Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ricky Hatton vs Mayweather, I know Ricky got undressed and knocked out
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,865

but for the first 4,5 round he had Floyd in very uncomfortable situations even though Floyd was most likely winning most of the rounds. I think Floyd and Castillo pressured Floyd the best. What are your thoughts? Do you think anyone else not named Castillo and Hatton can make things uncomfortable for Floyd. I just don't see Cotto doing it cause he doesn't have Hatton's fire and energy nor Castillo's chin and resiliance but is anybody else there that can make Floyd feel that uncomfortable. I thought hatton in the first half of the fight had Floyd feeling less at easte than in his fight against DLH.

I don't think Pacman is the man because he is an in and out, jump in get out type of a fighter. He doesn't really cut off the ring and bullies you to the ropes. This is the only strategy that could work against Floyd and to my memory only Castillo and Hatton had success where one could argue that Castillo won the first fight, yet he clearly lost the second one against FM.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Apr 17 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

I always say Hatton was the only one with whom Floyd didn't look pretty fighting. (Not counting the KO, pretty spectacular) He is always such a wonder to watch, but not vs Hatton. But he made it work. It was not a beautiful fight, but he did what he had to to win the fight.

Castillo fight was not like that imo. To me, Hatton was more effective...

Same as you I don't see anyone pressuring Floyd like that. Not only because there are no fighters capable of doing it, but also because Floyd would deal with these kind of fights differently at this point in his career.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Hatton was on fire that night, too bad Cortez allowed FLoyd to be dirty and didn't allow Hatton to be his usual self cause things could've gooten uglier for Floyd. Not saying he would've lost just it would've been more difficult for him to clock and ko Hatton. Haton couldn't even hold for a second, while Floyd could push and punch with his left elbow.
I thought it was a good fight though way better than the one vs DLH and Marquez.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 17 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

outside of bull rushing...hatton did very little. he didn't land any clean punches. it was just ineffective agression. floyd was picking him apart. pressure alone is not enough. castillo probably pressured floyd half as much as hatton...but he placed his shots very intelligently. i believe cotto will do some of the same...and he'll take away the counters. i believe cotto is a much more intelligent/capable fighter than ricky hatton ever was...and he also seems to be more capable than castillo.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Bantamweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 01:32 PM) *
outside of bull rushing...hatton did very little. he didn't land any clean punches. it was just ineffective agression. floyd was picking him apart. pressure alone is not enough. castillo probably pressured floyd half as much as hatton...but he placed his shots very intelligently. i believe cotto will do some of the same...and he'll take away the counters. i believe cotto is a much more intelligent/capable fighter than ricky hatton ever was...and he also seems to be more capable than castillo.

Don't agree. Ricky was landing his jab on Floyd's face and he has T-rex arms, Floyd was uncomfortable and even he himself always mentions the Ricky victory as one of his signature. Why doyou think that is? He knew Ricky was game and if Hatton was allowed to hold liek he did in his other fights, he could've possibly gone the distance as opposed to Floyd building up this momentum and putting him out.

Cotto is not more capable than Castillo. I think he will get Gattied

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 17 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 12:17 PM) *
but for the first 4,5 round he had Floyd in very uncomfortable situations even though Floyd was most likely winning most of the rounds. I think Floyd and Castillo pressured Floyd the best. What are your thoughts? Do you think anyone else not named Castillo and Hatton can make things uncomfortable for Floyd. I just don't see Cotto doing it cause he doesn't have Hatton's fire and energy nor Castillo's chin and resiliance but is anybody else there that can make Floyd feel that uncomfortable. I thought hatton in the first half of the fight had Floyd feeling less at easte than in his fight against DLH.

I don't think Pacman is the man because he is an in and out, jump in get out type of a fighter. He doesn't really cut off the ring and bullies you to the ropes. This is the only strategy that could work against Floyd and to my memory only Castillo and Hatton had success where one could argue that Castillo won the first fight, yet he clearly lost the second one against FM.
This isn't really anything new for Floyd. As a matter-of-fact, it's pretty normal. I've seen him in uncomfortable situations several times (i.e. in fights against Judah, Corley, Mosley, etc... just to name a few), but each time, he adjusted and adapted to his opponent's fightin' style. That's 1 of the things that makes him great, but some people choose to overlook that aspect of his ring intelligence. Even though he dominated Mosley, Mosley still had Floyd uncomfortable (momentarily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ). It only took Floyd 2 rounds to adjust in that fight.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 01:32 PM) *

Enough said, case closed.

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Apr 17 2012, 12:58 PM

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #7

Bantamweight

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 17 2012, 01:57 PM) *
This isn't really anything new for Floyd. As a matter-of-fact, it's pretty normal. I've seen him in uncomfortable situations several times (i.e. in fights against Judah, Corley, Mosley, etc... just to name a few), but each time, he adjusted and adapted to his opponent's fightin' style. That's 1 of the things that makes him great, but some people choose to overlook that aspect of his ring intelligence. Even though he dominated Mosley, Mosley still had Floyd uncomfortable (momentarily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ). It only took Floyd 2 rounds to adjust in that fight.

True, but Mosley was never as effective as Hatton was early and Castillo was late. It wasn't just 2,3 rounds with Hatton and Castillo. Mosley got one lucky punch then he tried to survive the whole fight. Flopyd would\ve knocked him out if he wasn't hugging and trying to be friends and not wanting to fight.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 17 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #8

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 01:46 PM) *
Don't agree. Ricky was landing his jab on Floyd's face and he has T-rex arms, Floyd was uncomfortable and even he himself always mentions the Ricky victory as one of his signature. Why do you think that is? He knew Ricky was game and if Hatton was allowed to hold liek he did in his other fights, he could've possibly gone the distance as opposed to Floyd building up this momentum and putting him out.

Cotto is not more capable than Castillo. I think he will get Gattied

Personally, I think he always mentions that fight, 'cause Ricky was undefeated at the time (43-0-31 KOs), plus he ended the fight in spectactular fashion. The check hook started it all. Once he flattened Hatton with that left hook (1st knock-down), he started to put his punches together. If you go back and watch the end of that fight (the actual KO to be exact), you'll notice that Floyd was choppin' Hatton down with combinations, but Cortez grabbed Floyd before he could finish puttin' them together, but the momentum of it all still made Hatton fall the fuck out. I think that's why Floyd loves that fight so much. On top of that, his record wasn't like Ricky's. He was undefeated, but his record was somethin' like 38-0-24 KOs, I think. I think that victory stroked his ego, that's why he always mentions it.

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Apr 17 2012, 01:33 PM

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #9

Bantamweight

Yeah and Ricky had a good resume at junior WW too. I know he faced a lot of bums but stopping Kostya like that was big. He was a big underdog and everybody thought Kostya would flatten him.

This post has been edited by pesticid: Apr 17 2012, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 17 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

I recall many people picking Hatton to rough up mayweather who has never been credited with his toughness.. Floyd took the fight out of Hatton officially yet Hatton's slide in confidence began after LUIS COLLAZO.. the doubt on Hatton's face was evident after the bout..

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 03:00 AM