IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If Jones and Mayweather were the same weight, and fought each other in their primes...
JonnyBlaze
post Jan 12 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #31

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

You all really like the thought of this fight but I'm not sure how I feel..It's too much to think about..hahaha..How would speed and power play into this??At first thought,I'd give a huge power advantage to Roy and the speed would be equal if they fought at the same weight..Floyd normally broke you down with a lot of precise punches than got you out of there..Roy could KO you with either hand at any time..Floyd could also KO you with either hand,but not in the first round or anything like Roy could if he wanted..Defensively,Floyd has the edge..

I think the Toney/Jones fight is a fair comparison but I Floyd would have faster hands than Toney..The straight right off a shoulder roll is a main punch by both Floyd and Toney..Floyd has a better uppercut off the shoulder roll than Toney did IMO..I'd also say,better uppercut all together..Mayweather throws his shorter and sharper I think..Toney had more upperbody movement(from the waist)..Floyd is better at picking shots off with his gloves than Toney..I like Toney's jab over Floyds..Floyd doesn't EVER admire his work,Toney does..

It'd be a tough fight to call..I'll reply later with an answer..There's a decent break down so far..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jan 12 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #32

The Savage

Spyder,I just talked to your guy..We got somethin set up for next saturday at around 2-3..300 lbs??Geez,hahahaha..It'll be fun..He'll have 95 lbs on me(trimmin up a lot lately so maybe even smaller by then)..I'm 205 right now but on some days closer to 210..I'll be around 200 next week..I forgot to ask him but has he had any fights yet??

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 12 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #33

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

This is truly a 50-50 fight. Mayweather has better fundamentals but Jones Jr. maybe had a style that could trouble him. I'm think Jones by UD 8-4, 7-5...

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 12 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jan 13 2009, 09:00 AM) [snapback]420021[/snapback]
You all really like the thought of this fight but I'm not sure how I feel..It's too much to think about..hahaha..How would speed and power play into this??At first thought,I'd give a huge power advantage to Roy and the speed would be equal if they fought at the same weight..Floyd normally broke you down with a lot of precise punches than got you out of there..Roy could KO you with either hand at any time..Floyd could also KO you with either hand,but not in the first round or anything like Roy could if he wanted..Defensively,Floyd has the edge.

I think Jones is definitely quicker as well with his hands, and to me clearly as well. Mayweather is a lightweight, they are naturally faster these smaller guys. Jones started at middle and went as high as heavy and was still ridiculously fast. I don't think I seen someone as quick as Jones was, especially even at these higher weights when guys are not known to be quite as quick as the smaller guys.
Jones has the power and speed advantage clearly IMO. If he was smaller or closer to Mayweathers size, how quick would he be then? Mayweather has actually lost speed moving up, Jones tended to keep it pretty quick while moving up. No brainer for me.

This post has been edited by Fitz: Jan 12 2009, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jan 12 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #35

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 12 2009, 06:44 PM) [snapback]420042[/snapback]
I think Jones is definitely quicker as well with his hands, and to me clearly as well. Mayweather is a lightweight, they are naturally faster these smaller guys. Jones started at middle and went as high as heavy and was still ridiculously fast. I don't think I seen someone as quick as Jones was, especially even at these higher weights when guys are known to be quite as quick.
Jones has the power and speed advantage clearly IMO. If he was smaller or closer to Mayweathers size, how quick would he be then? Mayweather has actually lost speed moving up, Jones tended to keep it pretty quick while moving up. No brainer for me.

I agree Fitz...

I give Roy the Speed advantage. I don't think power should be questioned.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jan 12 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #36

The Savage

QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 12 2009, 07:44 PM) [snapback]420042[/snapback]
I think Jones is definitely quicker as well with his hands, and to me clearly as well. Mayweather is a lightweight, they are naturally faster these smaller guys. Jones started at middle and went as high as heavy and was still ridiculously fast. I don't think I seen someone as quick as Jones was, especially even at these higher weights when guys are not known to be quite as quick as the smaller guys.

