IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather-Alexander? Not Guerrero? (Topics Merged), Update:IBF Will Not Sanction Mayweather-Alexander (Brook is Mandatory)
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #61

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 28 2013, 03:33 PM) *
till Mayweather beats a legitimate 154lb champion there's no way he can simply beat Trout. I have my doubts about the Canelo fight too, but I think Mayweather outboxes him but who knows, he's shown he can be hurt.

trout dominated cotto. floyd split rounds with miguel. i don't think trout or canelo will be easy for floyd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jan 28 2013, 03:42 PM
Post #62

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 28 2013, 03:15 PM) *
trout dominated cotto. floyd split rounds with miguel. i don't think trout or canelo will be easy for floyd.

Trout definitely didn't dominate. He clearly won. However to say Trout dominated that would mean trout thoroughly outclassed Miguel. He didn't dominate. He was up 2 rounds (115-113). Cotto put up a great fight. That was a nail bitting fight. An ENTERTAINING high energy fight. I'd go out on a limb and say that fight was even more exciting and competitve than Mayweather-Cotto. They both split rounds with Cotto. Trout's win was just more impressive because he was an underdog, and he beat cotto at the Garden. Just because it's expected of Floyd to always win and he abnormally ended up winning under tough circumstances doesn't make Trouts win more definitive because he was the underdog. It does however bring a Mayweather-Trout fight into question which as a Floyd fan i wouldnt want to see but as a boxing fan I'd vouch for. It could go either way.In the ring Trout had just as much trouble as Floyd did. Trout was younger, and used his legs. Trout-Cotto took pace throughout the entire ring. Mayweather -Cotto was fought in a corner on the inside. That style Floyd used imo was way more difficult than fighting an athletic fight such as Trout did. Trout's stamina and ability to move throughout the ring was Cotto's Kryptonite. Trout i was a young strong big JMW fighting a Cotto that just came off a heartbreaking loss. Floyd was a welterweight fighting at JMW that beat Cotto coming of a 3 KO win streak including Margarito. And they both arguably had equally competitive fights.

I dont even know what to say about Canelo. He hasn't faced anybody notable. And as a 154 world champion holding a belt there was NO HONOR in him defending a title against Lopez. He should've taken that disrespectfully. Josesito Lopez is no Roberto Duran. Canelo Mayweather right now shouldn't even be a discussion. Lets see how he does against Trout first. At least Guerrero fought a #1 contender at welterweight.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Jan 28 2013, 04:03 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #63

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Marcus @ Jan 28 2013, 04:42 PM) *
Trout definitely didn't dominate. He clearly won. However to say Trout dominated that would mean trout thoroughly outclassed Miguel. He didn't dominate. He was up 2 rounds (115-113). Cotto put up a great fight. That was a nail bitting fight. An ENTERTAINING high energy fight. I'd go out on a limb and say that fight was even more exciting and competitve than Mayweather-Cotto. They both split rounds with Cotto. Trout's win was just more impressive because he was an underdog, and he beat cotto at the Garden. Just because it's expected of Floyd to always win and he abnormally ended up winning under tough circumstances doesn't make Trouts win more definitive because he was the underdog. It does however bring a Mayweather-Trout fight into question which as a Floyd fan i wouldnt want to see but as a boxing fan I'd vouch for. It could go either way.In the ring Trout had just as much trouble as Floyd did. Trout was younger, and used his legs. Trout-Cotto took pace throughout the entire ring. Mayweather -Cotto was fought in a corner on the inside. That style Floyd used imo was way more difficult than fighting an athletic fight such as Trout did. Trout's stamina and ability to move throughout the ring was Cotto's Kryptonite. Trout i was a young strong big JMW fighting a Cotto that just came off a heartbreaking loss. Floyd was a welterweight fighting at JMW that beat Cotto coming of a 3 KO win streak including Margarito. And they both arguably had equally competitive fights.

I dont even know what to say about Canelo. He hasn't faced anybody notable. And as a 154 world champion holding a belt there was NO HONOR in him defending a title against Lopez. He should've taken that disrespectfully. Josesito Lopez is no Roberto Duran. Canelo Mayweather right now shouldn't even be a discussion. Lets see how he does against Trout first. At least Guerrero fought a #1 contender at welterweight.

i had cotto/trout 9-3 in favor of trout. i had mayweather/cotto 7-5 in favor of floyd. cotto busted mayweather up...and for a guy who very rarely loses rounds...that fight was more competitive than any mayweather fight i ever saw. as for trout...cotto landed his best punches on trout and he just ate them and kept going. at the end of that fight...cotto was busted up. i get ur point about the bouts they just came off of...and u have a legitimate argument there. trout and canelo both bring something floyd hasn't seen in a while....youth, size and skill. cotto brought skill to the table. ortiz brought youth and size. trout and canelo bring all 3...i'll even add one to canelo and that's punching power. even though canelo's resume is suspect, one thing is for certain...he hasn't lost yet. neither has trout. i'd like to see floyd show us how to beat each guy. both are obstacles standing in the way of his retirement. it would be a huge statement if he fought those two prior to retirement. i seriously doubt he faces trout though because floyd sr won't allow him to face a southpaw...especially one with as much skill as trout.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jan 28 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #64

