> Ricky Hatton vs Mayweather, I know Ricky got undressed and knocked out
Slumpage
post Apr 19 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #61

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,226

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Apr 19 2012, 08:14 AM) *
The "headbutt king" wouldn't have that much, if any, trouble w/ Hatton. Bradley, to his credit, is a tough, come forward fighter w/ good defense and inside fighting. In addition, he has pretty good stamina. Lastly, don't forget Bradley went to England and gave it to Witter, a fighter who Ricky didn't seem to have much interest in fighting.

Real talk, Hatton ducked Witter HARD!!

Bradley came over an beat his ass calm, that was the 1st time i'd even seen Timmy, was impressed because i always rated Witter as a slick boxer. I wanted to see how Hatton fared against that style, Floyd sorted that for me tho.. Well Floyd, a check hook and a ring post did, lol! Timmy just gave man the full desert storm and ended Witter's hopes of ever getting a Hatton fight... Almost forgot about that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 19 2012, 07:49 AM
Post #62

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 18 2012, 10:53 PM) *
So Hatton's names at 140

Kostya - retired
Urango - Where is he?
Vince Philips - Where is he?
Paulie - still fighting

and Cotto's names at 140
Ndou- last time I checked, he was a stepping stone for Canelo in 2010
Corley - still fighting and just lost to somebody...its on the tip of my tongue
Bailey - about to fight Mike Jones in June
Paulie - still fighting..this weekend I believe

With these two list...Paulie's the only common opponent that is really doing something at this stage of his career. With that said, Cotto still fought an undefeated Paulie, so to argue that Hatton stopped him two years later isn't all that great of an argument.

Seriously? Limited? C'mon P, I cant even get with this. Matthysse would kill Hatton.

The boxing that he learned after he got beat and knocked out over a course of 10 rounds? He fought a Mexican guy after that, and looked shaky, then fought Paulie, which he showed a bit of his "newly found" boxing skill and landed some big shots, but he still showed the same lunging, mauling, overexcited Hatton that we always see.

Still didn't answer the question...was Tzsyu in his prime when he fought Hatton?

When shit heats up, we never have to worry about Ricky running or holding...he usually runs out of shit to do and gets put to sleep. The one fight that I remember him holding and taking a knee in, is the Collazo fight.

Alright, now I know that you're smoking something.

1 - So Cotto's opponents at 140 are better because they are still fighting? So N'dou is better than Kostya and V Philips cause he is still fighting LOL
2 - Paulie wasn't a good win for Hatton cause Cotto beat him by a couple of rounds 2 years earlier - wow just wow - hating full blast aren't we?
3 - Mathyse would kill Hatton cause he lost to Zab and Devon? At this point he would get Urangoed, he needs to show more that what he's shown so far. He needs to prove he can win a fight against a fighter with a respected record
4 -I don't know if Tzsuy was past his prime when he fought Hatton but I know he tore everyone up prior including Zab Judah and he was the favourite against Hatton. Now why do you think he is past his prime, his age alone?
5 - So you remember Hatton taking a knee against Collazo and nothing else from that fight - I don't smoke but I sure don't hate as much as you do.

This post has been edited by pesticid: Apr 19 2012, 07:50 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 19 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #63

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Apr 19 2012, 08:03 AM) *
Yeah you did... I was referring to hatton vs tszyu, Kosta was the "man of the Div" at the time and the lineal champ, Hatton beat him. Can say that he was at the end of his career etc, but a few other fighters tried to retire him and failed, Ricky took everything he had and made him quit. My point was that at 140lb, Cotto didn't achieve anything on that level. Maybe i'm putting too much stock into that signature win for Hatton, but that win made him the Ring champ, and thus "the man". Cotto never made that distinction at 140lb to my knowledge.

Vince Phillips was the only other guy to have beaten Tszyu btw, stopped him in the 10th according to Boxrec, So Hatton having his name on his resume is impressive, regardless of what the dude is doing now, back then he was doing alright.

