities...see reason #1.

This post has been edited by bnoles4life: Dec 12 2011, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 12 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 12 2011, 06:15 PM) *
Clearly, you've never heard of, much less seen, any fights of Larry Holmes, huh?

As far as his fan fare is concerned, Lennox had the audacity to:

1. Possess a British accent--for the most part, Americans hate British accents (unless it's a hot broad), mainly b/c it sounds arrogant

2. Beat the brakes off Tyson

3. Not be terribly exciting...remember, he was in the Tyson era....people wanted HWs to destroy opponents, NOT be good boxers

4. Be confident in his abilities...see reason #1.

Sorry, never seen Larry Holmes fight I was probably wasn't even born when he was fighting. I am talking about of Lennox's era. i am not ranking him all time. And if you are judging him off of his accent then that is stupid. He was a gentleman plus he beat Tyson which I won so many bets on. Lennox did destroy his opponents. He lost to Hasmin Rammand ( I know I spelled that wrong) but then came back and took his belts by KO! And he represented his Jamaican heritage. Give me a break!

Larry Holmes ended Ali's career that I do know, I think they spared together.

This post has been edited by Allmenjoi8: Dec 12 2011, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 12 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

lennox, much like the klitschkos, was a boring/reluctant to engage heavyweight. no one wants to see a guy with every advantage imaginable jab his way to victory. there were a few fights where he did what he was supposed to (blow his opponents out the water) but for the most part...he was too cautious for my liking. i think the big fights that would have really defined his career never happened and that isn't totally his fault. the mike tyson fight happened too late and riddick bowe chose to vacate rather than face lewis...and lewis in return chose to vacate twice rather than face byrd or ruiz. his victory over holyfield wasn't really impressive either in comparison to the bowe/holyfield trilogy. i guess at some point all fighters lose...but a guy in his prime and at the peak of his powers should not be losing by ko to guys like rahman or mccall. he redeemed himself against rahman...but the mccall debacle should have never happened.

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Dec 12 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

I think the main reason is because of his upset KO losses to Rahman and McCall. While he could have potentially beaten anyone in any era, he also could have lost to just about any of the champions throughout history. Many of us have a hard time giving Lewis credit for the Tyson win b/c Mike was a shell of himself at that time and was just there for the payday.

+Quote Post
KYLE THEEE SPINK...
post Dec 12 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 1,386

Hasmin Rammand....HAHAHAHAHA. Did you just start watching boxing a couple years ago when Mayweather beat Mosley? He was an arrogant prick btw, but he may go down as one of the best. Prolly in that 10-15 range. Go watch some Larry Holmes fights...smh. Oh, it's Hasim Rahman btw.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Dec 13 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Lewis blossomed late and was sort of embraced by Americans at the end of his run. I liked the way the guy conducted himself in and out of the ring. He would have been difficult for any champ of any era to beat.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 13 2011, 04:46 AM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Because he didn't bring star quality and was overshadowed by other big names.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 13 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 12 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Sorry, never seen Larry Holmes fight I was probably wasn't even born when he was fighting. I am talking about of Lennox's era. i am not ranking him all time. And if you are judging him off of his accent then that is stupid. He was a gentleman plus he beat Tyson which I won so many bets on. Lennox did destroy his opponents. He lost to Hasmin Rammand ( I know I spelled that wrong) but then came back and took his belts by KO! And he represented his Jamaican heritage. Give me a break!

Larry Holmes ended Ali's career that I do know, I think they spared together.

Here's a break for ya:

He was KTFO (not lose on points or robbed by the ref, but QUEER street) by two guys he had ZERO business being KTFO by: Rahman (btw, google a name first...no name should be butchered that bad) and McCall. Moreover, many (myself included) believe he was gifted a win over Ray Mercer.

I like Lennox and KNOW he was an outstanding HW, but people (read: Americans) didn't like him for the some of the reasons I mentioned earlier. Here's a question for YOU: Exactly WHO did he "destroy"? His most important win, IMO, was the 2nd Holyfield fight and his most impressive may have been stopping Razor Ruddock (a guy who gave Tyson fits).

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 13 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes_anim.gif) Gotta love research...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 12:55 AM