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 28 2013, 04:36 PM) *
i had cotto/trout 9-3 in favor of trout. i had mayweather/cotto 7-5 in favor of floyd. cotto busted mayweather up...and for a guy who very rarely loses rounds...that fight was more competitive than any mayweather fight i ever saw. as for trout...cotto landed his best punches on trout and he just ate them and kept going. at the end of that fight...cotto was busted up. i get ur point about the bouts they just came off of...and u have a legitimate argument there. trout and canelo both bring something floyd hasn't seen in a while....youth, size and skill. cotto brought skill to the table. ortiz brought youth and size. trout and canelo bring all 3...i'll even add one to canelo and that's punching power. even though canelo's resume is suspect, one thing is for certain...he hasn't lost yet. neither has trout. i'd like to see floyd show us how to beat each guy. both are obstacles standing in the way of his retirement. it would be a huge statement if he fought those two prior to retirement. i seriously doubt he faces trout though because floyd sr won't allow him to face a southpaw...especially one with as much skill as trout.

I like that 9-3 scorecard. Floyd got busted but again he fought in a corner on the inside all night. Trout fought a young mans fight. Very true, trout did eat Cotto's punches better than Floyd did. But you do make valid points. Trout is a big threat for certain.

While Canelo has power, i give Trout the bigger chance to beat Floyd beacause i think he's far more skillful. He's more athletic than Canelo and i think he's faster. While Cotto isn't the fastest power puncher in the game i realized trout was able t time his punches effectively. Two things Canelo and Trout do lack a defense. Cotto was catching Trout flush and Canelo even got caught a few times by Lopez.

I think experience and defense would play a big part in Canelo losing to Floyd. He's powerful but that right hand will tag him all night as he tries to hook to Mayweather's body. If mayweather wins thats the only way i can see it happening.

As for Mayweather Trout I have no clue how that fight will go. If Trout is to beat Canelo, Mayweather will probably try to let him face Ishe Smith first.

If Canelo is to lose to Trout on May 4 (Which is very likely) I'd love to see Canelo-Cotto. I would still love to see that fight.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 28 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #65

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Marcus @ Jan 28 2013, 03:14 PM) *
I like that 9-3 scorecard. Floyd got busted but again he fought in a corner on the inside all night. Trout fought a young mans fight. Very true, trout did eat Cotto's punches better than Floyd did. But you do make valid points. Trout is a big threat for certain.

While Canelo has power, i give Trout the bigger chance to beat Floyd beacause i think he's far more skillful. He's more athletic than Canelo and i think he's faster. While Cotto isn't the fastest power puncher in the game i realized trout was able t time his punches effectively. Two things Canelo and Trout do lack a defense. Cotto was catching Trout flush and Canelo even got caught a few times by Lopez.

I think experience and defense would play a big part in Canelo losing to Floyd. He's powerful but that right hand will tag him all night as he tries to hook to Mayweather's body. If mayweather wins thats the only way i can see it happening.

As for Mayweather Trout I have no clue how that fight will go. If Trout is to beat Canelo, Mayweather will probably try to let him face Ishe Smith first.

If Canelo is to lose to Trout on May 4 (Which is very likely) I'd love to see Canelo-Cotto. I would still love to see that fight.

Floyd is a not a true 154 fighter. SO he is fighting bigger guys. Trout would give Floyd fits because he stays composed, Red Head has yet to face a true fighter, Shane was shot and the rest of his competition is rather laughable but let's see. I am down for Floyd to fight whoever on May 4th and then those two guys and then hang them up.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #66

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Marcus @ Jan 28 2013, 06:14 PM) *

i seriously doubt canelo/trout or mayweather/trout ever get made. it's disappointing because i'd love to see each fight unfold.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jan 28 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #67

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 28 2013, 07:07 AM) *
Why do people act like Floyd wouldn't have handled Margarito with ease ?

I mean, motherfuckers talk like his legacy is incomplete for not beating the dog shit out of a cheat.

Ummm because he wouldnt have beaten him easily... I give credit where credit is due. Fighting is a science. Floyd has masterd the science part. If you look over Floyd's resume, he hasnt fought too many cats that have a reach advantage over him. Thats part of the science of hittingh and not being hit. DLH was perhaps the most recent and prior to that I cant even tell you. DLH was probably his toughest fight. We all know, win lose or draw, he fought DLH for the money. Margarito and Williams have a reach advantage over Mayweather as well as a height advantage. So in each of those fights despite the speed deficit that Margarito has, Mayweather was going to take return fire from either of those guys. The science of hit and not be hit would make it a bit more difficult to overcome Margarito's reach advantage over Mayweather. Margarito's ruggedness made him too much of a threat. Mayweather would land counters and straights, but like Cotto, he would get caught on his way out.

