> No love for Danny Jacobs ?
daprofessor
post Oct 22 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Oct 22 2012, 02:07 PM) *
No argument there, Professor. I still stand behind my statement though. Although fighting in the US alone doesn't mean anything, I still think that staying in Russia is not the way to go if you want to make it..especially when you have (used to have) that title around your waist. Sturm's situation was the same, but at least he got fucked over with that De La Hoya bs decision so he had a reason not to do it. Just my two cents.

Anyways, who do you think Danny should fight ?

sturm is aligned with a big time promoter in germany and they tend to make a decent buck over there fighting mediocre opposition. i wouldn't put pirog in the same category because i think his situation is different. he doesn't have a big time promoter. hbo chose to act like he didn't exist after his fight with jacobs. i guess no one had options on his next fights when he won. they should have...because i think he's a really good fighter.

as for danny...i think they should take their time with him and match him appropriately. there's no rush...test the waters....build him back up. eventually...i'd like to see him get back to a title shot. maybe a rematch with pirog? he's in a deep division.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 22 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 22 2012, 02:27 PM) *
Pirog is a fishy character. He did beat Danny but he beat him while he was in a terrible situation (believe his grandma or mom died like a few days before the fight). And after that everytime he was up for a big fight he would get "injured". And some fishy ass injuries like ice skating accidents and from using the sledge hammer on the tire. And in between all of this it felt like he was making soup cause he fought nothing but tomatoes. And I would understand if the guy was a prospect but isn't pirog like 32?

yeah, i didn't like the circumstances surrounding the fight with jacobs and pirog and at the time...i thought it was a factor. i didn't know about his injuries being fishy with pirog. that happens in boxing. if it's a pattern...then it's definitely worth questioning. i'd like to see him aligned with an american promoter to get him on tv here. i recall reading an interview where he stated he wanted to fight here more often because this is where the best are...blah,blah,blah... hbo should have brought him back after that win over jacobs. as for his opposition...trying to get real opponents to fight in russia isn't easy. not many will go overseas to take a fight against a guy like pirog.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 22 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 22 2012, 02:06 PM) *
yeah, i didn't like the circumstances surrounding the fight with jacobs and pirog and at the time...i thought it was a factor. i didn't know about his injuries being fishy with pirog. that happens in boxing. if it's a pattern...then it's definitely worth questioning. i'd like to see him aligned with an american promoter to get him on tv here. i recall reading an interview where he stated he wanted to fight here more often because this is where the best are...blah,blah,blah... hbo should have brought him back after that win over jacobs. as for his opposition...trying to get real opponents to fight in russia isn't easy. not many will go overseas to take a fight against a guy like pirog.

Well pirogs boat might have sailed since he hasn't really done much and he has no belt anymore.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Oct 22 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Danny Jacobs deserves another relatively safe match up before going into the deep end. I don't mean a tomato can, but nothing too crazy.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 22 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Oct 22 2012, 10:27 PM) *
Danny Jacobs deserves another relatively safe match up before going into the deep end. I don't mean a tomato can, but nothing too crazy.

Ishida

+Quote Post
Plah
post Oct 22 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #16

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Oct 22 2012, 02:07 PM) *
No argument there, Professor. I still stand behind my statement though. Although fighting in the US alone doesn't mean anything, I still think that staying in Russia is not the way to go if you want to make it..especially when you have (used to have) that title around your waist. Sturm's situation was the same, but at least he got fucked over with that De La Hoya bs decision so he had a reason not to do it. Just my two cents.

Anyways, who do you think Danny should fight ?

A match with Andy Lee o Macklin should be good.

This post has been edited by Plah: Oct 22 2012, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 23 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think Danny could be a star in boxing. He has a lot of talent. Furthermore, he is probably the most poised Brooklyn fighter I've ever seen. He has tons of charisma and is very well spoken on the mic. He's very personable and obviously has a very inspiring story. I agree thought that he should be brought back gradually. The mere fact that he is fighting is a triumph in itself. Put him in there with a guy like Corey Spinks. Lol Low risk, decent name.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Oct 23 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #18

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 23 2012, 09:18 AM) *
I think Danny could be a star in boxing. He has a lot of talent. Furthermore, he is probably the most poised Brooklyn fighter I've ever seen. He has tons of charisma and is very well spoken on the mic. He's very personable and obviously has a very inspiring story. I agree thought that he should be brought back gradually. The mere fact that he is fighting is a triumph in itself. Put him in there with a guy like Corey Spinks. Lol Low risk, decent name.

Exactly my point, man. Well said!

In one of the post-fight interviews he said himself he wants to take things slow and not rush it. The title will eventually come, I am sure.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 23 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 22 2012, 08:55 PM) *
Well pirogs boat might have sailed since he hasn't really done much and he has no belt anymore.

did he get stripped? i know he had issues with his back. hopefully he'll be back.

i know korobov is another guy who just disappeared and looked very promising. he was dealing with injuries as well. they get the better of the best of us...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 23 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 23 2012, 10:18 AM) *

i agree with everything but the part about cory spinks. he doesn't deserve the beating danny would put on him.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:32 PM