> Horror/Killer Movies
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 11 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #11

Bourbon County Stout

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (BigG @ Apr 10 2011, 10:40 PM) *
I have all pyscho's and the first 2 halloweens just forgot to mention.

warlord have any recomendations for Japanese Horror/killer films besides Audition and Itchi The Killer?

Warlord beat me to it. Battle Royale is a must-see. FanTAStic premise. It some cheesy romantic crap in it for sure that it doesn't need, but there are some great, great moments. Quentin Tarantino referenced it quite a bit in Kill Bill 1.

I'm actually stunned Hollywood hasn't tried a cheap U.S. remake, though it sounds like this new Hunger Games thing might be pretty similar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Apr 11 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

I'm not a huge fan of Japanese Horror...but I did recently see the trailer for "I saw the Devil"...it looks pretty good.

`Here are some worth checking out the trailer for...I'm sure YouTube will have them.

Taxidermia
Visions of Suffering
In My Skin
The Reflecting Skin
Begotten (over rated IMHO)
Flower of Flesh and Blood
Men Behind the Sun
Aftermath
Necromantic 1 & 2
Singapore Sling (the French film not the crappy B title with Gene Simmons wife)

This post has been edited by BGv2.0: Apr 13 2011, 12:12 PM

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Apr 11 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

Have to bow down to the extensive knowledge of horrors on this board! I just dont get it tho, why fuck with your mind and deliberately scare the shit out of yourself?

I'm afraid I am, as we say in Scotland, a shitehouse

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Apr 11 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 11 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Warlord beat me to it. Battle Royale is a must-see. FanTAStic premise. It some cheesy romantic crap in it for sure that it doesn't need, but there are some great, great moments. Quentin Tarantino referenced it quite a bit in Kill Bill 1.

I'm actually stunned Hollywood hasn't tried a cheap U.S. remake, though it sounds like this new Hunger Games thing might be pretty similar.

They've been trying for awhile, but the Japanese studios were demanding too much money for the rights. A polite way of telling Hollywood to fuck off. I don't blame them. Hollywood would just fuck it up. There isn't a young actor today that could match Masanobu Ando's mesmerizing performance as the silent Kazuo Kiriyama. They'd bitch about not having any lines and then storm off set until they got themselves some cheesy one-liner written into the script.

Look at this pic guys. This is Kiriyama walking away from an explosion so hot that his pupils melted down his face. If you can't get down with this type of bad assery you need to check your nuts at the door and start rinsing dishes in the kitchen.

(IMG:http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10800000/Kazuo-Kiriyama-battle-royale-10889384-1550-1017.jpg)

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 11 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #15

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

Wow, good thread. Surprised no one said Candyman yet. There's nothing scarier than a black man coming to kill you in the bathroom with a meat hook...makes you think twice about those middle of the night pisses.

I saw Jeepers Creepers listed. I always thought Jeepers Creepers 2 was a better flick.

Also, don't forget Jaws. It has scared generations of people from swimming in the ocean. Another old school flick, Rosemary's Baby. Being a pedophile must give him a slight advantage, because Roman Polanski knows how to bring the creepy.

This post has been edited by Spyder: Apr 11 2011, 09:52 PM

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Apr 12 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 11 2011, 09:39 PM) *
Another old school flick, Rosemary's Baby. Being a pedophile must give him a slight advantage, because Roman Polanski knows how to bring the creepy.

You need to make sure you check out some of his other works....for sure The Tenant and Repulsion.

It's really hard to see Natalie Portman win an Oscar for crazy in Black Swan after you've seen Catherine Denuve in Repulsion....

NOTHING beats Repulsion when it comes to psycho women.

And...on a side note, as I'm seeing it quite a bit on here...I've always thought Battle Royale was WAY OVERRATED....I recall the first time I watched it and being so let down....BUT...then again, as I've said before...I am not a huge fan of Japanese horror.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 12 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #17

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

An American Werewolf in London (not that garbage Paris one) is another older horror flick that I think is vastly underrated.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Apr 12 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Apr 12 2011, 12:07 PM) *
And...on a side note, as I'm seeing it quite a bit on here...I've always thought Battle Royale was WAY OVERRATED....I recall the first time I watched it and being so let down....BUT...then again, as I've said before...I am not a huge fan of Japanese horror.

If you went in expecting a horror film, then you were no doubt let down. Battle Royale was a coming-of-age story set to a violent background. The film, and especially the novel, was more focused on what it means to be young, and to be alive, than it ever was on the violence that went along with it. I get the feeling most western audiences would've been more happy just to see a non-stop bloodbath for 90 minutes, forgoing any semblance of the humanity that really drove the film.

If there ever is a Hollywood remake, you might even get that wish.

As it was, the film was perfect to me. I cared about those characters, and their relationships and motivations rang true. You had people choosing to play the game, people choosing to die, people who lived by a code, and people willing to break that code. You had people willing to kill friends, and people willing to die for friends. Just good, good stuff.

+Quote Post
caneman
post Apr 13 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #19

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

Wow, y'all brought up some good ones...I know 13 ghosts was a freaking trip.

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Apr 13 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Warlord @ Apr 12 2011, 10:34 PM) *
If you went in expecting a horror film, then you were no doubt let down. Battle Royale was a coming-of-age story set to a violent background. The film, and especially the novel, was more focused on what it means to be young, and to be alive, than it ever was on the violence that went along with it. I get the feeling most western audiences would've been more happy just to see a non-stop bloodbath for 90 minutes, forgoing any semblance of the humanity that really drove the film.

If there ever is a Hollywood remake, you might even get that wish.

As it was, the film was perfect to me. I cared about those characters, and their relationships and motivations rang true. You had people choosing to play the game, people choosing to die, people who lived by a code, and people willing to break that code. You had people willing to kill friends, and people willing to die for friends. Just good, good stuff.

Well....I guess I should clarify...it's a good film, a very good film...BUT...you have to remember it was like 1997 or so (can't recall specific dates)....and this was before you could rip stuff off the net left and right....and all you heard about was how violent and terrible this film was...and let me tell you...it was work to get a copy...so by the time I did...the hype that surrounded it was huge.

And for me, an admitted gorehound....it was boring and not what I expected.

AND...I think the film still to this day creates that expectation with some viewers.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:34 PM