For those that keep bringing up how Mosley beat Margarito, well I raise you a Jermain Taylor beat Hopkins twice. Kelly Pavlik beat Taylor twice. Hopkins beat Pavlik. Mosley fought the fight of his life against a shook Margarito. Mosley didnt fight again for almost 18months later which ultimately turned out to be Mayweather. Personally, I think in that 18months Mosley got old and never really recovered from that inactivity seeing that he has yet to win a fight since then.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #68

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 28 2013, 08:27 PM) *
Ummm because he wouldnt have beaten him easily... I give credit where credit is due. Fighting is a science. Floyd has masterd the science part. If you look over Floyd's resume, he hasnt fought too many cats that have a reach advantage over him. Thats part of the science of hittingh and not being hit. DLH was perhaps the most recent and prior to that I cant even tell you. DLH was probably his toughest fight. We all know, win lose or draw, he fought DLH for the money. Margarito and Williams have a reach advantage over Mayweather as well as a height advantage. So in each of those fights despite the speed deficit that Margarito has, Mayweather was going to take return fire from either of those guys. The science of hit and not be hit would make it a bit more difficult to overcome Margarito's reach advantage over Mayweather. Margarito's ruggedness made him too much of a threat. Mayweather would land counters and straights, but like Cotto, he would get caught on his way out.

For those that keep bringing up how Mosley beat Margarito, well I raise you a Jermain Taylor beat Hopkins twice. Kelly Pavlik beat Taylor twice. Hopkins beat Pavlik. Mosley fought the fight of his life against a shook Margarito. Mosley didnt fight again for almost 18months later which ultimately turned out to be Mayweather. Personally, I think in that 18months Mosley got old and never really recovered from that inactivity seeing that he has yet to win a fight since then.

2 things to consider....

margarito was coming off of the fight of his life with cotto where he did take some very big punches and had to walk through fire to get that win against cotto. i thought that bout severely diminished him for mosley. he also had a partially torn retina and a bad back going into the fight with mosley. add the wrap controversy...and u have just the right mix for a poor showing. mosley also had the benefit of watching cotto give a partial blue print of how to beat margarito. not that he was unbeatable before that because williams beat him too, but it was a partial blue print for a guy of mosley's stature. mosley capitalized on all the things cotto forgot to do in that fight.

fast forward to the mosley/mayweather fight and u have to realize that mosley was in camp to face berto. that fight fell through just a short while before the fight was scheduled to take place because of the earth quake in haiti. mosley took a short break and started another camp to face floyd which also included random testing. say what u want about random testing...but for a guy of mosley's age to do 2 camps back to back...and have to give blood randomly leading up to the fight with floyd...he was diminished. i think it was more over activity than inactivity.

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Jan 29 2013, 07:40 AM
Post #69

Featherweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,282

Anyone who thinks Margarito, with his plodding footwork, lack of any notable defense and slow handspeed would have been an issue for Floyd already loses credibility.

The concept that a guy can just keep walking someone down only works if the other guy gets tired in the later rounds (think Chavez vs. Taylor).

Floyd has never, ever shown any signs of gassing. He's beaten Margarito type fighters before, and done it handily.

When people say a prime Pacquiao had a shot of hurting/knocking Floyd out with a power shot, I give that more credit than this idea that a slow, robotic fighter like Margacheato has any kind of chance.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jan 29 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #70

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 29 2013, 07:40 AM) *
Anyone who thinks Margarito, with his plodding footwork, lack of any notable defense and slow handspeed would have been an issue for Floyd already loses credibility.

The concept that a guy can just keep walking someone down only works if the other guy gets tired in the later rounds (think Chavez vs. Taylor).

Floyd has never, ever shown any signs of gassing. He's beaten Margarito type fighters before, and done it handily.

When people say a prime Pacquiao had a shot of hurting/knocking Floyd out with a power shot, I give that more credit than this idea that a slow, robotic fighter like Margacheato has any kind of chance.

Please, name names because I dont think he's fought anyone at WW thats 5' 10" with 73 inch reach. Agreed Margarito would have taken some shots, but Mayweathers power isnt on par with a Mosley or a Cotto. He would have had much more to sneer and smile about in a Mayweather fight. Baldomir comes to mind with his 67 inch reach. Mayweather was somewhat spent at the end of that fight. Baldomir went 12 and lost handily, BUT he was not physically as imposing or strong as Margarito. He didnt have any of Margarito's advantages in height, reach and AGE. If you say Margarito would not have been a very difficult fight, to use Floyd's words, you dont know shit about boxing. Fighting is a science about measurements and Floyd knows that well. He matches up with his opponents based on this shrewd observation. If you havent caught on yet in the last 10 years or more, then you arent in on the joke and have no interest in defending him. Please find me guy not named DLH who had a reach ADVANTAGE over Mayweather in the last 10 years. You lose credibility because you wont find one...

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 11:55 PM