Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The most important rounds of a fight
klonopinz
post Jun 1 2014, 01:52 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,879

I think there are many key points in a fight, many turning points in a fight where the fight can change, and the tides can turn. There are many moments in a fight that need to be captured and pressed, and willed, sometimes with a game plan, sometimes with heart, and others with conditioning or skill. Here I would like to discuss this, and maybe bring to light some big moments in past fights that you may have noticed something like this, or the lack thereof.

I personally think there are 4 very important rounds in the fight that must be won, for physical or mental advantages, not just against the opponent, but against the judges scorecards as well. In my opinion those rounds are:

1st: the first round is crucial because it allows you to get a feeling for your opponent and what his approach is and also his power, speed, and range. winning this round is very important, because it puts you up ahead of him in points right off the bat. being able to feel out your opponent, yet also take the lead on the scorecards shows the ability to multitask and maintain long and short term goals in a fight.

7th: i think the 7th round is very crucial, because it is the beginning of the second half of the fight, where conditioning plays a major role, and also the moment when the game plan either is working, or it isnt working. this is when guys either have a plan b, or they do not, they either adapt and take control of the fight, or they begin to fall. it can be a big physical checkpoint as well as a big tactical checkpoint. this round also shows the ability to recognize the tempo of the fight, and where it is heading moving into the later half of the fight.

the 10th and 11th: i think both of these championship rounds are important because this can make or break your chance to win a decision, and your heart and will can be that deciding factor that overwhelms your opponent and shows that you want to win the fight. these are arguably the last chances to turn the tide of the fight and edge out a victory. this is also where you can let the fight slip away if you are ahead, this is also where fighters become physically vulnerable, because their bodies are in the stretch and these rounds will reveal the hard work you put in the gym, here is where that work ill either pay off, or it will betray you.

the 12th: the most important round to me could be this one. who ever wins this round really shows the attitude of each man at the end of the fight and that is a big indicator to who will in the fight. this round will show you whether a guy is just trying to survive, whether he thinks he won the fight, or whether he is going for broke and fighting his heart out, going out on his shield. even if you are way ahead on points, the lack of will to win this fight is a big indicator of your overall pride and will to win as a competitor. this round is the most symbolic round, and shows what type of fighter you are. this round shows whether a guy is scared to take risks, has the heart and will to win, has given up on himself, or has been out willed or out skilled. this round ill reveal all.

spill your beans and let me know what you think are the most important rounds, or hat you think are key points in a fight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 1 2014, 05:09 AM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

every second of every round is crucial. you cannot afford to lose focus for a single second. one lapse in focus and you will be staring at the lights.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jun 1 2014, 08:35 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 1 2014, 02:09 AM) *
every second of every round is crucial. you cannot afford to lose focus for a single second. one lapse in focus and you will be staring at the lights.

Thread

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jun 1 2014, 12:27 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 1 2014, 06:09 AM) *

yah but there are always moments in the fight that can sing the momentum, even if you lose focus for that split second and you get a flash knockdown, you can come back and win. 15 round fights had a much deeper grit to them, 12 rounds fights still have poetry, but i just wanted to get into that in general. obviously the champ rounds are important, 10, 11, and 12, but there are also other moments that are very subtle that go unnoticed. i watched a video on youtube of a guy that used to break down fights, and he had a good analysis of mayeather vs hatton where you could determine the entire unfolding of the fight in the first round, and it as generally true. the 2 punches that mayeather used to knock out ricky hatton he began using instinctively in the first round, which i think is worth taking note. the lead right hand and the counter check hook.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jun 1 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

I think round 1 is the most important round of the fight. I always hear announcers talk about a feeling out round. Because of this, many people find the first round hard to judge. This creates a problem in scoring fights, so many time the more popular guy will get the benefit of the doubt in round 1.

Its important for the unpopular guy to go out and set the tone in round 1. Show Mr Popularity that its gonna be a tough nite. If you take round 1 convincingly, thats 1 in the bank. Let the other guy play catch up from that point on.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 1 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 1 2014, 05:09 AM) *

Preach!

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Jun 1 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #7

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

how many losses you took this weekend chi? 2

took 3 myself

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 1 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Jun 1 2014, 09:35 PM) *
how many losses you took this weekend chi? 2

took 3 myself

I still got to look, I know 2 for sure, might be 3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 07:26 PM