> Tragic! Boxer dies after TKO loss, Safety
BigFightFan
post Jan 31 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2013, 02:16 PM) *
No matter how much you try to implement, these dudes are still hitting each other. As someone mentioned, it's the fighter's responsibility for their own safety, and boxing licenses pretty much lets a guy know that.

Now, I will add a little bit more spice to the topic while we're talking about post-fight and long-term injuries. Which sport is more taxing on the body, boxing or mixed martial arts? This seems like an easy answer, but it's not, I just want to hear everybody's take on it.

You proposed a tough question here shel! I'm on the fence with this one.

On 1 hand I would like to say boxers take the most punishment because of the frequency in which they fight and the number of rounds they fight in MMA. That's 12 Rounds of absorbing shots to the head and body. If a boxer is dominated he can't take the fight to the ground or hold his opponent up against the robes until the ref decides to seperating them. MMA fighters can be ruined faster than a boxer though. People can be kicked, elbowed, and hammer fisted in the face until the are knocked unconscious. There is no right or wrong answer, both are taxing on the body

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 31 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

No doubt that they're still trying to hurt each other, but there are degrees of damage.

When it comes to violence, the degree to which it's administered and how it's managed makes a world of difference. Life and death difference. Things like this can't be cavaliarly and neatly wrapped in the box of, "it's the fighter's responsibility."

Re. the question of boxing vs. MMA and long term damage, my guess is boxing because MMA is only three rounds (or is it more than 3? Not sure).

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Feb 3 2013, 10:51 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:37 PM