On the question of Kosta's "prime" status, well he did beat Sharmba Mitchell inside 3 rounds, which was about a year before floyd fought Mitchell, however there was a big period of inactivity before his fight with Hatton, so i hear your argument to some extent. I think he was def at the end of his career and not in his prime, but nowhere near shot or anything.

Manny as the man of a div?? In my opinion you have to be fighting guys at the weight limit to even be in the conversation for divisional supremacy. Manny's been making a habit of avoiding doing that lately, lol!

My apologies about reading it wrong, and thats the first time in a while that I felt good about being wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I agree that Cotto didn't achieve as much as Hatton did at 140, but Cotto fought opposition that actually tested him. Hatton fought guys that were either past it, or they weren't used to being mauled to death.

I think we are putting a bit too much stock into Hatton, and I would say the same about any Calazghe fan running around saying that he was the best fighter at 168 and 175. Hatton's past opponents were boosted up as big wins, because fans and the media wanted him to fight in the states, period. Was he a crowd pleasing fighter? Hell yeah! That's about it though.

Im a bit hard pressed to say that Vince Phillips was a big name on Ricky's record, just because he was the only guy to knock out Tszyu before Hatton stopped him. We have to take into consideration that Phillips knocked Tszyu out in '97, and Hatton fought Phillips in 2003...6 years later when he was 39 or 40 years old.

Now, if Phillips was in the same boat as Hopkins, Marquez, and Mosley, who are still either winning big fights or still involved in big fights, then I would give Ricky the benefit of having Phillips on his record.

Hatton's a 'B' fighter (at best), but dude had a crazy fan base, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in a big fight in the states again...that's if he can get off his ass and leave the coke (not the soda) alone.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 19 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #64

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 19 2012, 08:49 AM) *
1 - So Cotto's opponents at 140 are better because they are still fighting? So N'dou is better than Kostya and V Philips cause he is still fighting LOL

I already explained why Hatton's "victory" over Vince Phillips is null and void. Hatton fought Phillips 6 years after he knocked out Tszyu, and the guy was either 39 or 40 at the time. Phillip's only claim to fame is stopping Tszyu, that's it. Now, if Phillips was still fighting at the level of Hopkins, Marquez, or Mosley at this stage of his career, then I would've given him credit for that victory.

2 - Paulie wasn't a good win for Hatton cause Cotto beat him by a couple of rounds 2 years earlier - wow just wow - hating full blast aren't we?

Never said that. I just said that if somebody wanted to be technical about it, then they would argue that Cotto beat Paulie when he was undefeated. Some would make the same argument about Mayweather and Pacquiao when they both had their way with Hatton (as I explained earlier).

3 - Mathyse would kill Hatton cause he lost to Zab and Devon? At this point he would get Urangoed, he needs to show more that what he's shown so far. He needs to prove he can win a fight against a fighter with a respected record

Okay, so compare Devon and Zab's skills to Hatton's. Hatton would've been slaughtered by Devon AND Zab, and we wonder the Hatton/Judah fight never happened. Maybe it was because of money, and that could've been before Hatton fought Manny, but the point is, it still could've happened.

If you're saying that Matthysse would get "Urangoed" by Hatton, then you're dead wrong. You may want to go back and look at the Matthysse vs Alexander fight...no way in hell Ricky would've been willing to take a Matthysse punch.

4 -I don't know if Tzsuy was past his prime when he fought Hatton but I know he tore everyone up prior including Zab Judah and he was the favourite against Hatton. Now why do you think he is past his prime, his age alone?

If I remember correctly, Tszyu used to take some punches, whether he won or lost. When you get up there in age, you're not supposed to just be getting punched in the face like its no big deal. Im not saying that Tszyu was shot, but he damn sure wasn't in his prime.

5 - So you remember Hatton taking a knee against Collazo and nothing else from that fight - I don't smoke but I sure don't hate as much as you do.

