IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I think people that nitpick grammar on message boards are ghey.
TheFonz
post Sep 28 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #1

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

That is all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Sep 28 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #2

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

It's spelled Gay.

+Quote Post
TheFonz
post Sep 28 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

lol

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 28 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Proud American

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

lmao @ spyder

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Sep 28 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #5

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

The title should read "I think people that nitpick grammar on message boards are somewhat educated in theie command of the English language."

Typos are common as muck on a MB but grammar, structure & paragraphs are something everyone with a 7th grade education should be able to grasp & utilise.

To this day I simply cannot type "the" I type "teh" & then have to correct it.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Sep 28 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #6

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

90% of the time I spell 'abotu' instead of 'about' and then have to fix it.

My biggest pet peeve are big endless run-on paragraphs. Break it up.

Should that be biggest pet peeveS are?

Or biggest pet peeve IS?

Or did I write it right the first time?

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 29 2011, 05:13 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Sep 29 2011, 03:56 PM) *
90% of the time I spell 'abotu' instead of 'about' and then have to fix it.

My biggest pet peeve are big endless run-on paragraphs. Break it up.

Should that be biggest pet peeveS are?

Or biggest pet peeve IS?

Or did I write it right the first time?

I think as you are talking about peeve as a singular you were correct the first time. But then I am too unsure as to the 'are' and 'is' as Microsoft Word allows me to phrase it both ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

My biggest pet peeve are people who insist on spelling Pete Sampras' name with an extra 's' at the end.

This post has been edited by The Ollie Reed Fan Club: Sep 29 2011, 05:13 AM

+Quote Post
CrazyBuffalO
post Oct 1 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,128

Someone very influential used to say that grammar and/or spelling is not important in conversations so as long as you understand what each other is trying to convey, because that in itself already serves the purpose of “communication.”

In some places for example where the surrounding is very loud and noisy people don’t even talk anymore. They call out each other by using signs or sign languages. And the information is sent across. That is “communication” and its very essence and core.

Suppose someone points a gun at you. He doesn’t have to say a word. You already know what it means. You raise your hands as a sign of surrender. You don’t have to utter a single word. He knows what it means. THAT is communication.

Communication comes in many forms. Not just words. Even if it comes in words, so as long as you understand each other, the purpose is served. No need for perfect grammar or spelling.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 3 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 28 2011, 07:09 PM) *
The title should read "I think people that nitpick grammar on message boards are somewhat educated in theie command of the English language."

Typos are common as muck on a MB but grammar, structure & paragraphs are something everyone with a 7th grade education should be able to grasp & utilise.

To this day I simply cannot type "the" I type "teh" & then have to correct it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I certainly agree that typos are common on message boards, or anywhere for that matter. I know that you may see me getting in a guy's ass on here about spelling, but I only do it when they're being an idiot and going outta their way to insult somebody else. Trust me, I was the king of this on YouTube whenever I could muster up the energy to make a comment. Hell, most of the time those little bastards were minors anyhow, but oh well.

You're right, grammar, structure, context, and so forth are waaaay too crucial to slip up on...especially if somebody's seriously trying to make a point and no one can understand a word they're saying. At that point, I can only feel sorry for them and sorry for myself for even wasting time attempting to read it.

I recently finished a hellacious 3-year stint as a Juvenile Correctional Officer at a detention facility in my area, about a year ago. In the event that an incident occurred (if we had to beat a kid's ass, a fight broke out, kids trying to kill themselves, etc), EVERY officer that was involved in the incident would have to write their portion of the incident on the SAME report. We would get all the way to the PCM (physical control measures) portion of the report, and it never failed...somebody would ALWAYS misspell something, leave out pertinent details, or just totally fuck up their part of the report. So guess what happened?

We ALL would have to rewrite that WHOLE portion of the report and that made us have to stay at work longer, so from that point on, I became a stickler for writing and grammar. Sometimes, it would be days later that they brought those shitty reports back to us to correct. I was a complete asshole and would blatantly tell other officers, "If you cant write, then please dont get physically involved in this incident". Man those kids would act the fuck up and we already knew what we had to do next, but it was always funny when I saw an incident getting ready to happen, and spotting out the officers that knew damn well they couldn't write, would be getting ready to engage. Never a dull moment! Lol

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Oct 4 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 4 2011, 08:42 AM) *
I recently finished a hellacious 3-year stint as a Juvenile Correctional Officer at a detention facility in my area, about a year ago. In the event that an incident occurred (if we had to beat a kid's ass, a fight broke out, kids trying to kill themselves, etc), EVERY officer that was involved in the incident would have to write their portion of the incident on the SAME report. We would get all the way to the PCM (physical control measures) portion of the report, and it never failed...somebody would ALWAYS misspell something, leave out pertinent details, or just totally fuck up their part of the report. So guess what happened?

Some of our newer members could do with a stint in a correctional facility or in Haz's case another stint in a correctional facility. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 06:28 AM