Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto...Too Nice?
Cshel86
post Oct 1 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I've been reading around, and hearing this guy say that he will sit down with certain guys (Martinez, Chavez, Alvarez, etc) after he's done with the Trout fight. Im not even sure if Cotto wins that fight, but my point is...why in the hell is this guy taking one hard fight after another, when he's in control of his career?

I'm usually against this, but Miguel should honestly make some of these BIG welterweights move up to fight him. Let's be real, these guys dont have to be do-gooders and make 154 on the head, 150 or 152 is perfectly fine.

I only like when free agents exercise the power to make their own decisions, especially when they're a draw like Cotto. Again, no need for him to take one hard fight after another, when he can make Canelo's punk ass fight somebody of note, who's an able-bodied fighter. Canelo's not a punk, maybe Oscar's the blame for making it seem that way.

Dude gives some of these fighters waaay too much respect, when they still have a bit of work to do. He's getting older, so again, he can chill a bit with these hard fights, and make these young guys actually work for something in the sport.

Half of those mofos just sign on the dotted line of a promotional company, and hope to get weaseled to the top by fighting dead bodies, or incompetent competition (oxymoron).

With Manny's opponent selection being controlled by Bob, and Mayweather being the undecided, money-driven, opportunist that he is...Cotto should put his foot down and run shit, until something changes on both of their ends.

No need to be the nice guy so soon and give these subpar fighters a chance at glory. If you think about it, the older "name" fighters, usually get fed to the young hungry fighters any damn way, especially when the older fighter has lost his edge. So why not stay active, and make your own big fights until you lose your step, and THEN give the young guys a chance?

Thoughts?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Oct 1 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

You got a point, C'.

I have always liked Miguel. He is all about boxing and pride and thats what I am admiring him for. On the other hand I am surprised that this pride of his doesn't drive him. Meaning that he is not asserting himself as THE man in the sport and always plays second fiddle. BUT I really like his move in fighting Trout. I just hope he didnt bite to much to chew.

On a completely different note - That fine piece of lady keeps me on the edge! Still !

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 1 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 1 2012, 12:38 PM) *
I've been reading around, and hearing this guy say that he will sit down with certain guys (Martinez, Chavez, Alvarez, etc) after he's done with the Trout fight. Im not even sure if Cotto wins that fight, but my point is...why in the hell is this guy taking one hard fight after another, when he's in control of his career?

I'm usually against this, but Miguel should honestly make some of these BIG welterweights move up to fight him. Let's be real, these guys dont have to be do-gooders and make 154 on the head, 150 or 152 is perfectly fine.

I only like when free agents exercise the power to make their own decisions, especially when they're a draw like Cotto. Again, no need for him to take one hard fight after another, when he can make Canelo's punk ass fight somebody of note, who's an able-bodied fighter. Canelo's not a punk, maybe Oscar's the blame for making it seem that way.

Dude gives some of these fighters waaay too much respect, when they still have a bit of work to do. He's getting older, so again, he can chill a bit with these hard fights, and make these young guys actually work for something in the sport.

Half of those mofos just sign on the dotted line of a promotional company, and hope to get weaseled to the top by fighting dead bodies, or incompetent competition (oxymoron).

With Manny's opponent selection being controlled by Bob, and Mayweather being the undecided, money-driven, opportunist that he is...Cotto should put his foot down and run shit, until something changes on both of their ends.

No need to be the nice guy so soon and give these subpar fighters a chance at glory. If you think about it, the older "name" fighters, usually get fed to the young hungry fighters any damn way, especially when the older fighter has lost his edge. So why not stay active, and make your own big fights until you lose your step, and THEN give the young guys a chance?

Thoughts?

I get what your saying but it seems like cotto just wants to fight top contenders no matter who it is.

As far as Canelo goes I think he might be a punk... He seems to have it in his head that these wins actually mean something and the whole episodes with Archie makes him seem like a Douche

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Oct 1 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

I assume he is workin' on his legacy.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 1 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Oct 1 2012, 02:01 PM) *
he is not asserting himself as THE man in the sport and always plays second fiddle. BUT I really like his move in fighting Trout. I just hope he didnt bite to much to chew.

Agreed! I dont like his second fiddle approach either. It's like he has the keys to a Lambo, but all he decides to do is gas it up. Drive that shit Cotto! Lol

Getting beat by Austin Trout, would be a bad look at this stage of his career, because he still has some miles left on his career. His legacy is somewhat sealed, though he could take a few more fights to add a feather or two in his hat.

Im not saying that Trout is a nobody, but why risk a loss to a guy who's almost guaranteed to not be a big star afterward? Look at Shane beating Oscar for instance...Shane didn't become this big moneymaker like he should have, and he had the ring appeal to help with that.

Bad management, and his nice guy attitude did little for his career...something that Trout seems to be following. GBP hasn't done all that much for Trout's career up to this point, so Im wondering what they will have for him, in the event that he beats Cotto.

Let's be honest, before this fight was announced, "Cotto" and "Trout" didn't even belong in the same sentence. Lol

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 1 2012, 02:19 PM) *
I get what your saying but it seems like cotto just wants to fight top contenders no matter who it is.

