IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ever been knocked down or hurt badly by a head/body shot?
PR316
post Nov 1 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

I've been dropped by a bodyshot and its definitely not fun, I will say that.

I've been buzzed to the chin quite a few times as well and the one time I went down from a shot to the chin was more due to exhaustion(I had never sparred 6 rounds before)... At that point I could barely hold my arms up and my punches were very weak and my legs were just stiff and couldn't move so it was like I was almost WILLING to take a shot rather than slip or block it because I didn't have the energy to do it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 27 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #22

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

I sparred a guy who was 175 lbs and I was like only 125 or so at the time. He hit me so hard, all this blackness like covered my vision and it stayed there for a second and a half, really scary. Wasn't knocked down, wasn't even on wobbly legs, but that blackness scared me. I think he hit me on the side of the head or close to the ear. I just heard the trainer scream stop, and I guess that's why the guy didn't follow up with another finishing shot. We sparred without headgear.

+Quote Post
mexi-cutioner
post Apr 28 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #23

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,263

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 08:05 PM) *
I sparred a guy who was 175 lbs and I was like only 125 or so at the time. He hit me so hard, all this blackness like covered my vision and it stayed there for a second and a half, really scary. Wasn't knocked down, wasn't even on wobbly legs, but that blackness scared me. I think he hit me on the side of the head or close to the ear. I just heard the trainer scream stop, and I guess that's why the guy didn't follow up with another finishing shot. We sparred without headgear.

Jesus Christ, what boxing gym do you train at? Your trainer should NOT be letting you spar with a guy whos 50 pounds heavier than you if you're only 125 pounds. I walk at 145 and compete at 132 and never spar fighters at 160 pounds or heavier.

I'm a pretty resilient kid and have taken alot of good, hard shots so I consider my chin to be pretty good. I've had a couple standing 8 counts due to fatigue or getting pushed back to the ropes, and was scored a knockdown because I lost balance and my glove touched the canvas but none of those really fazed me. The worst shots are DEFINITELY the body shots. Took a good one to the liver and it knocked all the wind outta me and it felt as if I had been momentarily electrocuted. Body shots imo are the most effective to dish out and the most painful to receive

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 28 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #24

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 28 2010, 06:10 AM) *
Jesus Christ, what boxing gym do you train at? Your trainer should NOT be letting you spar with a guy whos 50 pounds heavier than you if you're only 125 pounds. I walk at 145 and compete at 132 and never spar fighters at 160 pounds or heavier.

I'm a pretty resilient kid and have taken alot of good, hard shots so I consider my chin to be pretty good. I've had a couple standing 8 counts due to fatigue or getting pushed back to the ropes, and was scored a knockdown because I lost balance and my glove touched the canvas but none of those really fazed me. The worst shots are DEFINITELY the body shots. Took a good one to the liver and it knocked all the wind outta me and it felt as if I had been momentarily electrocuted. Body shots imo are the most effective to dish out and the most painful to receive

Joe Louis would spar with really small guys to adjust to their speed to make things easier when he'd get in with a heavyweight..Not always a bad thing if the guy weighs a lot more than you as long as they know not to be throwing bombs..

I'm 200 lbs and I've only sparred a couple smaller guys(normally I spar bigger guys) but I want to start sparring with more smaller guys to get better timing and reflexes so these heavyweights look like slow motion..I've never sparred with anyone 50 lbs smaller though but I'd like to just to have to deal with their speed..I'd never throw a really hard shot on one unless they felt like they could throw everything they've got at me and I'd just go easy on em..I'd hit em good once to keep em honest or let em know I wasn't throwin bombs if they tried to pull that on me..

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 28 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #25

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 28 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Joe Louis would spar with really small guys to adjust to their speed to make things easier when he'd get in with a heavyweight..Not always a bad thing if the guy weighs a lot more than you as long as they know not to be throwing bombs..

I'm 200 lbs and I've only sparred a couple smaller guys(normally I spar bigger guys) but I want to start sparring with more smaller guys to get better timing and reflexes so these heavyweights look like slow motion..I've never sparred with anyone 50 lbs smaller though but I'd like to just to have to deal with their speed..I'd never throw a really hard shot on one unless they felt like they could throw everything they've got at me and I'd just go easy on em..I'd hit em good once to keep em honest or let em know I wasn't throwin bombs if they tried to pull that on me..

Ever spar a guy 90lbs heavier? LOL

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 29 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #26

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 28 2010, 11:56 PM) *
Ever spar a guy 90lbs heavier? LOL

I've sparred with a dude who was 6'8-6'9,260 lbs..That was as high up as I've gone..With the tall guys,it all comes down to footwork and closing distance when they don't even notice it till you're right infront of em..I used to weigh around 205-210 but now I'm in better shape and have been hangin around 200,give or take(more give than take though,I eat a lot)..hahaha..Most I've weighed is 220..I'm 6'2 so 200 is a good weight for me..

How's your boxing going Spyder??

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 29 2010, 01:35 AM
Post #27

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 28 2010, 07:10 AM) *

Well, this was back in Bulgaria when I was 17 years old. We didn't get access to the headgear because the headgear was only for the boxers who would compete. We were like the tripple A team or something and if somebody would show potential, then they get to train and spar with the competing team and possbile compete in the amateurs too.
As far as the guy that was 175 and me being just 125, I've sparred guys 180 and 190 but they have taken it rather easy on me, hard body shots yeah, but not anything really bad to the head. Now this 175 kid was really aggressive so he came at me really hard and I guess in self defense I was nailing him wih one twos and left hooks, two minutes later is when the hit came.

One advice that I could give to aspiring boxers who are in the lower weight divisions. Try to avoid sparring with much bigger guys even if they are taking it easy and you wear a headset, because if you do that on a consistent basis you develop bad habits. Just look at a guy like Zab Judah, I can tell you that this guy spars with big guys all the time, either that ot the Kostya loss lol.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jun 13 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

one time a guy dropped me with a body shot in sparring, it was that point just before the chest that always is weak for me...

+Quote Post
Sunmanken
post Jun 27 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #29

Why can't I diss FH?

Group: Banned
Member No.: 12,621

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 13 2011, 12:14 PM) *
one time a guy dropped me with a body shot in sparring, it was that point just before the chest that always is weak for me...

HAHAHAHA!! This dude is fuckin fragile.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:15 PM