Excuse me, he didn't purposely take a knee...his legs gave out on him and he posed like he was taking a knee. If you're gonna big all big in the chest about Hatton knocking Collazo down in the first round, then save it.

If you want to upload the video, it clear as day that Ricky was trying to run the dude down, he was off balance, and Im quite sure their feet may have gotten tangled up in the mix. It was dead obvious.

Seriously man, stop indulging in hyperbole and making a 'B' fighter into something he's not. Nobody's hating. If he was this big champ that he's being made out to be, then his ass would've came back to the sport and fought again, like true champs do.

He lost two big fights, then turn to drugs for consolation, while leaving his fans wondering if he'll ever fight again. Sorry, true champs dont do that, especially with the drawing power that he had, and the potential money that he could've still been making. Point is, he "built up" by the media, got his ass kicked by better opposition, questioned his own abilities...which led to everyone else (including me) to wonder if he was ever that great in the first place.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 19 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #65

Bantamweight

Nobody is making Hatton to be this great fighter. Hatton was a very good fighter. He was a good fighter on Floyd's resume that's why Floyd likes to talk about it. Hatton gave his all and gave Floyd a difficult time early on. I don't think Cotto can do that.

Hatton at 140 was a better fighter than Cotto at 140.

Hatton was never a Zaghe, he was a "B" class fighter but he was very solid. It's easy to look at Hatton as trash after what Pacman did to him but Pacman did that to a lot of fighters including Morales.

Now Zaghe was the truth!

Nobody has punked Hopkins like Joe did. Holding for dear life, going to the wrong corner three times, faking an injury, crying to the ref and posing as if he wants to fight only to hold and headbutt and avoid being beat down. Hopkins is great but if he didn't hold and run, and faked and cried Zaghe would've did him worse and he fought him at 175. Can no one hate on that.

This post has been edited by pesticid: Apr 19 2012, 09:48 AM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 19 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #66

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Calzaghe landed a handful of clean punches the whole night... he was put on his ass.. he was given a gift decision. Hatton was an overrated but exciting fighter... he stepped in with Mayweather and was reduced to a coke head... Cotto is in for a serious beating unless all of sudden he has become a defensive wizard

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Apr 19 2012, 10:02 AM

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 19 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #67

Bantamweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:01 AM) *
Calzaghe landed a handful of clean punches the whole night... he was put on his ass.. he was given a gift decision. Hatton was an overrated but exciting fighter... he stepped in with Mayweather and was reduced to a coke head... Cotto is in for a serious beating unless all of sudden he has become a defensive wizard

I only agree about the part about Cotto.

His last three wins are all smoke in mirrors. If he doesn't get stopped early he will be running trying to go all 12 like he tried to do against Manny.
Cotto is just not reslient.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 19 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #68

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

I agree..I see no way he stops Floyd from tearing his face off..he on the other hand will miss the most punches he has his whole entire career in a few weeks... really even in his win over margarito he was taking some lumps and is lucky it was not a 15 round fight

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Apr 19 2012, 10:16 AM

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 19 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #69

Bantamweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:01 AM) *

Zaghe punked Bhop at 175 and in the U.S. It's hard to admit I know... Zaghe was a G, Hopkins can be vicsious mentally and physically and one of the greatest intimidators and technicians of the game. That didn't matter to Joe though. The Italian Dragon stood high and Hopkins was crawling on the ground faking an illegal punch and looking more and more like a scared turtle.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 19 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #70

Bantamweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:15 AM) *
I agree..I see no way he stops Floyd from tearing his face off..he on the other hand will miss the most punches he has his whole entire career in a few weeks... really even in his win over margarito he was taking some lumps and is lucky it was not a 15 round fight

Cotto might land a jab here and a jab there. He's got very good jab, I know he lunges with it but it's effective. It troubled Manny early on, knocked down Clottey and I believe Gomez too with the same jab. I see it land maybe a few time against Floyd early and then it's over for Miguelito.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 01:18 PM