It is and was so hard to talk about what this fight would be like cause it's so far out there..Weight is a huge factor,what weight would this be at??There are too many questions about this match up so I tried to break it down as best as I could..Obviously a smaller guy has potential to be faster..That's why I said speed would be equal since they are both insanely fast and I have no idea what weight we are talkin about..It's a 130 primed Mayweather vs. a 168-175 primed Roy..I almost was about to not say anything about the fight besides I don't like the thought of this..Yet,I decided not to..

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Jan 12 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #37

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

Jones by UD in one of the most boring fights of all time.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 12 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #38

Guests

Yup. A lot of posing and prancing.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Jan 12 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #39

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE(Spyder @ Jan 12 2009, 04:51 PM) [snapback]420017[/snapback]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I can't wait to hear why not getting hit would work against him...lol...I honestly can't think of a scenerio...

Man, this has GOT to be some mind blowing shit!

Ok....here it comes...lol

The following is based on the premise that both fighters had their respective builds at the exact same height and weight when they step in the ring....and that both men were at the best of their abilities....

You were suggesting that Toney and Hopkins had adaptive abilities, and they couldn't do it...well that's true....but first off...Mayweather has more adaptation skills and ultimately, more styles, than both Hopkins and Toney.....those who have followed Mayweather's career will know that Floyd can do it ALL....front, back, and side to side....and that's not to mention he would be NOTICEABLY more active, accurate, and faster than both of them...

Knowing Jones....and we found this out later on in his career....his chin was lacking....I'm sayin' he had an average chin at best....thus his concentration on elusiveness all those years...."WE MUST PROTECT THIS CHIN!!"...

Which leads me to how the fight would play out...the elusive, potshotting, one of a kind Jones versus one of the sharpest, COMPLETE boxers to have done it during our lifetimes....

Logic and history leads us to believe that both fighters wouldn't be willing to engage for at least a few rounds...Jones being elusive and not really committing....Mayweather using lateral movement and sizing him up....many would say BOTH guys would be "running"....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ...but the fact of the matter is...that it would really just be that FLOYD is making this an extended, feeling out process....during this time, Jones would win the majority of the rounds...

but then the real fight would begin...because Floyd ISN'T afraid to commit against someone his same size....so there you have Jones....his plan being to use his speed to gain angles to potshot his way to a win....not so busy....while Floyd....who has supernatural stamina....is now taking chances...using his gloves, rolls, and body movements as defense moving forward.....taking Jones to the ropes and the corner here and there....moving in and out with combos with near perfect timing...I know it's hard for some of you to believe....but Floyd would be the one pressing the action....

While Jones would be concerned about being slick, dancing and using crane technique poses to gain a flashy win....Floyd would be all business trying to gain his win.....concentrating on throwing and landing more punches....and you can best believe Jones would get checked at least once of during one of those episodes he always used to pull....

BUT...it is also during this time...the middle rounds....that Mayweather could lose.....many of you talking about Jones' advantage of speed and power...well....Jones could definitely land a game changer and jump on Mayweather for the TKO....I'm saying that happens maybe 2, 3 times out of 10 max....and is the ONLY way he could win...but there is no way in Hell Jones would decision Mayweather....because his elusiveness would hinder his actual activity....and IF Roy's heart showed up later in the fight, and he tried to become the aggressor....which it probably wouldn't....Floyd would get the best of him....as Mayweather's inside defense and straighter, more accurate, counterpunches would benefit him....

and there you have it.....Jones wouldn't be unhittable against Mayweather....he wouldn't commit enough, and Mayweather would get to him and touch him up....in the end....Mayweather will have thrown and landed more punches.....he wins 6, 7 times out of 10...with 1 or 2 of those wins coming by stoppage....because they're the saaaaaame siiiiiize.

and that's basically the way I see it....not that mindblowing, is it?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Jan 12 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #40

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

NOBODY WAS BEATING A PRIME ROY!

He was too fast and elusive. His hands where just as quick as Floyds, he was just as quick and fast as Floyd all the way around, and he had way more power P4P than Floyd did. If DLH and Castillo gave Floyd a good run for his money Roy would pretty much take his money!

I'm still a big Floyd fan but no way he beats Roy. Hell Judah dropped Floyd, Roy would make him look like Toney Tate.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 07:20 PM