As far as Canelo goes I think he might be a punk... He seems to have it in his head that these wins actually mean something and the whole episodes with Archie makes him seem like a Douche

Top contenders sure better be making him the money that he could be making, not saying that he hasn't made enough already. Floyd picked a young contender in Ortiz, but for Cotto to pick Trout?! Trout? C'mon Miguel. Lol

Im just tired of Canelo at this point as well. As much as I've seen this dude fight, not one of "breaking opponent selection" announcements, have had me at the edge of my seat. If anything, I was positioned at the edge of my seat in a meager suicide or self-harm attempt. If an old Mosley fight announcement had me thinking it was a "pick 'em" fight then that says a lot about his opponent selection. Lol

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Oct 1 2012, 02:20 PM) *
I assume he is workin' on his legacy.

Whaddup Box!

I still dont see how a Trout fight would do anything for his legacy (as I mentioned in detail, above). Think about it, Miguel had to fight guys like Yuri Foreman and an old Mayorga, to get in position to be recognized again. They were reaching awfully hard when promoting the Margarito rematch, but that did enough to get him back tot he top, after nearly being wrote off after the Pac loss.

After that, he scored the Big One (Mayweather fight), and absolutely looked his best, even the face of defeat. One would even go as far as saying that Miguel was almost back to his old self. As a matter of fact, we saw a relatively new Miguel that night.

He looked great losing, and kept his spot at the top...just to pick Austin Trout?! Again, Trout isn't a nobody, but he should've been fighting someone else at a higher level of the division, before getting a shot like this. Miguel isn't the top man in the division, but money wise and image wise, he is. If an old Morales could fight a bunch of taxi drivers during his return, land a Maidana fight, look good losing, and be in the driver's seat for his next few fights, then surely Miguel had better options out there.

If Trout just fought an uninterested Rodriguez, he should've been in there with somebody else afterwards, then possibly a Cotto fight. From the looks of it, Rodriguez was the road to Cotto?! See how weird that sounds? Thank Oscar for protecting his little ass puppet (Canelo), now the division is looking awfully weird. Lol

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 1 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

sometimes these guys have to challenge themselves to stay motivated. otherwise...they end up losing to no name fighters and diminishing their pay days. i get why cotto is rolling the dice with trout. he has a strap...and he's a boxer who prefers to sit back and will let cotto fight at his own pace. i'm not sure trout is a win for him...but i have to admire his willingness to take on a guy like trout. if he were smarter....he'd optimize his options and set him self up for some mega paydays before retiring. in a way...i think that's part of what he's doing with trout.

+Quote Post
mrblackmagicj
post Oct 1 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #7

Amateur

Member No.: 13,723

Honestly, i think Cotto has a lot of confidence coming off his last fight with Floyd, and the fights he had leading up to that showdown, so he is pretty sure he is going to win. i mean, what has Trout done to make him a more feared opponent than Yuri Foreman was a few years ago? And the loss he came off of vs Pac pre Foreman was a lot worse and demeaning than the loss from Floyd pre Trout. Not to mention that if he does win this fight he will likely become the legit WBA 154lb champion, , instead of the paper "regular" champion that Trout is now, when mayweather goes back down to WW or just flat out refuses to defend the title at JrMiddle. So i can see how he feels it is a fight that is worth the risk.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 1 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

i think hes a man who still loves what he does, and still doesn't like to lose, so he picks trout, an undefeated, young stallion to prove that even though he may be older, he's still at that level. I think its a matter of pride, when he lost to Mayweather he feels that he needs to prove himself

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 1 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 1 2012, 01:38 PM) *

Thoughts?

How I feel about Cotto is how I feel about Floyd. I feel both could be selfish and fight whoever they want. Theyve built up solid resumes, have had tough RECENT fights, and have bigtime PPV clout.

I still dont get why a guy who resurrected his career will take on a risk like a fight with Trout, which I dont think will put that many butts in seats. Its like Eminem battle rapping against some youtube legend.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Oct 1 2012, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Oct 1 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 1 2012, 07:05 PM) *
How I feel about Cotto is how I feel about Floyd. I feel both could be selfish and fight whoever they want. Theyve built up solid resumes, have had tough RECENT fights, and have bigtime PPV clout.

I still dont get why a guy who resurrected his career will take on a risk like a fight with Trout, which I dont think will put that many butts in seats. Its like Eminem battle rapping against some youtube legend.

Cotto is the 3rd biggest PPV draw in the sport. I agree that just like Floyd he can fight whoever and make it a big fight. This was a risk. But i think Cotto wanted to prove that he could beat a young strong hungry Champion in Trout like Mayweather did with Ortiz. Although Trout isn't a big draw but with a title at stake i think this will improve Cotto's confidence and make a unification bout with Canelo that much more tantilizing in the event that Cotto wins. This was also a smart move because this will build Cotto's confidence in going against a young hungry fighter in Canelo. Cotto fighting Trout may predetermine how he can faceoff against young champions. This fight also makes sense because Cotto doesn't immediately have to fight Canelo. Perhaps he can challenge the winner of the Berto/Bundrage fight for a IBF/WBA unification and improve his purse, legacy, drawing power, and credibility going into the Canelo fight. If he does this he could also be more demanding of Canelo and order Canelo to prove himself against a worthy challenger. Cotto might as well rack up as many victories as possible because Cotto-Canelo is becoming the Mayweather-Pacquiao of the SWW division. If GBP isn't willing to risk a tough challenger against Canelo they are running out of options.. Cotto has plenty options since he is willing to face any and everyone.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 09:10 PM